Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't 11 pronounced "onety-one"? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I was about to comment to say you'd missed out four-ty one. Then I realised it actually fits the "rule" :o: Tbf, sixty, seventy, eighty and ninety all fit..... :getmecoat:
    I was going to include fourty but as it's pronounced the same as forty, I decided not to. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Say "onety-one" out loud. Then say it a few times. Notice how much of retard you sound. This is why we don't say "onety-one".

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't it just 'oneteen'?

ReputationRep:
    Numbers between 0 and 20 are the most commonly used, so it's normal that they are irregular compared with the rest much like the verb "be" is so irregular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    oops fail post
    Lol really? It was the only thing that made me laugh today haha!

ReputationRep:
    Because language has gradually evolved over thousands of years of human history, rather than being designed up front by a mathematician. And because it derives etymologically from an ancient Germanic word meaning "one left", as in one left after counting to 10. And we use a base 10 system for counting because we have 10 fingers, so we automatically think of numbers in relation to how close they are to a round 10.

Wait, was I supposed to try and be funny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Why isn't it just 'oneteen'?
    That sounds better but I like it the other way onety-one haha!

Lol OP what even made you think of this, so random, but funny ( : x

ReputationRep:
    20 = twenty
    21= twenty one = 20 1

10 = ten
    11 = onety-one?!??!?!

it should be ten one using your logic for the other numbers.

ReputationRep:
    I think a better question is why are 11, 12, 13 and 15 not said as oneteen, twoteen, threeteen, and fiveteen? We need consistency! It's madness I tell you, madness!

ReputationRep:
    This thread is like in primary school, when some kid comes up with an idea/remark, everyone just dives in.... and I dunno, like toilet-roll, after a crazy session of toilet-rolling, you'd find empty rolls, ripped tissues, streamer-like tissues hanging off the ceiling, I don't really know what I'm saying here, sorry.

Back to the question at hand,

I have Microsoft Encarta on my laptop, which has a really wicked dictionary. Anyway, typing in eleven gives me definitions, but derivations and the etymology of words -

Eleven comes from the German language, endleofan, which means 'one-over (ten)'.

Let me save you from asking about twelve, thirteen, and all others until there's no mystery left.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

Onety-one sounds really doofus-y. And 'fresh', if you know what 'fresh' I'm on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh-sugarrr)
    Lol really? It was the only thing that made me laugh today haha!
    Aah did you see it then? serious blonde moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    Aah did you see it then? serious blonde moment
    nah mate haha not a sadoo just been pissed off so it kinda seemed funny

ReputationRep:
    Equally you could ask why it isn't oneteen, twoteen, threeteen fourteen etc etc

EDIT:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    I think a better question is why are 11, 12, 13 and 15 not said as oneteen, twoteen, threeteen, and fiveteen? We need consistency! It's madness I tell you, madness!
    You beat me to it :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    On a similar note, why is the literal translation of 99 from French "four-twenty-nineteen"?

ReputationRep:
    You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much time on your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abused Tampon)
    Why isn't 11 pronounced "onety-one"?
    other numbers such as twenty-one and thirty-one and forty-one etc... are normal
    why does the number 11 have to different?
    cos ur a fail

ReputationRep:
    Because then you'd have to go "One, two, three...nine, onety" which just sounds silly, and then we'd be on a nonesimal system, which makes no sense when we have ten fingers. Go complain to those who use vigesimal systems, like the French, about their word for 80 being "Four-Twenties", or the Welsh for their number 36 being "One on Fifteen on Twenty."

ReputationRep:
    not exactly an answer to the question, but just thought id say it haha

i have a weird relationship with the number eleven... here goes
    - my first name starts with 'k' - 11th letter
    - my middle name starts with 'v' - 11 letters after 'k'
    - i was born on the 11th
    - ... of the 11th month (november haa)
    - ... in 1992 (9+2 of '92' = 11 ahaha)
    - my name is 11 letters long (ok without the middle name, but still)

i cant think of anymore things right now... but yeah... hahaa

afterthought - onety one would be kinda cool but i think twoty two is just awesome haha

ReputationRep:
    Haha..This post made me lol. Thanks for that OP i needed cheering up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gregory)
    Wait, was I supposed to try and be funny?
    Yes. Your knowledge and insight are frankly unwelcome here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.