The Student Room Group

Have Your Degree Choices Changed Since Year 11 to Now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Always wanted to do computer science since I first heard about it, although at the time I thought it had something to do with chips and 1's & 0's. :tongue:
Reply 41
From Computer Science to History to Law to all kinds of Languages to Law to Economics to PPE to Oriental Studies to Politics + Languages to Politics and International Relations. All over the shop, but I still have an interest in most of these.
Reply 42
Original post by moomin-matt
Year 11 - Ukranian at UCL was my ideal degree haha

Should've.
Reply 43
Original post by sango
Hey all, I was just looking through an old email account of mine and saw an email I sent to several universities (Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Durham to name a few) in year 11. The email is below:

Dear Sir/ Madam

First of all I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that I may cause by intiating this E-Mail. My name is (My Name) and I currently attend Whitgift School, Croydon. I am currently in the final stages of Year 11 and as a result I am making several choices regarding my options for next year, in the Sixth Form. I am currently planning to take the International Baccalaureate. The subjects which I am studying are being dictated by what I wish to study in University which is Economics. I plan to study the following subjects:

Higher Level- English, Mathematics, Economics
Standard Level- History, Biology, Spanish (Please note that this is an Ab Initio course)

However, my dilemma is my choice of Higher Level Mathematics. My Head of Mathematics has advised me not to take HL maths (despite me receiving an A* in my mock exams) because he believes I will not cope. However, after a large search I have found that if I was to choose SL maths instead of HL maths I would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of admission into the top universities. The only other option is that I take the A-Level course instead which, for personal reasons, find to be inadequate compared to the IB because of issues such as "Grade Inflation" and the lack of breadth. Therefore, I would like to know if there is any chance that I will be able to study Economics at your University, having taken SL maths instead of HL and if there have been many similar scenarios such as that of mine. I would also like to know if there are any alternatives which also involve Economics which will help to develop my passion for Economics.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience and do hope to here from you soon.

Yours faithfully,
(My Name)
Student at Whitgift School

:rofl2: Apart from the fact that I sound like a tool, it just got me thinking about how much has changed since Year 11. I now have two offers to study English, something completely different and I want to know if anyone has experienced this.

ahahaa we did the whitgift symposium with you lot a couple of months ago!

and yeah, i thought i wanted to do maths and stats before i realised i was awful at maths LOL (i do HL IB maths)
so now it's economics (:
i'm almost having second thoughts, i wish i'd chosen PPE but a bit late now and economics is flexible enough anyway
Reply 44
Original post by danny111
Can you pm me the responses from those unis please? I would very much like to read those.

I deleted them :frown: They were pretty generic though "look on our website", "please include the course code" :blah: By far the nicest was Durham though, if I remember correctly.
Very much (I think year 11 is like 4th year here, 14/15?)
It was Marine Biology, then Ecotourism, Festival and Events Management, Veterinary Nursing, Herbal Medicine, and now I've applied for Nursing :biggrin:
I wanted to study Zoology, ICT, German, ended up on a Business degree but then switched to English Lang and Lit because I hated business so much.
Reply 47
Original post by theths
ahahaa we did the whitgift symposium with you lot a couple of months ago!

and yeah, i thought i wanted to do maths and stats before i realised i was awful at maths LOL (i do HL IB maths)
so now it's economics (:
i'm almost having second thoughts, i wish i'd chosen PPE but a bit late now and economics is flexible enough anyway

Oh really :colone:

Who was your partner?
Reply 48
Original post by sango
Hey all, I was just looking through an old email account of mine and saw an email I sent to several universities (Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Durham to name a few) in year 11. The email is below:

Dear Sir/ Madam

First of all I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that I may cause by intiating this E-Mail. My name is (My Name) and I currently attend Whitgift School, Croydon. I am currently in the final stages of Year 11 and as a result I am making several choices regarding my options for next year, in the Sixth Form. I am currently planning to take the International Baccalaureate. The subjects which I am studying are being dictated by what I wish to study in University which is Economics. I plan to study the following subjects:

Standard Level- History, Biology, Spanish (Please note that this is an Ab Initio course)

However, my dilemma is my choice of Higher Level Mathematics. My Head of Mathematics has advised me not to take HL maths (despite me receiving an A* in my mock exams) because he believes I will not cope. However, after a large search I have found that if I was to choose SL maths instead of HL maths I would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of admission into the top universities. The only other option is that I take the A-Level course instead which, for personal reasons, find to be inadequate compared to the IB because of issues such as "Grade Inflation" and the lack of breadth. Therefore, I would like to know if there is any chance that I will be able to study Economics at your University, having taken SL maths instead of HL and if there have been many similar scenarios such as that of mine. I would also like to know if there are any alternatives which also involve Economics which will help to develop my passion for Economics.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience and do hope to here from you soon.

