Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else is glad that england dont get to host the world cup 2018 and 2022 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaBoo)
    Right ok, so because a minority of English people are in the media means that all 50 or so million of us are arrogant? And stuff like this (e.g. World Cup losses etc) only makes up a tiny amount of stuff reported on in the English media, thus not enough to make us stop watching if we disagree with their views. Plus, Sky News is shown in Scotland as well is it not? So maybe i'm to assume that all of the above can also apply to Scottish people?
    I don't want to judge whether it's a minority/majority etc, but the fact is there are arrogant English people. I wasn't arguing they all were, but the arrogant chaps in the media studios don't exist in a vacuum; they are not detached from the people they interact with. Individual pundits will not last long in a job if their views are disregarded; people listen to them, that's why they're there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)

Also we can't afford it. Shouldn't be having the olympics either but hey...
    The cost of hosting it is comparatively very little when compared with the Olympics - nearly all the infrastructure and stadia is already here or will be built anyway. The knock on economic effects would have been huge in terms of the spending, sponsorship and feel good factor distributed across the country. You can't quantify it on a mere return of capital to the public purse.

edit: why neg rep this, it's not like I'm ****ging anything off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)

edit: why neg rep this, it's not like I'm ****ging anything off!
    Neither was I, so I took umbridge.

The English aren't the only sensitive souls in the thread....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Neither was I, so I took umbridge.

The English aren't the only sensitive souls in the thread....
    Oops. Forgot you can't anonymously neg coloured usernames... I shall be more careful in future.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to judge whether it's a minority/majority etc, but the fact is there are arrogant English people. I wasn't arguing they all were, but the arrogant chaps in the media studios don't exist in a vacuum; they are not detached from the people they interact with. Individual pundits will not last long in a job if their views are disregarded; people listen to them, that's why they're there.
    Obviously, like there are arrogant people in every nation. There are legitimate reasons for being glad that England didn't win the world cup, but being a bitter Scot with a chip on your shoulder (not aiming this at you personally, more the OP) is not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't the England get it? Your arrogance will be your downfall!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Possibly reflective that it got knocked out in the first round then?

On a serious note: the World Cup would be in 8 years time, the England team will be radically different.
    yeah of course the team will be different, but lets hope they won't pick a bunch of **** "players"

ReputationRep:
    Yes and there are arrogant Scottish people, Irish people, Welsh people, Americans, Russian, Qataris etc...so i dont' really understand your point?

As i said, Sky news is broadcast in Scotland as well, so am i meant to assume that all of the above applies to you as well? Plus, just because people listen to them doesn't mean that they agree. If anything the Media is quite harsh on the English football team so i don't get where you've the idea that all they do is crow that we're the best thing since sliced bread? The fact is, it is not arrogant to assume that you have a good chance of winning when you look objectively at the time/effort, quality of the bid and are impressed (like i was) by it. It's not as though we think we have some god given right to host it, it's just most believe that with all our merits (footballing heritage, infrastructure, fans) it's pretty unfair that we haven't hosted a World Cup since 1966.

ReputationRep:
    We need change of attitude before we're fit to host the world cup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Obviously, like there are arrogant people in every nation. There are legitimate reasons for being glad that England didn't win the world cup, but being a bitter Scot with a chip on your shoulder (not aiming this at you personally, more the OP) is not one of them.
    Of course, but the Land of the Best League in the World seems to have more arrogant football supporters than others, or maybe they just get more exposure. And considering Sky started calling the EPL the Best League in the World before anyone else did, it's a pretty useful way of proving my point that arrogant figures in the media influence people to adopt their view. Maybe.

Up in Scotland we're more the land of the self-loathing. You'd have to be to follow our shambles of a National team.

ReputationRep:
    hasn't any thought of the money England would have made from the world cup. It would have been good for the economy, since we have the stadiums already built. It's a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but the Land of the Best League in the World seems to have more arrogant football supporters than others, or maybe they just get more exposure. And considering Sky started calling the EPL the Best League in the World before anyone else did, it's a pretty useful way of proving my point that arrogant figures in the media influence people to adopt their view. Maybe.
    Maybe they get most exposure because you are living in Britain and thus exposed to the British media far more than any other. I'm sure if you were living in Spain it would be common to hear that La Liga is the best league in the world. At least our media can justify their claims in part by the fact that the Premier League has been consistently ranked first in the UEFA coefficients of leagues based on performances in European competitions over the last five years.

