Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook Relationship Status Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If your friends are true friends they shouldn't really care that you have a girlfriend and didn't bother telling them. If they have a problem with the fact you kept it quiet then you need to speak to them about why you have to tell them everything, it's your life at the end of the day!

And you ex girlfriend is an ex. If you ended on good terms and she cares for you still, then she hopefully would take it rather well and just want you happy. Obviously you still care about her because you was together for so long, but she should be okay with it. If not just explain to her properly and say you're happy but she'll still be in your life no matter who your with and you'll never forget her or the four years you was together :grouphugs:.

ReputationRep:
    when you say you 'asked her out', what did you actually say?

Seems pretty reasonable though from what i can tell, i doubt she'd mind it you explained that to her

ReputationRep:
    just talk to her about it

iv been with my boyfriend well over a year and mine still says single... facebook does not make things true :| lol
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would like to remain anonymous please, as I don't want to upset anyone if they see it's me. Bare with me if you can as this is a little long!

I've been seeing this girl for a couple of months since I started uni. I wanted to take things slow with her as I've only just split up with my girlfriend of four years in the summer. I like this girl and I've been meeting up with her frequently, but I could sense she was getting frustrated because I wasn't showing any signs of asking her out. Well the other night I felt like it was the right time, so I asked her out and she said yes, so far so good.

The problem came the very next day when she wanted to update her Facebook status to 'in a relationship with...'. I'm now currently staring at the request wondering what to do.

There's a few reasons why I don't want to do this yet and they are:

1. I haven't even told the people closest to me that I'm going out with her yet and I would prefer to do this naturally and progressively as opposed to a massive shock announcement over Facebook. I feel like I owe my friends and family the privilege of knowing in person first.

2. I would like to keep things private and reserved for the moment, as It's going to take time for me to get used to being in a relationship again.

3. My ex and I split up on really good terms, but we haven't spoke since. I respect and care for her still and I know that she has found the break up really hard to deal with. I remember her saying something along the lines of 'If I ever saw you with another girl I think I would burst into tears'. I feel like I can prevent this from happening by not having a relationship status at all.

I suppose what I'm really asking here is, am I being unreasonable? If your boyfriend/girlfriend had these feelings would that concern or upset you?
    update your status, you split up with your ex months ago, its your life to lead, she is not your problem anymore. you can remove your facebook relationship status off facebook.

tell your family and friends first then!

ReputationRep:
    What did you actually decide to do in the end, OP?

ReputationRep:
    Even though it's only facebook and it shouldn't matter, sounds like it does to this girl, as she is happy about the relationship and wants everyone to know she is..just accept it and delete the post quickly, you're keeping your gf happy and not upsetting/shocking people either. Hide it from your sidebar if you dont want your ex to see and that should be that Even though facebook isn't real life, your new gf might be a bit wtf?! :confused: as to why you wouldn't want to accept it, as she's the new girl in your life! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    Even though it's only facebook and it shouldn't matter, sounds like it does to this girl, as she is happy about the relationship and wants everyone to know she is..just accept it and delete the post quickly, you're keeping your gf happy and not upsetting/shocking people either. Hide it from your sidebar if you dont want your ex to see and that should be that Even though facebook isn't real life, your new gf might be a bit wtf?! :confused: as to why you wouldn't want to accept it, as she's the new girl in your life! Hope this helps!
    Sounds good to me

(Original post by deej3005)
    What did you actually decide to do in the end, OP?
    And lots of this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.