Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Transition from A-Levels to Medical School... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Whaaat? What med school is this? :eek:
    a lovely choice, it would seem hehe!

How do you know that? Have you sat A levels multiple times or what?
    two sets, yes, but thats not how i know for sure. everyone says it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    40% ?!

I just sat a formative where you got an interview to 'discuss your performance' if you got <75%

Tis not easy.
    if you stick to talking about what you know, your med school, then you cant go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    can you please spell 'levels' properly.

And for your information, the pass mark isn't always 40%, at Bristol the passmark is 50% and in first year we were examined on the entire of the first and second term material in one week - 6 exams, followed by third term and another two modules and final exam.

I averaged out just under 60% all in all. I got over 90% in several A level papers.

Second year is easier
    err, i am talking about my med school you div? its 40% here, and in someother places too.

i see your 50% isnt much more than 40% though, you seem to be picking a fight with yourself there. apologies for my smelling mind.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Gizmo!)
    err, i am talking about my med school you div? its 40% here, and in someother places too.

i see your 50% isnt much more than 40% though, you seem to be picking a fight with yourself there. apologies for my smelling mind.
    if you will see your original post you implied All medical schools were 40% pass, whereas this is just not the case. I wasn't telling you that yours wasn't....

How am I picking a fight with myself?

Oh yeah, because you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    everyone says it.

Doesn't mean it's true

ReputationRep:
    if you will see your original post you implied All medical schools were 40% pass,
    here is the post you are referring to, macca -

(Original post by Gizmo)
    However here at MY uni, reputed to be hardcore, its def less than A lvls to simply get the 40% to pass the exams. Definitely and without a shadow of a doubt.
    underlined and bolded the bits you decided not to read. I also large printed the word 'my uni' for you just in case you miss it again. As you can see, my words are the opposite meaning to what you decided to interpret them as. there are of course other med schools beside mine that set pass makrs at mid rates of 40-50% for year 1 (such as yours unless you want to deny it).

Bearing all this in mind, why did believe you were so right and justified in calling others names when you were so terribly wrong?
    (Original post by Rainbowbex)
    Oh yeah, because you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Doesn't mean it's true
    aha, Lux, good comeback! but i suspect thery have become easier than even i think.
    • PS Helper

here is the post you are referring to, macca -

underlined and bolded the bits you decided not to read. I also large printed the word 'my uni' for you just in case you miss it again. As you can see, my words are the opposite meaning to what you decided to interpret them as. there are of course other med schools beside mine that set pass makrs at mid rates of 40-50% for year 1 (such as yours unless you want to deny it).

Bearing all this in mind, why did believe you were so right and justified in calling others names when you were so terribly wrong?
    My bad, I didn't bother reading back through the OP's.

I still don't understand why my post was irrelevant, it was relevant to answering the original post. and when I work out what 'smelling mind' means, And ofc how I was having a fight with my self, I'll get back to you.

Oh and lastly

Can I be childish and say you started it? Calling me a 'div' really didn't set me off on the right foot........

ReputationRep:
    My bad, I didn't bother reading back through the OP's.

I still don't understand why my post was irrelevant, it was relevant to answering the original post. and when I work out what 'smelling mind' means, And ofc how I was having a fight with my self, I'll get back to you.
    it was irrelevant in an argument against me (since 50% isnt a high pass mark), but relevant to the thread.

Oh and lastly

e childish and say you started it? Calling me a 'div' really didn't set me off on the right foot........
    misinterpeted a simple statement to be the opposite of what it is isnt far off the opposite of being clever. But i can see you simply didnt read it. i'm not sure whats more divvy.

sorry for using the word though, its not my style.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.... tbh the biggest difference isn't really a jump in difficulty as such, but rather in terms of support.

In A level in every lesson you felt you learnt a whole topic per lesson. At university, one lectures touches on the subject and to understand it fully you probably need to do some more reading.

That said - if you have a study method that works - stick to it.
    I'm now in my fourth year here, and I still muck around and then cram before the exam like I did at A level and I do fine!

If you need to work throughout the year normally - then stick to that and do that when you get here. As said biggest difference is the fact that it's more down to you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.