Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Go and talk to your tutors. University is quite a learning curve, especially if you are living away from home, and I can only hope to get better too. I imagine you, with enough help, can get those marks back up when they really matter.

ReputationRep:
    I stopped reading after "Well I am in my first year, first term.."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)
    I didn't mean for it to be patronising and offensive! Apologies for anyone I have upset.
    Don't apologise, it's just the people on this forum. A lot of them are ***** who will jump at you at the slightest mistake.

ReputationRep:
    2:2 isn't all that much to be worried about so early on in the course; a lot of people completely fail their first couple of assignments. It's all about the feedback you receive from your tutors and then working on that in order to improve your grades

ReputationRep:
    Step up.

ReputationRep:
    I had a third on my first few essays during my first year took me 2-3 essays/reports to figure out how to write them properly I then got something like 8 1sts in a row.

Although in my 2nd year I got 2.1s for 75% of my work and one 2.2 I catastrophically failed one module and it dragged me down to 54%..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Don't apologise, it's just the people on this forum. A lot of them are ***** who will jump at you at the slightest mistake.
    Thanks. I just thought 2.2's for the start of your uni course isn't bad tbh!

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: it's his first term. Not everyone will get amazing grades first term because they are still finding their feet. Jesus.

What is with the snobbery on TSR? Oh that's right, expected to be perfect first time round on here aren't you, no such thing as practice makes perfect right?

ReputationRep:
    The first year does not count towards the final mark, so use it to take on constructive criticism, collaborate with peers, and work on improving your technique. How much time do you spend on each piece of work? Which area of it are you struggling on in particular?

ReputationRep:
    When I started Law (I changed to maths after one year as I didn't enjoy it) they told me that they mark essays and coursework to the same standard throughout your entire time there. They said to me don't expect to get an A or a First in first year as it's incredibly difficult and those sort of grades come with experience. This was echoed by the fact that only 2 people in the entire year got an A in the first few essays we had to do.
    The lecturers actually told us that we should be proud of getting a C/2:2 grade if we managed it.

What they DID say was don't give up, as long as you continue to put in the work, you'll improve over time and you could still end up with a First.
    Just make sure you get feedback on everything you do - if something is handed back to you and they point out a mistake and their correction is confusing such that you're not entirely sure about what it means - GO SEE THEM. They have office hours for this very fact, and lecturers LIKE to see students coming to see them if they're confused about something as it shows that they're committed to the work.

A 2:2 is certainly not BAD, I wouldn't say it's "very good" but at the same time I would still make sure you take a bit of pride in ALL of the work you do that earns you a grade.

ReputationRep:
    rmemebr that 2.2 is good for first year because youre marked at the same standard as third years are...hence why you kind of have to improve.

At least this is what happens at my uni (durham)

ReputationRep:
    God, too true.

ReputationRep:
    Get feedback, face to face if possible, familiarise yourself with the examples and practice practice practice. It sounds like you're back at school, but frankly undergraduate is not that different. Don't expect to get it correct the first time around. The biggest difference between uni and school is that noone will be checking that you do your work. It's down to you. The study methods, etc are about the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)
    2.2 is brilliant!
    It's brilliant if you like to settle for mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    It's brilliant if you like to settle for mediocrity.
    sigh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.