Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    With this sentence I can't tell if you're being:
    - amusingly hypocritical
    - dryly ironic
    - a troll
    Probably best you don't read too much into it and conclude that it's a healthy mix of all three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    For me it is not getting too far, because I will continue to describe people as white if they are white, or black if they are black.
    If I see a fact that offends someone (which basically means they don't like the truth), I will bring it up if necessary in convosation.
    I will continue to call poorer countries like Africa etc the 'third world', and I will continue to call men that have been made out of snow snowmen.

The people who political correctness is becoming a problem are the hypocrits who think that we live in a democracy, but think that the right to speak only extends to people who have the same views as themselves, hardcore lesbian feminists who think that men should give birth once in a while, and people who think that gender is a 'social construct' because they don't know what a penis is, and council workers who put up signs for religions that don't celebrate Christmas.

Basically what I am saying is this, some other people act in a way that is described in the OP, but I will say what I please, and not act differently at all.
    Rest assured my friend, I'm not going to adjust my vocabulary because someone is overly sensitive about how a particular word makes them feel. Words are hollow, it's the intentions (to be found in the tone or context) in which that word is employed that makes all the difference.

Gender is a social construct though I've no doubt that there are some evolutionary influences playing their role here, all the same, it would be silly to disregard peer pressure and the like as a contributing factor too. If childbirth is so bad, why wish it on men OR women, tubes & laboratory can take the heat if you ask me =)

all the same, not everyone is quite so resilient and some do conform to whatever this phenomenon is. Hence, the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    "Caste" refers to someone's place in a social hieracrhy so to say "half-caste" is a bit iffy. Other than that I completely agree. Like when my white friends are singing to Snoop Dogg and as soon as n1gga is said, they go all coy. Just say the ****ing word for God's sake.
    dude I actually got into some real trouble for doing that very thing. Now I say "homie" instead of n**** (hehe asterisks, not taking any chances) when singing to rap songs. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    i don't think we should use words like ****** and p*** in public (or other racially offensive words). In this sense, PC is fine.

But it's bad when it gets warped and taken overboard. This is when it gets farcical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.