Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordyn)
    I am in the process of choosing my A Levels for next year and I really want to do psychology but I've heard that it's considered to be a 'soft' subject. Is it? My other subjects are History, Chemistry and Biology and I'm undecided what I want to do at Uni (most likely either Biology or Psychology).
    If you want to do psychology then you should do it at A-level, not because it is necessary but because it gives you something to talk about in your personal statement and give you a 'taster' of studying psychology.

From looking at your uni choices your A-levels should be like this:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Psychology

But if you still want to take history then you can replace it with Maths or take it as a 5th subject
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the main reasons that it isn't a necessary A Level to do a psychology degree is that not every college offers it, so it would be unfair on those who couldn't study it. Also, because psychology degrees are generally accredited by the BPS, they need to ensure that all the undergrads have a basic grounding they start you off from scratch

With regards to whether it is a soft subject or not, I would say that it's not considered a 'hard' subject like chemistry and maths, but it is by no means a 'soft' subject either. There is a lot of content to memorise tho. However, undergrad is a rather large step up from A Level. The view that psychology is a soft subject comes from people who know nothing about it really - thinking it's all about discussing feelings/finding out about yourself

Certainly none of my offers 6 years ago stipulated psychology as an exception to my offer (4 A Levels) - I had one excluding general studies and another wanting either an A grade in PE or for it to be not included in the offer (with lower grades)

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly chemical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna do psych at uni I think you should pick it at A Level, it'll introduce you to the basic concepts at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    To answer your question, yes it is considered to be a 'soft' subject particularly by the more prestigious universities, I remember reading a list from a top uni about how subjects were regarded in terms of difficulty, why not google it?

Thing is, you've got to be interested in what you're studying so why not give it a shot? I've heard that it can be quite a dry subject with LOTS to memorise by some students and they found it quite difficult whilst others have really enjoyed it.

Also, with my subjects; I study lit, history, eng lang and dundundunnnn sociology, I wish someone had told me sociology was a 'soft' subject cos even though I'm still carrying on with all four in yr 13, it can be quite competitive when compared to someone who, say, does a language instead of my sociology. Still, I wouldnt call it easy, you have got to work for the grade but in comparison to history which I find way more interesting, you could learn the amount of information in a shorter period of time...(psychology&sociology were in the same group)

Hey, its up to you though! It can seem snobbish all of this 'soft' subject talk because if you're awful at writing essays then you're pretty much screwed in psychology. One of my friends is fab at sciences and maths but cannot write essays to save her life...:rolleyes:

Oh, and another thing- it might be nice to have an essay-based subject with regards to your other choices
    That university was Cambridge and it actually states that it's fine as a fourth subject. It isn't blacklisted like photography.
    Plus I know someone on here with offers from Russell group universities for English and they did Psychology AND Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    That university was Cambridge and it actually states that it's fine as a fourth subject. It isn't blacklisted like photography.
    Plus I know someone on here with offers from Russell group universities for English and they did Psychology AND Sociology.
    ...That's because they are applying to do English....

ReputationRep:
    I have been studying psychology for almost two years and I would never say it was a 'soft' subject. I found it really interesting but its not easy.

ReputationRep:
    In the eys of the top universities, yes it is. They will not take it as seriously as physics or history. This isn't because it's easier, it's just because it's very modern and very specific as a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...el-785593.html

Whether it is a soft subject or not isn't the point, it's the fact it is seen as a soft subject.

If you really think it isn't perceived as a soft subject, you are kidding yourself. I know that in my school and others that it is considered a subject for the thick kids and with half the crap they came out with, it was with good reason.
    did you even read that? it said that the watchdog group concluded that it wasnt a soft subject. of course people who have never done something will judge it. I have seen people on here call Chemistry and Philosophy soft subjects. The world was once seen as flat but that didnt make it physically true.

I consider it a **** subject (as in the A-Level) yes, but not a soft one. I found it annoying that instead of going into things in too much detail, we brushed through alot of it as the syllabus aimed to get through as many sub-topics as possible. saying that it was still very interesting.

what stuff did these "thick kids" come out with exactly? considering that most people who havent taken it consider the subject to be all about reading body language and looking at childhood experiences, I understand why you are scared of it as many people dislike to think that they are being "infiltrated" as to speak.

ReputationRep:
    I read in an article that employers least employ people with a-levels in psychology and sociology...