Up in Scotland we're more the land of the self-loathing. You'd have to be to follow our shambles of a National team.
    And have you seen the media coverage of England's pathetic world cup performance? I think the media were generally extremely critical, and rightly so. The idea that the media always go on about how great English football, is, quite frankly, nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!
    I would have had to hide in a cave until the horror abated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaBoo)
    Yes and there are arrogant Scottish people, Irish people, Welsh people, Americans, Russian, Qataris etc...so i dont' really understand your point?
    You said the English media being arrogant did not mean the English people were arrogant. I pointed out there would be a connection between figures in the media being arrogant and the people being arrogant. Although in which direction the arrogance flows is up for debate (are the pundits arrogant because that's what the people want to hear? Probably not, their arrogance probably filters down.

As i said, Sky news is broadcast in Scotland as well, so am i meant to assume that all of the above applies to you as well?
    Well, that's a pretty daft point because Sky news is broadcast all over the world (I watched it in Greece this summer). The news articles in question were directed at an English audience, what with their massive population overshadowing the other home nations.

Plus, just because people listen to them doesn't mean that they agree.
    Of course. Although if too many people disagree with a reporter there's a good chance they'll be punted. Unless they're a talk show host, in which case they'll get a promotion....

If anything the Media is quite harsh on the English football team so i don't get where you've the idea that all they do is crow that we're the best thing since sliced bread? The fact is, it is not arrogant to assume that you have a good chance of winning when you look objectively at the time/effort, quality of the bid and are impressed (like i was) by it. It's not as though we think we have some god given right to host it, it's just most believe that with all our merits (footballing heritage, infrastructure, fans) it's pretty unfair that we haven't hosted a World Cup since 1966.
    The media is very generous to English football on the whole and tends to overexpose it. Although the national team gets a kicking when it disappoints.

Of course its reasonable to assume that you have a good chance of winning, but to a)throw the toys out the pram when Jack Warner shafts you and other bids get preferred [alright, the first part might be justified] and b)believe that hosting a World Cup is a divine right because you haven't hosted one in a while, love football and have a decent setup is a bit arrogant. Portugal made a good job of the Euros and haven't hosted a World Cup, neither have Holland or Belgium to my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Why am I not surprised a Scot is gloating we didn't win. I don't think its being arrogant at all thinking we had a very strong bid. The Russia and Qatar bids are predominately hypothetical ones I mean they have no facilities at the moment. Look at the upcoming Poland/Ukraine euros with their facilities way behind schedule. Or what about Russia's well documented racism problems? (Peter Odemwingie springs to mind).

The fact we got 2 votes is the biggest joke in my opinion. Not that we didn't win. I can accept a loss but no way in hell were we the worst bid. And also we shouldn't be punished for trying to unveil corruption within FIFA ranks - if anything it should be supported.

ReputationRep:
    my local has a free bar in celebration :facepalm: only in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    You shouldn't be on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised or angry that England didn't get either of them, but I am surprised that Russia and Qatar were chosen. One is an ultra-corrupt "mafia state" with serious crime and racism problems and that likes to interfere in the internal affairs of countries like Ukraine and Georgia because it can't hack that it lost the Cold War; the other is an absolute monarchy that is not well regarded at all internationally for it's records on civil liberties or political freedoms, but is tolerated because of it's wealth of hydrocarbons, and where summer mean temperatures range from 40-50 Celsius in a bad year. Are you telling me that the bids from nations like Australia, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands couldn't stand up to the bids from nations with such serious systemic problems? It seems that money talks louder than merit in FIFA.

I'd also rather not have it here in England as long as FIFA wants it's propaganda aired rather than investigative journalism into it's rather shady internal affairs. FIFA thinks it can do no wrong and that anyone who dares speak ill of it in the public domain is a reprehensible villain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    And you wonder why the english look down on scotland. It's so petty you as a nation have to celebrate every english failure. Attitudes like this is exactly why I just wish England would leave the UK. It's hardly United is it?

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be on TSR.
    why? :cry2:

:getmecoat:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.