Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nationwide protests against tax avoiders - 4 Dec 2010 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Avoiding tax is not "taking resources". It is simply refusing to give your hard earned money to the lazy and feckless underclass.
    That's an entirely narrow-minded statement. Tax goes into health, education, defence, pensions and so many other areas that will benefit you and your community.

Whilst I do not agree with giving lots of money to the poor, especially the poor who refuse work, you can't go around justifying the non-payment of your taxes by saying it's all going to the poor, because the fact is it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    £75 a year is more then anyone needs, most people dream of that amount of money including people who work extremly hard and imo that's rich.

How can you live on £75 a year anywhere in the world?

ReputationRep:
    must have forgot to put a k there

ReputationRep:
    How can you make a definite moral decision about how much is 'too much money' for one person to have? £150k is just a number after all. If we were in, say, India £20k would be rich.

ReputationRep:
    as if these tax evading scum are going to voluntarily start paying tax just because a few people with too much time on their hands are protesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    £75 a year is more then anyone needs, most people dream of that amount of money including people who work extremly hard and imo that's rich.
    What country are you living in to say that £75 a year is rich?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    must have forgot to put a k there
    Ahhhh you're back!

So do you think business's shouldn't be able to reclaim VAT?

ReputationRep:
    the tax avoidance tax evasion debate is not about vat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    the tax avoidance tax evasion debate is not about vat
    Yet its an avoidance of paying tax. Thats odd.

Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    It legal and acceptable

I wonder will the rioters take into consideration how many jobs are made available as a result.
    Whether something is legal (statement of fact) does not necessarily make it acceptable (statement of opinion).

There are a huge number of things that could be looked at through that prism and people would give a myriad of different answers:

- Homosexuality
    - Gay Marriage
    - Tax avoidance
    - Arms exports
    - Levels of immigration
    - Payments to certain charities/voluntary organisations. (e.g. ones that make Daily Mail headline writers think "Kerching!" in terms of screaming headlines).

The reason why protestors are using the term "avoiders" rather than "evaders" is because the latter is a criminal offence and to accuse someone of being an evader without evidence is potentially libellous/slanderous and actionable in court.

The Atheist Bus campaign also chose threw the word "probably" into the "There is no God" slogan on the grounds that someone would contest it in the courts or with the ASA - and they didn't have the funds at the time to defend themselves. Christians on the other hand had no such qualms. When the case hit the ASA, they took the decision of stating it was all "political" and washed their hands of it rather than having to pass judgement on the facts of whether there was or was not a God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    as if these tax evading scum are going to voluntarily start paying tax just because a few people with too much time on their hands are protesting.
    The aim is to put pressure on the Government by raising the issue within wider society - and to take on the issue of "We're all in this together".

http://www.fda.org.uk/Media/HMRC-nee...on-leader.aspx - HMRC could do with more senior tax inspectors and trained investigators for a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    The aim is to put pressure on the Government by raising the issue within wider society - and to take on the issue of "We're all in this together".

http://www.fda.org.uk/Media/HMRC-nee...on-leader.aspx - HMRC could do with more senior tax inspectors and trained investigators for a start.
    But the government we have now is retarded. I don't think we want them to make any more decisions about this country. They'd probably end up allowing all women and 'ethnic minorities' to evade tax while the white males will end up paying triple tax rates, to go in line with their new policy on 'equal' employment opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in protesting about things the government can't do anything more to combat than they already are?

It's like people who go out and protest against Islamic extremism... who are they protesting at? The perpetrators? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Avoiding tax is not "taking resources". It is simply refusing to give your hard earned money to the lazy and feckless underclass.

But aren't those 'feckless untermenschen' also avoiding tax when they work cash-in-hand whilst claiming JSA?

Look's like someone is a ****ing imbecile... (I'll give you a clue: it's not me...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    But aren't those 'feckless untermenschen' also avoiding tax when they work cash-in-hand whilst claiming JSA?

Look's like someone is a ****ing imbecile... (I'll give you a clue: it's not me...)
    Point?

ReputationRep:
    It is not only ethical, but is every Englishman's constitutional duty, to minimise the amount of tax which he allows the evil and treasonous persons comprising HM Gov and its subsidiaries to take, via whatever means he feels fit.

ReputationRep:
    Whether something is legal (statement of fact) does not necessarily make it acceptable (statement of opinion).

There are a huge number of things that could be looked at through that prism and people would give a myriad of different answers:

- Homosexuality
    - Gay Marriage
    - Tax avoidance
    - Arms exports
    - Levels of immigration
    - Payments to certain charities/voluntary organisations. (e.g. ones that make Daily Mail headline writers think "Kerching!" in terms of screaming headlines).

The reason why protestors are using the term "avoiders" rather than "evaders" is because the latter is a criminal offence and to accuse someone of being an evader without evidence is potentially libellous/slanderous and actionable in court.

The Atheist Bus campaign also chose threw the word "probably" into the "There is no God" slogan on the grounds that someone would contest it in the courts or with the ASA - and they didn't have the funds at the time to defend themselves. Christians on the other hand had no such qualms. When the case hit the ASA, they took the decision of stating it was all "political" and washed their hands of it rather than having to pass judgement on the facts of whether there was or was not a God.
    This has nothing to do with homosexuality, levels of immigration or even Atheism.
    I don't like the terminology "avoiders" since it is very ignorant.

For example, when I go down to tesco, I buy Warburton Farmhouse bread. Why should I pay for Warburton Wholemeal Bread. I don't need it so why should I pay for it?

Same with tax, if there is an opportunity of a person not paying a certain tax, and he does not use the end product produced by the state as such, why should he pay for it?

A lot of these big businesses such as Vodafone provide thousands of jobs. If the UK is to remain competitive then it has to give lee-way.

It is not legally wrong and is acceptable. In my opinion, I can't see anything wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Follow http://twitter.com/pennyred for some kwalitee commentary of the fun & games in London.

E.g. A police officer picking up and carrying out Guardian columnist Polly Toynbee!!!

ReputationRep:
    Crikey! Now they are kicking out ordinary shoppers for supporting the protests (while mischevious types stick on "this item free" labels all over the merchandise)

ReputationRep:

- Homosexuality
    - Gay Marriage
    - Tax avoidance
    - Arms exports
    - Levels of immigration

Avoidance is a good thing though. Seeing as I view most taxes as immoral.
    Meaning this protest is stupid. How dare people do something which is legal for their own benefit! How dare they!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.