Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am poor and want to do a 2nd degree...how to fund this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Band)
    Try doing a masters program close to what you want to do, they are shorter (therefore cheaper esp once you account for living) and a step forward.

Doing another BA is like starting again.
    But what if i want to do a maths degree? I think it'll be hard to do maths masters without having a sufficient grounding at bachelors level. I mean I did a few applied maths modules in my geophysics degree, but no where near the amount i would need for masters i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.)
    That would be hard, thats why they say choose the one you think will be the best for you!
    I just want to put my situation in some context for you and others who are just slating me:/. I started with a maths degree. Spent a year at oxford and got severely depressed. I dropped out and did engineering at warwick for a week. Then I had a gap year to think about what i wanted to do and ended up doing astrophysics and geophysics at ucl before changing to geophysics. I've been depressed for the last 5 years and only recently recovering from it and I've still no idea what I want to do with my life but I still have a love for maths and a developing interest for biology. It is for these reasons I want to go back. If i had known that I would not have enjoyed oxford, or maths there, I am not stupid enough to have put myself through that but **** happens, as they say.

So point I am trying to make is, I thought I chose the right degree at first, it wasn't for me, I tried and tried again, got a degree, but don't feel it's the direction I want in life.

Is that a crime that I have no idea what I want to do and want to study something else? I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I just want to put my situation in some context for you and others who are just slating me:/. I started with a maths degree. Spent a year at oxford and got severely depressed. I dropped out and did engineering at warwick for a week. Then I had a gap year to think about what i wanted to do and ended up doing astrophysics and geophysics at ucl before changing to geophysics. I've been depressed for the last 5 years and only recently recovering from it and I've still no idea what I want to do with my life but I still have a love for maths and a developing interest for biology. It is for these reasons I want to go back. If i had known that I would not have enjoyed oxford, or maths there, I am not stupid enough to have put myself through that but **** happens, as they say.

So point I am trying to make is, I thought I chose the right degree at first, it wasn't for me, I tried and tried again, got a degree, but don't feel it's the direction I want in life.

Is that a crime that I have no idea what I want to do and want to study something else? I hope not.

Hi you said you got depressed in oxford?
    What made you that?

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

i've just finished a geophysics degree but i wasn't entirely happy with it nor felt fulfilled. I want to go to uni to do maths or biology. I was wondering how i could go about funding further study as i've heard you only get government funding just the once. Any ideas? I know the obvious thing would do to be to get a job, save up, then go again, but that'll take years! Any other ideas?

blue.
    Some corporations will fund degrees and second degrees, check out careers advice where you did your first degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Live with it.

You didn't do your research properly and so you chose the wrong course. Surely you would have realised that you were not a fan of the course within the first year, at which point you could have changed to something you liked more, or dropped out and reapplied.

Also, you must have known before you went travelling that you wanted to do a 2nd degree, so why didn't you stay at home rather than travelling so you had some money to start your 2nd degree.

As thing stand you have 1 option, get a job, save up, and then apply again a few years down the line.
    you don't know anything about me so please stop making outlandish accusations. For your information I tied 4 different degrees at 3 different universities whilst trying to recover from severe depression, and I absolutely hated university for the last 5 years. And to add to that I only realised I wanted to go back to studying because my state of mind improved only after travelling....so your point about saving the traveling money is a faux pas. I take your point about getting a job, but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do and i'm not sure doing data admin for the next few years will cut it but may have to :/

ReputationRep:
    you don't know anything about me so please stop making outlandish accusations. For your information I tied 4 different degrees at 3 different universities whilst trying to recover from severe depression, and I absolutely hated university for the last 5 years. And to add to that I only realised I wanted to go back to studying because my state of mind improved only after travelling....so your point about saving the traveling money is a faux pas. I take your point about getting a job, but I have absolutely no idea what I want to do and i'm not sure doing data admin for the next few years will cut it but may have to :/
    with all those subject changes, are you sure that you really know what you want to do now? You said maths or bio which are pretty different (obviously there are many more combinations which are far ore different but you still sound pretty undecided!)

Are you looking to do another degree because you love learning and just want to keep learning, or because you don't know what you want to do with your life/a career, or another reason?

You could try doing some part-time open university modules whilst working? That way you wouldn't have to commit to a whole degree, so if it's that you just love learning, you could do a little bit of learning whilst working.

Also, you don't have to be doing a qualification to learn - don't think 'oh I want to learn, I need to go to uni to do that'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    with all those subject changes, are you sure that you really know what you want to do now? You said maths or bio which are pretty different (obviously there are many more combinations which are far ore different but you still sound pretty undecided!)

Are you looking to do another degree because you love learning and just want to keep learning, or because you don't know what you want to do with your life/a career, or another reason?

You could try doing some part-time open university modules whilst working? That way you wouldn't have to commit to a whole degree, so if it's that you just love learning, you could do a little bit of learning whilst working.

Also, you don't have to be doing a qualification to learn - don't think 'oh I want to learn, I need to go to uni to do that'!
    I just want to learn - have a thirst for knowledge. This is the most useful, meaningful post i've read all day. I'll think about the studying part time whilst working, a thought that never before occurred to me, thanks

Are you afraid of working and instead you look for the easy option of getting more money in order to study for another degree? I find it weird that you graduated in geophysics and you don't like it, yet you want to go for a Maths degree. There is a correlation between Physics(including geophysics) and Maths, what do you think you are going to gain by doing another similar degree? I am not telling you off, I just want to understand your mentality.

