Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asked to withdraw from the course. Unfair! 15+k in debt + 2yrs wasted over 4mins late Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to shift the blame first , you need accept you royally f***** up here. If you want to appeal successfully your going to need some evidence to back up what ever excuse you claimed.

So If your 'forgivable excuse' actually has credibility with supporting evidence and assuming you pass your other modules you should have good case on appeal. If your excuse was something crappy you made up on spot and you cant prove anything, then your in trouble. If you happened to have rough year (serious illness , death of close relative , basically anything major) then try to get supporting documents for them and lodge an appeal to retake the whole year.

ReputationRep:
    Right, basically:

- You failed first year exams
    - Turned up 34 (34, not 4) minutes late to your first resit exam
    - Subsequently failed your resits

I'm sorry, but it hardly sounds unreasonable to kick you out. You should have put more effort in.

ReputationRep:
    I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say:

'You need to tell us why you were 34 minutes late to the most important exam of your life?!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaman21)
    So I had to do a few resits on my second year. My first exam I ended up being 4mins later than the allotted late period of time which is 30mins. So I was 34mins late for my exam. The woman wouldn't let me in saying it would disturb the students, yet the whole process of getting the woman from the other side of the room to come and see me, disturbed the students much more than I would have, have I was allowed to sit down and take the ****ing test. Also her trying to explain this all to me just outside the exam room (with the doors open) with me frustrated and arguing with her logic was clearly heard by most people in the exam room. Anyway I was not allowed to take my first resit exam, and was advised to attend my other resits despite the fact if I had not retaken this exam I would ultimately fail anyway. So I retook my other exams with little motivation as it seemed a waste of time without passing my first exam. This hindered my revision prior to the other exams and shows in my results. In the end I failed by 4% and was asked to withdraw from the course. I then spoke to my adviser and he said there is nothing he could do but referred me to someone who might be able to help.
    So I told them my situation that I am now 15k in debt and have wasted 2 years OVER 4 MINS! I am now going to try and convince them to let me retake the exam later this year and hopefully progress onto the 3rd year next year. Any advise on appealing would be great. Is there a certain form that need to be filled in? I vaguely remember someone else mentioning a appeal form. views please.
    thankyou
    Thanks for wasting taxpayers money.

No wonder people are mad at students.

Now when I go to university in 2011 everyone who works is going to hate me because of your inability to turn up for an exam on time.

Thanks for ruining my life and the life of thousands of other students.

ReputationRep:
    when i first saw this i thought you were 4 minutes late to a lecture and got kicked out and i was like woah but then i read it and my posts not much help but as some of the others on here arent either might as well say it

surely the thing to do would have been to try as hard as you possibly could in the other two resits so then they would have seen you actually wanted to try not just give up? and seeing as it was only 4% you might have done it? but who knows

i think if your reasons are really serious there might be a chance but it is a 3rd chance so im not sure

i can see why your angry but i dont know the circumstances but i can see why people on here are getting angry saying its your own fault

ReputationRep:
    You're an utter wastrel. Good riddance.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you muppet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Erm, I'm sorry, but I'm really struggling to be sympathetic here.:erm:
    This isn't really about four minutes, it's about the fact that you were given a series of second chances and thoroughly messed up one of them - possibly because you didn't fully realise that it was also your last chance and consequently didn't take it seriously enough.
    Universities aren't obliged to allow you to resit failed exams, and they're not obliged to give you a 30-minute period of grace either. In fact, the whole purpose of those 30 minutes' leeway you would theoretically have had was to allow for valid excuses for being late - within reason. But they have to draw the line somewhere, and at the end of the day you're a grown-up who should be held responsible for his own actions. You really ought to have realised that this was your last chance to pass the exam, and taken it seriously, by doing everything you could to ensure your turned up early enough and not expecting to be able to turn up late and still be allowed in. So unless the reason why you were delayed was something extremely serious (and we're talking serious as in getting a phonecall about an unexpected death in the family just as you were about to set off with twenty minutes to spare here), I don't think you'll stand much of a chance with trying to challenge the university's decision...

Also, in your first post you said that the reason you've been forced to withdraw because you "failed by 4%". Doesn't that imply that what actually made you fail wasn't the exam you weren't allowed to sit but the fact that you thought that because of it there was no longer any reason to try with the others? If so, then you were wrong in assuming you would fail anyway, no? Which begs the question why you didn't bother to look at the exam regulations to see what exactly you needed to do in order to pass your resits.:confused:
    :cool:Totally agree!

ReputationRep:

You're probably at a **** uni doing a **** degree anyway.

Go work.