Yours faithfully,
(My Name)

:rofl2: Apart from the fact that I sound like a tool, it just got me thinking about how much has changed since Year 11. I now have two offers to study English, something completely different and I want to know if anyone has experienced this.

May I ask what made you change your mind from economics to english? :tongue:
Reply 49
From Graphic Design to Architecture then prehaps Photography for a little while, and now back to Graphic Design.

That's as far as I went.
Reply 50
From Politics to Japanese.

:ahee:
Reply 51
I wanted to do forensic science.. Got good grades and now I've applied to medicine.. Bit of a difference there..
God yeh!

It went in this order

1) French and/or Latin
2) French and Linguistics
3) One of/a combination of French/Philosophy/Linguistics
4) Classics
5) Linguistics with one of French/Philosophy/Classics
6) Linguistics with a new language (Portuguese, Turkish or Gaelic)
7) Linguistics and Philosophy
8) Linguistics

And so it stayed...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
Wanted to do Management in year 11.

It's not even funny how glad I am I did economics in IB, never having done it before. Within the first few weeks I knew I would want to study it at university.

Looking at the stuff that management students do, I know I would not enjoy it in the slightest.

PS: some people might not realise (I know lots that don't) but management and economics are entirely different subjects :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sango

Dear Sir/ Madam

Yours faithfully,
(My Name)

Lol you go whitgift !!!!

Do you know Robert Pound? And the croydon batch of people? :P
Reply 55
Original post by W.H.T
May I ask what made you change your mind from economics to english? :tongue:

Well before I convinced myself that I wanted to do Economics, I was thinking about computer science but hated ICT theory. Then if I am honest, I thought about Economics because I believed that it will lead to a job straight into the city and would mean lots of money :rolleyes:. Anyways, I then started the IB and found out that not only is Economics desperately dull (despite me actually enjoying it at GCSE), Higher Level Maths (which is a must if you want to study Economics) is stupidly difficult. This coincided with me loving English more and more and given the fact that it was the only subject that I was excelled at consistently (I was very much someone who fluctuated in my other subjects), I started to warm to the idea of an English degree. So I did my research and now here I am with two offers to study English at York and Nottingham. Odd but true.
Reply 56
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Lol you go whitgift !!!!

Do you know Robert Pound? And the croydon batch of people? :P

Rob Pound? Yeah I know that goon :tongue: He left after flopping his GCSEs.
Reply 57
Original post by sango
Well before I convinced myself that I wanted to do Economics, I was thinking about computer science but hated ICT theory. Then if I am honest, I thought about Economics because I believed that it will lead to a job straight into the city and would mean lots of money :rolleyes:. Anyways, I then started the IB and found out that not only is Economics desperately dull (despite me actually enjoying it at GCSE), Higher Level Maths (which is a must if you want to study Economics) is stupidly difficult. This coincided with me loving English more and more and given the fact that it was the only subject that I was excelled at consistently (I was very much someone who fluctuated in my other subjects), I started to warm to the idea of an English degree. So I did my research and now here I am with two offers to study English at York and Nottingham. Odd but true.

You definitely made the right choice, I've met lots of people here at uni doing my degree and they say they don't enjoy it because there's too much maths. Though one would think needing an A* in maths and preferably have further maths would send the message that you need it in economics :rolleyes:

Economics to English is a change of mind that seems somewhat unprecedented to me though :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Welix

Economics to English is a change of mind that seems somewhat unprecedented to me though :eek:

I know right but when I was going through the whole "decide your future" path, I considered English but was immediately shot down by my parents because there are apparently no job prospects :rolleyes: They are African so have this belief that a only degrees in Law/Economics/Medicine etc are worthwile. Like an idiot I listened to them but I suppose it was always my destiny to do a degree in English. I managed to talk my parents round to the idea and they even started to like the fact that I am going for one of the most competitive courses in the country :rolleyes: Anyways I am planning to do a Law conversion afterwards but for the next three years, I shall do a subject I love :tongue:
My school gave no thought for preparation for college, let alone university - I just wanted to leave that awful place. I chose to study Journalism (or the proper name, Print-Based Media) as BTEC ND at college because I like writing. A lot of the other students in my class had their hearts set on becoming journalists and writers, whereas I didn't at all. I've now applied for Criminology with three offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending