Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes i am. The empire wasnt perfect,totally agree,and it no longer exsists,totally true,but the legacy is still there. There are things about Britain i dont see in many countries. Our wit,our tolerance of other nations,our pub culture,amongst other things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecokid)
    I find patriotism absolutely idiotic. Anyone with a shred of knowledge knows that the British Empire was, and still is responsible for so much violence, division and trauma. I'm fascinated by our history, but to be proud of something that has such sinister consequences is misguided and mindless.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Britain's moment is over: we're hanging desperately onto the coattails of other powerful countries, who still have the resources and space. Our epoch is over. The only reason why our fall from relevance is slower than other empires in the past, is due to the importance of our language for global relations.
    This exactly. It always amazes me how people can write about the British Empire in such a positive light, given that most of what we did was exploit unwilling countries, take away citizens' human rights (e.g. India) and steal from them (e.g. China - tea, etc), under the guise of "civilising" them.

I am proud to be my parents' child because I think my parents are amazing - I wouldn't say I have particular pride being British as such. I certainly don't look down on myself, I just remain neutral about it. British is a nationality, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Im proud to be British. The Empire had some good you cannot just look at something that big and say it was complely bad and should be forgotten. Tbh thats just ignorant
    You throw that word around a lot for somebody who is clearly a knuckle dragging retard.

"Something that big cannot be bad" - because 'big' and 'good' are practically synonyms :bird:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    You can hate the traditions and ideals of your own culture.

Lol, i love some people are jumping to conclusions, when i didn't even say i hate being British. I was actually thinking about how i hate my Indian culture and how it's grounded by patriarchy. So, that shows that you can hate it.
    Ahh I get it now.

I never jumped any conclusions, or accused you of hating being British, I just asked a question...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Ahh I get it now.

I never jumped any conclusions, or accused you of hating being British, I just asked a question...:confused:
    I wasn't talking about you lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think being proud to be British is fine.

I'm proud to be an American, not because I agree with everything that happened in our past. I don't. Not everything is something to be proud of. But I appreciate what past generations have done for me. They fought in wars and they came to a new place (whether it be the new world or the rural areas my ancestors settled) where they had to make a life for themselves through hard labor and perseverance. To me, there's something to be proud of in that. Am I proud of the America of today? Eh. That's hard to say. I'm proud of some things about today's America. I'm proud of the America in the past, despite its faults. Having pride and loving your country are not about ignoring its faults, but it's about appreciating your life and your heritage. I think sometimes in Europe and North America and Australia and the other first-world countries, we forget how much our ancestors hard work has provided us with, but of course that does come with the atrocities our ancestors did. You just kind of have to deal with that.

We're lucky to live in free societies like we do. Really, I think being proud of your country is about looking at the overall picture of your heritage, even if there are blemishes.

Patriotism is not a bad thing, but it be if it leads to racism or hatred toward other groups. But you can be proud of your heritage without hurting people of other heritages.

ReputationRep:
    I like being British, but that has got nothing to do with Britain's empire.

I don't necessarily think the empire is something to be 'proud' of to be honest, although it should be held in awe for how powerful it managed to become.

ReputationRep:
    I love being British, you always see so much negativity surrounding the UK on this site and although many are true I am proud of where I come from and I love my country

the best example is when I was on my round the world trip (I have a really strong british accent - as in, I have a modern RP accent and every single person can guess where I'm from haha) I was surrounded by so many different accents and for six weeks heard no British accent apart from of my boyfriend (whose accent is a northern-southern weird mix) and some random people in NZ and oz. I even said when we were in New Zealand "won't it be so weird when we're in a country where are accents are normal?"... cut a long story short as soon as I stepped into the BA flight from Hong Kong and the cabin crew were talking to me in their various British accents it made me realise how much I loved and missed the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkinson1291)
    I'm not denying that those things have happened. i'm just saying allot of the stuff they did (invading, taking resources and allowing the slave trade) was very wrong. i doubt that the british empire empowered local populations more than they suppressed them overall. Their aim was to make money and become more powerful not to be a humanitarian group to help others round the world.
    Regadless the world has made leaps and bounds in other ways because of Individual empires. What I find quite staggering is people forgetting the Egyptians for example! The pyramids were built by the shoulders of slaves who were treated far worse than slaves in the days of the British empire? I suppose we should ask the Italians to apologise too? I mean after all, they invaded us and suppresse the local population, had slaves etc.

