Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sick of these demanding students Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    And how do you suggest the government pay for these increased loans while they are cutting pretty much all spending?
    You can put a small interest for these loans!
    It is not as if, the goverment are not going to get the money back!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Whatever helps you sleep at night, bro.

But the fact is, if you can't do a 'real degree', you certainly shouldn't be criticising others, because frankly, 10% is utterly pathetic.
    It shows how thick you are.
    If I could not do the degree, I would not been offered the degree course in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics2011)
    You can put a small interest for these loans!
    It is not as if, the goverment are not going to get the money back!!
    I mean specifically now. The government pays the university fees during your degree. So if we were to loan £20,000 a year for fees, then the government would have to get that money from somewhere.

This is actually a problem with the proposed £9000 fees. Because of the length of time to pay back the loan (if its paid back at all) its arguable that the treasury will actually be worse off than if it carried on with the current system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    Come back and tell us we're all stupid when you learn to spell and use grammar.
    Exactly! While I agree that university is not a "birth right", it's a bit hypocritical to refer to current students as 'Tom, **** and Harry', when he/she clearly cannot write adeptly.

ReputationRep:
    It shows how thick you are.
    If I could not do the degree, I would not been offered the degree course in the first place!
    Wow! You should write that on your graduate applications right next to "3rd class honors".

ReputationRep:
    Yes it will great if universities were free like the old days, but guess what, only 5% went so the country could cope with it.

Now over 40% are going to university, mostly thanks to making a levels easy so tom,**** and harry can all go and waste tax payers money, doing mickey mouse degrees and getting drunk and have one night stands.

You student all want a world class universities and yet you don't want to pay for your share.

countries across the world are building billion pound universities while the UK is falling behind due to lack of founds.
    Top top nobel prize lectures are all going to the USA because they pay more!

The goverment can not build billion pound universities with tax papers money!

University is not a birth right!

I am not rich, but I am happying to pay £9000 a year, its a lot cheaper than USA!
    I hate the way university is done on the cheap in the UK.

Stop complaining and pay for what you use!

We need to compare to USA!
    Why should the great UK universities be 2nd best??
    UK lead the way in university education and we should try and be number one again!

next 10 years people like you will be complaining that UK degrees are not respected as much any more...boo hoo hoo
    Are you doing English at Oxford then?

ReputationRep:
    I mean specifically now. The government pays the university fees during your degree. So if we were to loan £20,000 a year for fees, then the government would have to get that money from somewhere.

This is actually a problem with the proposed £9000 fees. Because of the length of time to pay back the loan (if its paid back at all) its arguable that the treasury will actually be worse off than if it carried on with the current system.
    The 20,000 with not come over night!
    it will start with 9,000

and over the years when top universities need more funding to stay at the top they will ask to put up the fee, and we will let them

Even the Arabs built a billion pound university recently...GO LOOK IT UP!

treasury will actually be worse off?LOL right now they get 3000 back,what about the money they pay and not get it back? money down the drain!

ReputationRep:
    The 20,000 with not come over night!
    it will start with 9,000

and over the years when top universities need more funding to stay at the top they will ask to put up the fee, and we will let them

Even the Arabs built a billion pound university recently...GO LOOK IT UP!
    You aren't answering the question.
    If the government are going to give £20,000 a year loans to students, where does that money come from? Most students aren't going to pay back the entire loan with fees at £9k, let alone £20k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Wow! You should write that on your graduate applications right next to "3rd class honors".
    A third class in physics from a decent uni is better than a ****ty arts from a crap uni!

ReputationRep:
    A third class in physics from a decent uni is better than a ****ty arts from a crap uni!
    Too bad 10% isn't a third class, huh?

ReputationRep:
    You aren't answering the question.
    If the government are going to give £20,000 a year loans to students, where does that money come from? Most students aren't going to pay back the entire loan with fees at £9k, let alone £20k.
    Are you simple?
    Not all student will pay 20,000 a year, only the ones who go to the top universites!
    It is not as if 40% of young people will need 20,000 a year!

We spend 30,000 a year to lock up scum in jails!!

The weak universities might charge, 6000 or 7000 what ever...supply and demand determines

ReputationRep:
    Tax paper's money aye?

ReputationRep:
    Best degree that cost you a arm an a leg does not insure a job in the field you studied.

ReputationRep:
    Are you simple?
    Not all student will pay 20,000 a year, only the ones who go to the top universites!
    It is not as if 40% of young people will need 20,000 a year!

We spend 30,000 a year to lock up scum in jails!!

The weak universities might charge, 6000 or 7000 what ever...supply and demand determines
    Are you simple more like.
    No matter how many or few charge £20,000. Where does that money come from? We are CUTTING funding to pretty much everything at the moment because of the deficit. We don't have the money to suddenly fund £20,000 a year degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that its not realistic. But thats what I would like to see.
    My main point against the OP is that he keeps going on about how we need to compete with america, and higher fees will help us do that. But that is BS. Unis will not see any extra money than what they get now.
    id say we are competative atm and that if the funding is being cut, higher fees will help reduce the defecit to help us maintain the current state (how effective it will be no one knows)

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to see liverpool hope try and charge a penny more than the current £3,000 a year.

justification of value for money would go out the window

ReputationRep:
    I am the one who is doing a physics degree!
    Come back when you can do a real degree you loser!
    :curious: Since when is chemistry not a real degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it will great if universities were free like the old days, but guess what, only 5% went so the country could cope with it.

Now over 40% are going to university, mostly thanks to making a levels easy so tom,**** and harry can all go and waste tax payers money, doing mickey mouse degrees and getting drunk and have one night stands.

You student all want a world class universities and yet you don't want to pay for your share.

countries across the world are building billion pound universities while the UK is falling behind due to lack of founds.
    Top top nobel prize lectures are all going to the USA because they pay more!

The goverment can not build billion pound universities with tax papers money!

University is not a birth right!

I am not rich, but I am happying to pay £9000 a year, its a lot cheaper than USA!
    I hate the way university is done on the cheap in the UK.

Stop complaining and pay for what you use!

We need to compare to USA!
    Why should the great UK universities be 2nd best??
    UK lead the way in university education and we should try and be number one again!

next 10 years people like you will be complaining that UK degrees are not respected as much any more...boo hoo hoo
    You give physics undergrads an horrific name, you just sound completely retarded.
    People are prepared to pay for their education but the government has cut 90% of its funding for higher education, thats why people are pissed off.

We all expect to pay for it but imagine you're planning to buy a house that will cost you £350 000 and you prepare yourself for it, yet just before you buy it they change the asking price to £900 000, you'd be a little hacked off amirite?

ReputationRep:

No - it's not because A-levels are easy. It's because Labour made 35 polytechnic colleges (which were all good at providing vocational courses) into universities and inevitably they are now offering below par semi-academic courses with low entry requirements. THAT means more people can get into university.

ReputationRep:
    Are you simple more like.
    No matter how many or few charge £20,000. Where does that money come from? We are CUTTING funding to pretty much everything at the moment because of the deficit. We don't have the money to suddenly fund £20,000 a year degrees.
    It comes from graduates repaying it in the future? That's how loans work.

The changes aren't supposed to be about getting more money, right now. They're about creating a sustainable funding model for higher education, which will last for many years. This decision isn't necessarily designed to save tons of money right now. It's a long term change to the amount of money universities will receive. Don't forget that the Browne review was commissioned by Labour, at a time when they weren't even talking about reducing the deficit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.