ReputationRep:
    So I had to do a few resits on my second year. My first exam I ended up being 4mins later than the allotted late period of time which is 30mins. So I was 34mins late for my exam. The woman wouldn't let me in saying it would disturb the students, yet the whole process of getting the woman from the other side of the room to come and see me, disturbed the students much more than I would have, have I was allowed to sit down and take the ****ing test. Also her trying to explain this all to me just outside the exam room (with the doors open) with me frustrated and arguing with her logic was clearly heard by most people in the exam room. Anyway I was not allowed to take my first resit exam, and was advised to attend my other resits despite the fact if I had not retaken this exam I would ultimately fail anyway. So I retook my other exams with little motivation as it seemed a waste of time without passing my first exam. This hindered my revision prior to the other exams and shows in my results. In the end I failed by 4% and was asked to withdraw from the course. I then spoke to my adviser and he said there is nothing he could do but referred me to someone who might be able to help.
    So I told them my situation that I am now 15k in debt and have wasted 2 years OVER 4 MINS! I am now going to try and convince them to let me retake the exam later this year and hopefully progress onto the 3rd year next year. Any advise on appealing would be great. Is there a certain form that need to be filled in? I vaguely remember someone else mentioning a appeal form. views please.
    thankyou
    Trying to read inbetween lines here: you must have failed a unit by 4% which means you don't have enough credits to progress into 3rd year. As these were already resits you can't repeat the same modules again. Yet can you repeat the second year with different modules? This isn't so bad as you'll need less credits (as you've already some second year credits) which means you can study & do things on the side - like gear yourself up for a fantastic third year or whatever)...

Also just wanted to add I think you can take up to 180 credits if you wanted to transfer to Open University & finish your degree in 3.5 instead of 4 years (above scenario). Also I'm pretty sure only the OU credits would count towards the OU degree classification so you've clean slate in effect. Will save some money too.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou
    How the **** where you 34 mins late to a resit?!

This is all your own damn fault. Stop whining like a little girl and realise it.

ReputationRep:
    "My first exam I ended up being 4mins later than the allotted late period of time which is 30mins. So I was 34mins late for my exam."

I'm not sure what this means: can you explain please?
    I think it means that you were 34 minutes late for your exam.
    I understand that the invigilators were instructed not to allow anyone in after half an hour so that students taking the exam were not disturbed by people coming in late. If they had allowed you in late they would have had to report it and they could have got into trouble themselves for disadvantaging the students taking the exam.

You obviously don't agree with these rules and think that as you were only four minutes later than the absolute cut off point for entering the exam room, you should have been allowed in.

The problem is that unless you have a very good reason for being late (someone was killed in a road accident and the police detained you as a witness and you can get a letter from the police confirming it ,for example) youi would have no grounds for appeal or even for an exception to be made because of circumstances beyond your control. There have to be some rules for running exams and you didn't comply with the rules.

ReputationRep:
    You say you had to fail because you missed that first exam, but then say you only failed by 4%. So that one exam was worth less than 4% of the entire year?

You were late. You don't explain why you were late, it might not have been your fault. But then you say that you didn't put in effort in to the others. If you had done and done well, you could have shown them you were serious about continuing on the course. That bit was definitely your choice.

So, to give a crude summary:

• You arrived actually 34 minutes late for an exam - not 4
      • This exam was a sink or swim resit
      • You then picked a fight with the invigilator by bringing in some childish and ill-judged counterargument
      • You don't seem to even have a legitimate excuse - if you do, you're being aloof about sharing it
      • Not only this, you then proceeded to fail your other resits through complacency and effectively throwing in the towel - way to go when showing how committed you are and stating your case, if you do manage to appeal.

This is nobody's fault except yours, on the face of it.

WHY WERE YOU LATE FOR THE RESIT?? If you're not going to share it with us, I hope for the love of God you shared it with the university you're at.

ReputationRep:
      There are forgivable reasons for being late which I would rather not mention, I told them this, but basically they just put up a barrier.

Also I read my watch as 34mins late, the woman wrote it down as being 37mins late At the time i didn't think this would matter and didn't correct her as she said they will probably let me just retake it, I now know she wrote it as 37mins late to reassure herself on her decision. Take away the amount of bickering time and it would prob end up being 2 mins late.
      so you were thirty four minutes late, you wouldn't tell them why, and you're surprised you're getting kicked off?
      mmhm :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      You can't really complain, can you?

If I knew that I'd already failed the exam once and this was my last chance, I would NOT turn up 34 minutes late. I'd make sure I was there very early.

ReputationRep:
      It is not in your hands - I think that with most universities if you fail the re-sit you fail. It is policy. They have to draw the line somewhere otherwise lots of students might do what you did. You could try and get credit for the modules/papers you have passed and repeat the year by self financing- perhaps in the same uni if they will have you, perhaps in another one if they will have you. It depends what course. If this is medicine the university cannot allow you to continue unless there were exceptional circumstances which if they were that exceptional you would have told them about it anyway with supporting documents. I am sorry but reflect on your mistake and learn from it and move on. Things happen for a reason. Own up about what happened to your parents btw. They will be upset but its best to be honest and open.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.