Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flatmate is so digusting I think he is affecting my health due to his hygine. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Nice)
    Trust me my flatmate is much worse. He dumps right on the floor; not even bothering with the toilet Whenever he pleasures himself, that just ends up all over the sofa. I think he relieves himself on the crysanthemums
    :rofl:

OP-
    - talk to him and tell him you like it cleaner
    - move out
    - clean it for him
    I know this seems like obvious solutions, but guess why - they are your most likable options here. It's not a new problem, plenty of people feel this way, if there was a magic fix to change him, we'd know about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    :rofl:

OP-
    - talk to him and tell him you like it cleaner
    - move out
    - clean it for him
    I know this seems like obvious solutions, but guess why - they are your most likable options here. It's not a new problem, plenty of people feel this way, if there was a magic fix to change him, we'd know about it.
    An update of sorts, have been away a week due to snow wasnt able to come back for classes last week, and came back today as waiting for important letters.

More food was taken and place is a pig sty as they say.

I said to him in a stern voice that it is no longer an option for him to take my food, I have under £100 in the bank to last me till after Christmas and have to pay for my train ticket to parents, pay rent which will I dont have cash for, buy food for a month and pay my share of bills so I cannot afford any food being stolen and the stolen food must be replaced, I said tommorow as shops were closed and he whinged about how he has exams to study for and has no time to go to supermarket(despite being 4 minutes walk from house and next to bus stop he gets off when he comes back from uni) then started one of his usual "but I only took reduced food worth next to nothing" as if to say theres no value to it therefore theres no issue with taking it, then the other "oh but you have a lot of food anyway" etc.

So it looks like he really doesnt care at all about the issue just making excuses.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't move out then speak to the landlord, maybe he will have a solution.

ReputationRep:
    Hygiene*

ReputationRep:
    Talk to the room mate. Tell him he needs to respect the communal areas. If that doesn't work talk to the landlord. They should be setting the standard of their home and should be trying to keep you living there! If that doesn't work I'd call environmental health or something extreme. (Of course this would only be useful if you couldn't move out at the time)

I'm pretty sure there is an organisation you can contact if the property isn't being maintained to a healthy and normal standard. Obviously clothes on the floor etc isn't a big deal but if there are pests and a lot of bacteria growing etc then this could be a serious problem and you should report the landlord.

Also I'm sure you can get a safe for food in the fridge. I know it's a bit extreme but it's worth a try. And try and keep dry goods like snacks etc in your room for now if possible. Maybe ask the landlord to put locks on the cupboards so they no one else can access them. It's a common problem however and the landlord probably won't. I know you probably don't have the cash to buy food security crap but maybe if your parents are really nice they'll get you one for Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Just try to have a serious and honest talk with him.

E.g.:

"You're a cool guy and everything, but you stink like hell".

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he'll never change. Either move out, spend ages cleaning up after him, or live with the mess. I think I know which one I'd do.

ReputationRep:
    About the stolen food, cases like these aren't exactly taken to court. I assume you've talked to him about it, as it is the most obvious first solution. If he refuse to improve, you either have to get a mini fridge with a lock and put it in your room or move out. Depends how much you appreciate living there with him...

ReputationRep:
    This reminds of the kitchen from Withnail and I.

ReputationRep:
    Place a decapitated horse head under his sheets? You know, make him an offer he cannot refuse... :devil:

ReputationRep:
    Make a log of EVERYTHING, after a few weeks hand it to landlord etc.

ReputationRep:
    legendary thread

lmao @ the "update"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.