Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DAY X: Biggest Student Protests Ever - Be There!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been wanting to go on one of the protests but have been too concerned about uni work, this sounds good if I'm done studying by then. :mob:

ReputationRep:
    This protest will be a bit useless as it will happen AFTER the vote has taken place...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11892634

ReputationRep:
    Lib-dems can abstain on the issue; even if they all do it will still pass bar a Tory backbench rebellion. You’re wasting your time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I'm no longer going to bicker with you over this. You can't even spell and use basic grammar.

A man was smashed to the floor with baton - minutes later he was dead. I don't need to perform an amateur autopsy to reach a reasonable conclusion and doing so, based on the video evidence, doesn't make me ignorant.
    :facepalm2: The fact that you have no evidence of something and still claim it to be true makes you ignorant.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebos)
    Yes I believe it is, shows how misguided these proposals are.
    Seeing as you do not even have a date you can hardly give a number of people that show up

ReputationRep:
    lets have a peaceful one please and get some 'adults' involved need to show that its not just young people who oppose the fee increase.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way.
    Year 11 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA
    Year 12 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA and have to pay extortionate university fees.
    Year 13 are annoyed because they will have to pay extorionate university fees.
    Universirty students are annoyed because they will have a massive increase in fees.

Say we could get ALL students in yeas 11 through to university to protest in home towns/cities/London that might show our government how annoyed we are...

ReputationRep:
    But lets make it a peaceful protest. Non-violent marches, sit-ins in schools etc. NO VIOLENCE ITS NOT THE WAY FORWARD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Seeing as you do not even have a date you can hardly give a number of people that show up
    Yes, we do. From what I hear, Thursday 9th December 10am, Trafalgar Square

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    :facepalm2: The fact that you have no evidence of something and still claim it to be true makes you ignorant.
    Are you a complete moron? What exactly is the video footage if it's not evidence. If this was a case involving one civilian battering another civilian to the ground, they were caught in the act on clear video footage and the victim subsequently died minutes after the incident, the perpetrator would be found guilty of manslaughter at the very least.

On the basis that there clearly is quite strong evidence, I must assume that you mean 'no (absolutely conclusive) evidence', a lack of which does not mean that one cannot make informed postulations about the event. Scientists do this all the time, There is no 'absolutely conclusive' evidence that the universe started with the Big Bang, but physicists form well reasoned hypotheses based on the evidence they do have, i.e. red shifting, cosmic back ground radiation etc. To say this kind of deductive reasoning is ignorant is frankly absurd.

ReputationRep:
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel.a)
    Put it this way.
    Year 11 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA
    Year 12 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA and have to pay extortionate university fees.
    Year 13 are annoyed because they will have to pay extorionate university fees.
    Universirty students are annoyed because they will have a massive increase in fees.

Say we could get ALL students in yeas 11 through to university to protest in home towns/cities/London that might show our government how annoyed we are...
    I'm annoyed that I have to work for a living.
    Maybe if I get all the people who are annoyed at not getting free money and organise a march we will all get free money??!1q :confused:

ReputationRep:
    tbh, Lib Dems got **** on in the general election, so obviously they should be, for the most part, tory influenced

ReputationRep:
    It's funny watching some skinny undergrads mouth off at the police, knowing that if they- the police- did anything, all they would do in return is make a thread on TSR and claim that they didn't fight back due to a high sense of self discipline, and not because they **** their pants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    good job martin luther King didn't listen to people like you

you're basically saying, " don;t stand up for what you believe in, let your future be decided by a bunch of rich co ck suckers who do not give a fcuk about anything else apart from them selves and the wealthy business interests"

they're about to take your education money from you, they've already stolen your retirement money forcing you to work longer for less, and they're in the process taking your social security money...all for themselves
    "they're about to take your education money from you"- where did you get this money from?

who should pay for education, then?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, students who get EMA are getting free money. But what would they do otherwise? go on benefits? commit crime and cost the state money that way?
    Anyway, yes they recieve EMA, but it means they get A-levels, and so can go on to get better jobs, and pay the money back through higher tax than hwat they would pay in a lower job.
    Cutting EMA and increasing means less students with level 3/4 qualifications which subsequently creates an unskilled workforce, so we have to then either train them (costs money) or source higher-skilled workers from another country, which means education as a whole will go down the toilet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    Are you a complete moron? What exactly is the video footage if it's not evidence. If this was a case involving one civilian battering another civilian to the ground, they were caught in the act on clear video footage and the victim subsequently died minutes after the incident, the perpetrator would be found guilty of manslaughter at the very least.

On the basis that there clearly is quite strong evidence, I must assume that you mean 'no (absolutely conclusive) evidence', a lack of which does not mean that one cannot make informed postulations about the event. Scientists do this all the time, There is no 'absolutely conclusive' evidence that the universe started with the Big Bang, but physicists form well reasoned hypotheses based on the evidence they do have, i.e. red shifting, cosmic back ground radiation etc. To say this kind of deductive reasoning is ignorant is frankly absurd.
    So explain why if its such a clear cut case could they not work out the cause of death in an autopsies

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is some sort of Freikorps I can sponser to take matters into their own hands and squash these weedy putches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel.a)
    Yes, students who get EMA are getting free money. But what would they do otherwise? go on benefits? commit crime and cost the state money that way?
    Anyway, yes they recieve EMA, but it means they get A-levels, and so can go on to get better jobs, and pay the money back through higher tax than hwat they would pay in a lower job.
    Cutting EMA and increasing means less students with level 3/4 qualifications which subsequently creates an unskilled workforce, so we have to then either train them (costs money) or source higher-skilled workers from another country, which means education as a whole will go down the toilet.
    What would they do otherwise?
    Get a job...

Following your reasoning, everyone who doesn't get EMA becomes a criminal.

A-levels do not automatically mean better jobs
    I would be quite surprised if you analysed someone who has 3 C's in Media and Film Studies and Sociology and came to the conclusion that they were going to have a better job than a plumber- I'm not even going to talke in terms of usefulness.
    Cutting EMA means cutting those who are unlikely to use the oppurtunities offered.
    Apprenticeships=paid on the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    What would they do otherwise?
    Get a job...

Following your reasoning, everyone who doesn't get EMA becomes a criminal.

A-levels do not automatically mean better jobs
    I would be quite surprised if you analysed someone who has 3 C's in Media and Film Studies and Sociology and came to the conclusion that they were going to have a better job than a plumber- I'm not even going to talke in terms of usefulness.
    Cutting EMA means cutting those who are unlikely to use the oppurtunities offered.
    Apprenticeships=paid on the job

No, what it means is less people leaving school with level 3/4 qualifications which means a unskilled workforce.
    Ane we're in a recession, so companies are cutting back... jobs and apprenticeships. Yes, there are apprenticeships. However, there are not enough...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.