Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think there's anything wrong with letting a 9 year old boy play COD? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Until someone proves a causal link between video game violence and acts in real life then I don't see a problem with it. Such a link is the realm of tabloids and desperate lawyers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for crying out loud. Our parents have grown up watching cartoon characters pull out guns to shoot a Rabbit. What's up doc. I'd say that alone is pretty twisted. Does the lack of blood spilling really wrap a child mind any more? Do they then become distressed and violence towards one another? No.

Adults frequently underestimate the maturity and capable minds of children. I don't know any 9 year old who cannot tell apart on screen violence and actual violence. Who cannot differentiate using a control to shoot a player and using a machine gun.

If Call of Duty makes me violent, does Barbie dress up make me peaceful? does Pokemon make me want to become a animal trainer? does Grand Theft auto encourage me to steal cars? do pigs fly?

No. No more than Harry Potter or Narina books encourage me to attack people with wands or lock myself in my wardrobe. Stop patronising children and stop using video games as scapegoats video games.

There is NO link to violence and video games. Get over it you sensationalists and get back to raising mature children, who can cope with fantasy and reality!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. He's not way too young, but it does seem a bit weird :L

ReputationRep:
    I grew up playing violent video games, and I'm the least violent person I know!

... Though that may be because I killed everyone else I knew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Oh for crying out loud. Our parents have grown up watching cartoon characters pull out guns to shoot a Rabbit. What's up doc. I'd say that alone is pretty twisted. Does the lack of blood spilling really wrap a child mind any more? Do they then become distressed and violence towards one another? No.

Adults frequently underestimate the maturity and capable minds of children. I don't know any 9 year old who cannot tell apart on screen violence and actual violence. Who cannot differentiate using a control to shoot a player and using a machine gun.

If Call of Duty makes me violent, does Barbie dress up make me peaceful? does Pokemon make me want to become a animal trainer? does Grand Theft auto encourage me to steal cars? do pigs fly?

No. No more than Harry Potter or Narina books encourage me to attack people with wands or lock myself in my wardrobe. Stop patronising children and stop using video games as scapegoats video games.

There is NO link to violence and video games. Get over it you sensationalists and get back to raising mature children, who can cope with fantasy and reality!

To be fair - that wasn't the point I was arguing it from. I'm a gamer myself - If you read my first post on page 2, I've explained my position!

ReputationRep:
    no...its only a video game at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    Personally not, because I think in today's society we are desensitised to violence far more than we should be, and that would only increase it vastly at such a young age, and I believe that's a powerful thing.

ReputationRep:
    My lil bro is 12 and his KD is 2.1 lol. But he is not a hardcore gamer, my parents only allow him to play on weekends

ReputationRep:
    ****'s sake, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. I'm no prude and I don't think that I'm especially bland, but I don't think that things such as a game centred around (if it is anything like MW) terrorism and violent acts of murder are really suitable for a nine-year old. I wouldn't pass judgement on those who have/had no problem with it, but not me. I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    The user qwentyj has critcised my parents for letting my bro play black ops (this thread isn't criticising him btw! lol)
    It's an 18 rated game for those who don't know.

Would you let your kids play it? I don't see anything wrong with it tbh
    Is there anything wrong?

YES

It is rated at 18 for a reason and lumping a 9 yr old in front of the television is not going to help him develop in any way.
    Give him something constructive to do like lego.

ReputationRep:
    No. But it depends on the child. I was about 9 years old when I started playing Counter Strike etc. Haven't turned into an insane murderer yet!

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't.
    I didn't let my brother play GTA: San Andreas when he was that age.

Something about killing humans so casually doesn't sit well with me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want my 9 year old son playing

A woman came into our store yesterday wanting to buy it for her SIX year old son. I was like :lolwut: Maybe Mario Kart would be better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    The user qwentyj has critcised my parents for letting my bro play black ops (this thread isn't criticising him btw! lol)
    It's an 18 rated game for those who don't know.

Would you let your kids play it? I don't see anything wrong with it tbh
    I was playing Half-Life age 8, which is much more immersive, graphic and lets be honest - realistic than COD.

Pubes

Then came Deus Ex, and I became a man. What a game.

ReputationRep:
    It's not gonna turn him into a psychopath, and multiplayer is fine, but maybe turn on the violence/ language filter for SP?

Probably not. I wasn't allowed to play games like GTA or whatever until I was at least 11/12 and that was with a stern lecture from my parents. Mind, those games were back on the PS2 so had the more cartoony graphics and, even though it was still violent, it didn't have anything like you see on Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops these days.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think I would let my nephew play it. If he's anything like the men in my family he will play violent killing games eventually..non stop. So I'd try to post pone the process as long as I can..

Also, guys correct me If I'm wrong, but from what I've seen Black Ops seems to be really.. propaganda loaded? :confused:

ReputationRep:
      I was allowed to play the first GTA game when I was 7. Alright it was 2D but you could still kill people. I got GTA 3 when I was 10 and was allowed to play any video game I wanted. I don't believe violent video games have an effect on people unless they already have something wrong with their mind.

ReputationRep:
      Depends if he's a scrub or not.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.