Back then it was deemed morally acceptable, we hav since evolved put ways. You can't apply modern day morals to the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Weathers crap, so not really.
    English weather isnt crap. Siberian weather is crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkinson1291)
    whenever i see something this ridiculous on the internet i always assume it's trolling. however i think trolling is just as stupid, if not more, as responding to trolls themselves. but anyways... umm the british empire is nothing to be proud of. we wen't round the world invading countries, suppressing the local populations
    That's how all countries are formed - the European empires were just better at it. In fact, in most cases, we didn't invade places, we made arrangements with local rulers.

not to mention the slave trade.
    Which we stand alone amongst the nations of the world in working to end.

the British empires values were based on racism and a fundamental belief that the british culture was objectively better
    Culturally, there was a great deal of cross-over. Other parts of the world were exposed to British culture and, in turn, we were exposed to - and adopted some parts of - their cultures.

Sometimes, British culture was indeed better, in which cases we expanded it. I recall particularly the words of General Napier to some Indian rulers when faced with an appeal to allow Sati:

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    I wasn't talking about you lol.
    oh my bad

ReputationRep:
    In the words of George Carlin, I am not proud of anything I haven't achieved. Being born into a certain nation or race is a genetical roullette and nothing I should or am proud of.

I'm happy to be English, yes. But proud, no.

ReputationRep:
    I am proud of British Empire, to an extent but dislike the way they went about it like destroying other cultures e.g. American Indians etc

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not because of the empire, that's the past. And our upper class are the pits.

ReputationRep:
    I am extremely proud to be British. I genuinely believe that it is the most prestigious and respected nationality on the planet.
    I also think it has one of the greatest histories, and well let's face it...we freakin' ruled the world with the empire. So much achieved whilst being a tiny little island.

Britain proved that brains is the best weapon of all :yep: I'm very patriotic about this country, even though I'm British-Asian (of arab descent) but I would die fighting for this country any day of the week :yep:

People find this odd but I still somewhat hold traditional imperialist ideals and philosophies, I'm very proud of the British empire and wish it still existed today at the scale it did a century ago. Although I don't agree with the methods and the injustice of the regime, especially as my grandfather and great grandfather were at the receiving end of the brutality.

However, I'm absolutely ashamed and embarrassed of current british society, culture, economy, politics...and the damn people! It angers me that the **** population is damaging this once-great country. I'm afraid Britain is no longer a progressive nation, nor a prosperous one.

I used to complain a lot before but that's because in my mind I still believed that we're one of the greatest countries on the planet. But now I've had to come to terms with this country just being a shadow of it's former-self, just filled with poverty and problems and no more prosperity. We have fallen behind other countries so much it's unbelievable.

19-20th century Britain all the way :yep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    You throw that word around a lot for somebody who is clearly a knuckle dragging retard.

"Something that big cannot be bad" - because 'big' and 'good' are practically synonyms :bird:
    :facepalm2: You cannot look back across an empire lasting 200 years and say it was all bad and should be forgotten as someone on this thread said.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Fair enough the class differences aren't perfect and the chavs our welfare system has created aren't the best people to decide our country's future,
    Britain has always been a hierarchical society with different social classes. It is much less so now than in the 18th century say, but it is still there. I don't know, I think it is an integral part of British culture to have different social classes. The ruling class, upper class, etc. down to the underclass. Without it I think most Britons would lose their identity.

ReputationRep:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    I am proud of British Empire, to an extent but dislike the way they went about it like destroying other cultures e.g. American Indians etc
    What? You can't blame that all onus. Anyway, our foreign exploits in the past have probably been more honest and productive than the Americans ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.