ReputationRep:
      I just want to learn - have a thirst for knowledge. This is the most useful, meaningful post i've read all day. I'll think about the studying part time whilst working, a thought that never before occurred to me, thanks
      My mum did this and had a full time job which she found pretty boring, she said studying part time with the OU was brilliant and she met a lot of great people from all races, ages and backgrounds. Definately worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
      I would take some time to think about what you want to do. Maths or Biology are very different things. Odds are you are going to end up being one of these permanent students who keeps changing from course to course

ReputationRep:
      Sorry to hear about your depression. I'm just curious as to what you plan to do following the Maths degree?

I think you should realize that it is time to move on from being a student and move on to the next stage, become a working adult. If you like Maths you should go for a funded PhD in numerical methods or something similar, your Geophysics degree has provided you with enough Mathematics to carry out such research(assuming your degree classification is acceptable). If you still want to become a Biology student go to Birkbeck the fees for students that have already a degree are £2580 pa without financial help of course.

ReputationRep:
        It does seem unfortunate you didn't enjoy your first degree, but I think a second degree isn't the best idea. You have no guarantee you'll enjoy your second degree either, it is very unlikely to add to your CV, and is VERY expensive.

(Original post by babygirl110)
        That's why I'm glad the govt only funds degrees once. People take the piss, how someone can choose a degree that's not right for them is beyond me.

If you are really motivated then you will work and save up for a masters or whatever you plan to do. There are also bank career development loans available.

Maybe it's time for the workplace and to gain a bit of maturity. It's no longer the nanny state and rightfully so.
        How can you expect someone at 17/18 to know FOR CERTAIN which subject they will enjoy and cope well with learning over the next 3-4 years of their life? Subject choice is a difficult and inexact science. A certain course might not be what you expect (there's a limit to how much you can glean from university prospectuses and websites) or your interests might change. Blaming school students for not being able to see the future is highly unfair and ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
        Do what I do and just pick a course and university you want, locate where the lectures are held and just walk into them LOL no one check! Free degree! Save $$$

ReputationRep:
        no idea....maybe become a highschool maths teacher or go into finance, or do a biology degree, or .....okay i'm a bit indecisive....
        Okay, I don't mean this in a bad way at all so please don't take it the wrong way but then I think that's where the problem is. It really works to your advantage if you really are specific about what you want to do with your life and really have solid ambitions, that way you can pave yourself a clear career path.

I just noticed on one of your posts you said you are driven by learning/ knowledge or something like that. Maybe you need to consider areas like academia? Whatever the case, the important thing is just to have clear aims and objectives, otherwise you will find yourself wasting another 5 years.

On a side note, I'm secretly jealous of your travelling escapades, I've been wanting to do that since I first graduated in 2006 .

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by innerhollow)
        How can you expect someone at 17/18 to know FOR CERTAIN which subject they will enjoy and cope well with learning over the next 3-4 years of their life? Subject choice is a difficult and inexact science. A certain course might not be what you expect (there's a limit to how much you can glean from university prospectuses and websites) or your interests might change. Blaming school students for not being able to see the future is highly unfair and ridiculous.
        hear hear! I'm in total agreement. How can kids be sure what they want to do with your lives when they only tell you to start thinking about what course you want to apply for a week after your AS levels finish...i.e. you have but 1 month over the summer to decide what degree you want to do and a month doing the UCAS (for oxbridge), and a few months more for normal applications? It's rediculous. Whilst travelling I met many germans and they seem to have a fabulous education system whereby they have a year or more to decide what they want to study and it seems less pressured. They actually apply for uni after they've done they're equivalent of alevels! Now if only we had something like that in the UK we'd be sorted.

There is far too much pressure and too little advise about universities in the UK, at least if you went to a normal state comp like myself. You private school guys can clarify what happens in your respective school in terms of advise on further education.

ReputationRep:
        Open university, simples.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by babygirl110)
        On a side note, I'm secretly jealous of your travelling escapades, I've been wanting to do that since I first graduated in 2006 .
        It's much easier to do than you think I worked for two years after I graduated in order to get the money to travel round the world for 9 months. Best decision I ever made (along with agreeing to go out with who is now my BF )

ReputationRep:
        If you want to go into finance, you definitely won't need a maths degree, for most roles you don't even need a quantitative degree!

For ones which you do, I'm pretty sure your geophysics degree would be quantitative enough - obviously depending on your modules/etc but definitely check that out before committing to a maths degree!

ReputationRep:
        I'm in the same position. Fully agree with the posts which say we can't see into the future at 17/18. I am just a out to finish a History degree, and it was a logical choice - my best subject, and one I enjoyed. But at that age, I only knew you picked a subject and studied it further. I had no idea of the wealth of courses not directly following on from an A level subject, what job I wanted to do, or if this would change in a few years anyway. I think there should be less of a culture of going to uni straight from school. I never even considered time out to work as an option - clever people went to uni to learn more, that was that.

I am trying to get onto a second degree in Zoology, and am finding the money situation is going to be impossible. I would be happy to work for a couple of years to raise the fees and then work part time for my maintenence, that would be simple. But OH NO I CAN'T, because if I don't start in 2011, then the fees will double, and I'd be back at square 1 having nowhere near enough.

I can apply for a professional study loan, the maximum is £10000. That would cover fees only. I thought ok, I'll do it part time so I can work, but it seems I'll need to work around 30hrs pw to fund rent/bills/everything, which is not going to fit well around uni.

Stop being judgemental people. I like History, but studying in greater depth at Masters, say, wouldn't mean anyone would employ me just because I know lots about Japanese culture in the Edo period or whatever. I'd like to be able to do something worthwhile instead of my only option being the identical soulless grad schemes in business/finance that everyone else is applying for. I also have more than one interest, and studying a science provides a whole different skillset.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.