But alot of my friends do psychology and they really enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Biology at uni and have applied. Psychology may be a soft subject, but a lot of the unis I'm applying for take it as a second science. For example, they request Biology/Human Biology along with: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Psychology, Geography, Food Technology, or Sports Science.
    I'm applying to: Birmingham, Nottingham, Warwick, Leicester and Manchester. All of them take my Psychology as a second science, except for Leicester, but they'll consider me because I'm predicted way over their requirement (A*A*B) and I've got Chem at AS
    I hope I helped, but I probably just rambled
    Also, look at the middle of page 1:
    http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...Hard_Truth.pdf

ReputationRep:
    The top universities will see it as a 'softer option' than traditional science, maths, english, history etc. However, many courses are considered soft by these universities, and this only matters to an extent. If an applicant for Oxford or Cambridge wanted to study a media related course, having Chemistry, Biology and Maths would be of little use. At an interview, how would the student explain their interest in media studies, if they hadn't studied it at sixth form?

I study psychology alongside geography and maths at A2. I also did History for AS last year. Geography; although a traditional subject, is my easiest, and psychology, my hardest. You have to play to your own strengths and interests. If you want to possibly study psychology at university, then DEFINITELY TAKE IT. It's the only way you'll figure out if you like it enough to apply to study it at university! Your application will look a lot more relevant to the course when you can talk about aspects that have interested you etc, and you'll know what they are on about when you start the course.

And if you don't apply for psychology at university... because everyone always changes their mind... nothing is lost. If anything is shows you are well-rounded, not only can you use scientific concepts and equations, but you can write essays, and think outside of the box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Is there actually any evidence of this please?
    Check out any good university prospectus and they have a list of subjects they do and don't like.

Here's Trinity's webpage, there are plenty more but I can't be bothered to find them. I know for sure Bristol, Cambridge as a whole, Oxford and Warwick have lists somewhere.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Check out any good university prospectus and they have a list of subjects they do and don't like.

Here's Trinity's webpage, there are plenty more but I can't be bothered to find them. I know for sure Bristol, Cambridge as a whole, Oxford and Warwick have lists somewhere.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
    touche.

psychology being put in the same list as business studies though?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    YES IT IS

That is how it is thought of. Anyone who says anything else is flat out lying.

Lol at the neg rep - no doubt a bunch of self-rigious children too inept to realise the reality of the situation:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/exam-watchdog-media-studies-iisi-easiest-alevel-785593.html
    The irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    The irony.
    In what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    did you even read that? it said that the watchdog group concluded that it wasnt a soft subject. of course people who have never done something will judge it. I have seen people on here call Chemistry and Philosophy soft subjects. The world was once seen as flat but that didnt make it physically true.

I consider it a **** subject (as in the A-Level) yes, but not a soft one. I found it annoying that instead of going into things in too much detail, we brushed through alot of it as the syllabus aimed to get through as many sub-topics as possible. saying that it was still very interesting.

what stuff did these "thick kids" come out with exactly? considering that most people who havent taken it consider the subject to be all about reading body language and looking at childhood experiences, I understand why you are scared of it as many people dislike to think that they are being "infiltrated" as to speak.
    And what did I say before? I said it is regarded as a soft subject, whether it deserves that reputation is a different topic and something I have never talked about.
    The **** they came out with was studies which were proving common sense (you remember words related to one another rather than random words - no **** Sherlock) and other crap too inane to recall.
    I'm scared of it? Hardly. I find human psychology exceptionally interesting, but it's not quite engineering, so go take your argumentative juvenile attitude somewhere else.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    With regards to Oxbridge, that's a different story as they are more traditional with their qualifications. Also, there are a few a levels there that would be considered 'hard' like law - they're not banned, they're just not the ideal subjects.

After a quick check on bristol's website on medicine, chemistry and maths a level requirements, nowhere does it say that psychology is not accepted - only general studies and critical thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blame)
    I find it more of a struggle than History.

Or that's just me being massively retarded.
    I'd go with lattter

Nah i mean you already have two hard subjects there, no need for you to worry about it being considered soft or not. At the end of the day pick the subjects you want to do and think you will enjoy not go for chemistry in this example an absolutely hate it!

ReputationRep:
    do what you enjoy! its not the most 'hard' subject there is but you're doing three sciences so it's fine to balance it a bit, trust me, when the A level revision begins yuou'll be kicking yourself if you hate your subjects
    you dont need psych for a psych degree but it wont count against you AND as someone currently on a psych degree (I did art&design, psych, sociology and maths and got offers from durham, loughborough, york and surrey) I think it's useful to have studied it beforehand, although I would also say that having a maths A level helps A LOT so if you're undecided and good at maths maybe consider swapping one of your sciences? maths always looks impressive on an application and I would imagine it's useful for a science degree too
    and dont worry too much! look at my subjects, I did ONE hard subject and got offers from good unis (and an interview at cambridge that I royally f*cked up) and my other subjects include ART&DESIGN!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.