Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will The Student Protests Work?... Watch

• View Poll Results: Will The Protests Work?...
    Yes...
    16.13%
    No...
    83.87%

ReputationRep:
    No because the governments plans are eminently sensible. No reason for taxpayers to be subsidising 'degrees' in dubstep studies with windsurfing...

Half the universities in the country should be either levelled or turned back into technical colleges. Half the people at university shouldn't even be there, but should be out there working instead of spending three years getting paralytic at the students union before leaving with a 3rd in film studies prior to getting a job in a call centre that they could have got when they 16.

ReputationRep:
    lol that fact on fees website is a load of crap propaganda...

£9000 < (£18000 > x > £27000)

the website is assuming that graduates are rich, and succcesful and earn loads of money.

that is clearly not the fact. i dont know how old you are, but money is not the only driving factor to people's career choices.

example. someone doing has done a maths degree from a decent uni, it would not suprise me if they found a very good job in the markets, or some sort of investment services and earn a big salary + bonus - for that person, student loan will be nothing to them.

however if that person decided to become a teacher, through their own choice and motives, then financially they will loose out BIG time throughout their career because we all know about teaching wages.

now is that fair?...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueblood18)
    Come on, that is the ultimate admission of failure on these forums. I'm sure you can do better.

Did I say that? Read carefully what I said again, particularly the sentence about protests tending to become revolutions (by this I mean widespread anarchy like riots) when protesters die. This is corroborated by history-the hungarian revolution of 1956 comes to mind which also began as a student protest of thousands and a student was killed. Please do not underestimate the human tendency to go beserk when pissed off. Human psychology is complex and not necessarily rational.

And since the only way to find out is to see what happens if some protesters get killed, I'd suggest you stop pretending your viewpoint has any more merit than an opinion. The size of these protests and the 'violence' has already surprised many people.
    Hardly. The violence has been the action of a number of thugs. Also your comparison reeks of fail. Your comparing a protest in a communist dictatorship to a democratic nation where the right to protest is seen as part of the bedrock of democracy.

I do not know where you come with this idea of a protester's being deliberately killed from. The police in this country are hardly going to put down a riot with live ammunition or tanks.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Their example and comparison to the Poll Tax incidents is utterly laughable. Unlike the tuition fee reform at least 95 percent of the country agreed that the poll tax was completely unfair.

This reform is fair. Deal with it. I've said it beofre and I'll say it again - Why should the state pay for most of our education at University level? Why should poor people contribute to funding the kind of education they have never had and likely never will just for those university students to earn double maybe even triple what they earn?

The protestors don't know how lucky they are, maybe they should go and see what university education is like in the USA and Canada...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    maybe they should go and see what university education is like in the USA and Canada...
    It's a whole lot better and cheaper. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Hardly. The violence has been the action of a number of thugs. Also your comparison reeks of fail. Your comparing a protest in a communist dictatorship to a democratic nation where the right to protest is seen as part of the bedrock of democracy.
    The comparison is not really as ludicrous as you suggest.

1) Hungary had been given the right to protest in 1956.

2) The protests took place because there was a bad harvest, fuel shortages, poverty and general misery-not dissimilar to the current economic situation with the impending cuts to the public sector and a 100000 job losses predicted over christmas. It has little to do with being a dictatorship or a democracy. Protests take place when people get angry.

However, I'll grant you that it may not be the right comparison. I think we should look at modern times for a comparison i.e Greece. Britain is fast heading that way.

I do not know where you come with this idea of a protester's being deliberately killed from. The police in this country are hardly going to put down a riot with live ammunition or tanks.
    No, they will probably put it down with batons to the head. If the protests keep going then we might even see water canons. It isn't even a question of being deliberately killed-even if protester's are accidently killed or killed because of 'violence' the government will most likely fall-it is a hung parliament as it is. Actually, with the job losses to the police you might even see the police protesting in the future.

Also, the tuition fee bill hasn't been signed into law yet..it has to go through the House of Lords as well where the situation is described as being very tight. If the protests become sufficiently volatile the Government will fall (hung parliament-little mandate). If the government falls, the bill wont be signed into law. The protests have already weakened the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    It's a whole lot better and cheaper. :lolwut:
    There's no state funding for tuition, at least not massively to the extent of how it is in the UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueblood18)
    The comparison is not really as ludicrous as you suggest.

1) Hungary had been given the right to protest in 1956.

2) The protests took place because there was a bad harvest, fuel shortages, poverty and general misery-not dissimilar to the current economic situation with the impending cuts to the public sector and a 100000 job losses predicted over christmas. It has little to do with being a dictatorship or a democracy. Protests take place when people get angry.

However, I'll grant you that it may not be the right comparison. I think we should look at modern times for a comparison i.e Greece. Britain is fast heading that way.

No, they will probably put it down with batons to the head. If the protests keep going then we might even see water canons. It isn't even a question of being deliberately killed-even if protester's are accidently killed or killed because of 'violence' the government will most likely fall-it is a hung parliament as it is. Actually, with the job losses to the police you might even see the police protesting in the future.

Also, the tuition fee bill hasn't been signed into law yet..it has to go through the House of Lords as well where the situation is described as being very tight. If the protests become sufficiently volatile the Government will fall (hung parliament-little mandate). If the government falls, the bill wont be signed into law. The protests have already weakened the government.
    Police are not legally allowed to strike, not sure what would happen if some did anyway though.

Also look at Ian Tomlinson, that was an accidental death caused by a police officer at a riot and it did not bring down the government or really damage it much. The government and even most Labour MP's support the police's actions overall and all call for investigations into the various individual incidences.

The bill has gone through the house of lords it went though on Monday or Tuesday, with quite a healthy majority so in 2012 the tuition fees will rise now its law.

This will be a make or break law. If Nick Clegg can keep his party under control and convince them to stand with him through the storm then its likely the coalition will last the next 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    I might work. Ir probably wont work. The only way is to riot!

ReputationRep:
    There's no state funding.
    Actually there are universities that are partially funded by state tax dollars in the US and Canada. :rolleyes:

Even the public universities in the US and Canada are going to be cheaper to study in than those in the UK.
    Are you joking me? They offer scholarships incomparable to the ones you get in the UK for poorer students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Actually there are universities that are partially funded by state tax dollars in the US and Canada. :rolleyes:

Even the public universities in the US and Canada are going to be cheaper to study in than those in the UK.
    Are you joking me? They offer scholarships incomparable to the ones you get in the UK for poorer students.
    Yes, they offer scholarships, but they aren't endless.

Examples of such unis?
    I'm applying to Canada and have come across none.

ReputationRep:
    The protestors don't know how lucky they are, maybe they should go and see what university education is like in the USA and Canada...
    There's no state funding for tuition, at least not massively to the extent of how it is in the UK.

Examples of such unis?
    I'm applying to Canada and have come across none.

(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Can you sort this out please? :top:

Examples of such unis?
      Yale, Harvard, etc.

If you can get in, then they'll basically pay for everything through alumni funding.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.