Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    www.unistats.com

Using Cambridge as an example,
    History: 96% 2.1+
    Mathematics: 70% 2.1+

Seriously, you have to be ****ing retarded not to get a 2.1 in an arts subject.
    Awful use of statistics there.

You have neglected to mention the percentage being acheived in other classifications. For all we know, less people are getting a 2.1 in Mathematics because more of them are getting 1st class marks instead.

Not that I'm saying that is the case. What I'm saying is you must be an idiot to think that's a decent way of reporting the numbers. I hope you do not study mathematics. Besides, looking at unistats the figure for 2.1 in History at Cam is actually 74%, which isn't that different from Mathematics.

Oh god, my face when I see you're applying for a PhD in Physics and you think this is the basis for a decent argument. I'd love to watch you defend your thesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxCBxX)
    I believe that's not the same for all universities? Though it is the case for mine :yep:
    It's the case for all UK universities. In the US, because their courses are a lot less intense, their grade boundaries are more lax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

You have neglected to mention the percentage being acheived in other classifications. For all we know, less people are getting a 2.1 in Mathematics because more of them are getting 1st class marks instead.

Not that I'm saying that is the case. What I'm saying is you must be an idiot to think that's a decent way of reporting the numbers. I hope you do not study mathematics. Besides, looking at unistats the figure for 2.1 in History at Cam is actually 74%, which isn't that different from Mathematics.

Oh god, my face when I see you're applying for a PhD in Physics and you think this is the basis for a decent argument. I'd love to watch you defend your thesis.
    He said 2.1 + which includes firsts.

I believe that "I'd love to watch you defend this" would be an apposite comment.

ReputationRep:

I thought by 2.1+, it meant the % getting a 2.1 or a first? If so, the remaining percentage would have got a 2.2 or worse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    It's the case for all UK universities. In the US, because their courses are a lot less intense, their grade boundaries are more lax.
    Ah I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    It depends on both........why do you think so many arts students get 2:1's yet science students don't? :rolleyes:
    Seriously, stop kidding yourself.
    Actually there are some stats in the net showing that large proportion of science students tend to get a 1st, then a small portion 2.1 and again quite a big portion 2.2 or lower. But art students on the other hand tend to get more 2.1s but minority get a 1st.

I might guess and say I saw it on unistats but not 100% sure.

ReputationRep:

You got negged for that! There's some hothoused schoolkids on here gonna get a proper haircut when they get to their russell group unis for real.

ReputationRep:

Why is everything you post so utterly condescending and insulting? If you weren't so awful to people who you think make mistakes, you would come off much better when you yourself make mistakes (i.e. in this case).

The poster stated "2:1 +". That refers to people who got a 2:1 OR higher than that. It's interesting how you claimed that other poster had the figures wrong, then only looked up one of the figures yourself. The full breakdown (from unistats) is:

Maths 1st- 29%
    Maths 2:1- 41%
    History 1st- 22%
    History 2:1- 74%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valh)
    I thought by 2.1+, it meant the % getting a 2.1 or a first?.
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UU.. Didn't see the +.

ReputationRep:

Since everyone else has pointed out the flaws in this post, I'll just say this:

moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alharrison4)
    Please could you say what you are basing this on? Is it just your own experience, or are there official figures?

I disagree that science students have to work harder; subjects like History, English and Law, from what I hear from others as well as my own interpretation, require a lot of effort. As was said above, it's impossible to generalise in that way; to say one degree is easier than another is subjective.
    You're right. I know im only studying alevels at the moment but I do english literature, physics and chemistry. They are all hard in the sense that they all challenge you in different ways. Depending on what sort of person you are, you cope better in some subjects more than others. I myself do better in english yet others who do similar subjects to me struggle with it and find their science subjects easier to cope with. One of the guys in my year dropped english for AS but is a medic applicant to oxford with a good chance of getting in. Another guy dropped chemistry and is most likely to go and study english at a pretty good uni (Cannot remember where).

ReputationRep:
    Since everyone else has pointed out the flaws in this post, I'll just say this:

moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    Actually there are some stats in the net showing that large proportion of science students tend to get a 1st, then a small portion 2.1 and again quite a big portion 2.2 or lower. But art students on the other hand tend to get more 2.1s but minority get a 1st.

I might guess and say I saw it on unistats but not 100% sure.
    Yeah, I would love to know what sciences and where from as everyone I know doing sciences only have about 2 or 3 people in their courses on for a 1st......, some on for a 2:1, and most on for a 2:2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Yeah, I would love to know what sciences and where from as everyone I know doing sciences only have about 2 or 3 people in their courses on for a 1st......, some on for a 2:1, and most on for a 2:2
    Stats which I saw were for physics

ReputationRep:
    I thought he meant 2:1 or 1st and I still think it's ahem statistically naieve to point at pass rates as measure of 'hardness'

Unistats data

Same course title - two universities.

OXFORD UNIVERSITY: Mathematics and Statistics
    First class honours : 45%
    Lower / undivided second class honours : 10%
    Ordinary degree : 0%
    Other honours / pass : 8%
    Not subject to classification : 0%
    Upper second class honours : 38%

Cambridge University maths & stats
    First class honours : 29%
    Lower / undivided second class honours : 20%
    Ordinary degree : 0%
    Other honours / pass : 8%
    Not subject to classification : 1%
    Upper second class honours : 41%

For those of you with so much faith in tables of pass rates to show difficulty please explain the discrepancy in firsts.
    Is it the courses at these august institutions differing wildly in hardness or is it their students differing wildly in cleverness?

or perhaps could it be something a little more complicated that'd require a bit more than googling up a few percentages to sort out.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, you have to be ****ing retarded not to get a 2.1 in an arts subject.
    Look, there's no need to be offensive and belittle my English/ History degree.
    There are many reasons why someone might fail to get a 2:1; it's not always about intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    That sounds perfect. Ideally you would want to look at a past paper and every time you finish a topic in your module, do a past paper question on it. That way you can tell how well you understood the material with respect to the expected difficulty of the exam. If you aren't happy with your answer see your class teacher or lecturer.

But doing this on top of the reading, going over lectures, and assignments will take a lot of time, and to be honest, I haven't done it my self this term coz i am too lazy. but i will try to go over 1 or 2 past papers for my modules (i only have 3 so thats good) over the xmas holidays.
    I like the idea of doing a past paper question after each topic.

The only problem I really have is getting solutions to past papers, especially in Econometrics we've only been given a few salient points from our professor in terms of what she would expect. I guess if we were given model solutions then there wouldn't be much point to taking exams

Good luck with exams

ReputationRep:
    Also I find it really funny that people get offended when someone says a science degree is harder or whatever-who cares?

As long as you get a good grade, enjoy yourself at university and get a good job. Thats all that really matters.

You guys need to stop being so touchy

ReputationRep:
    Pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    Harder than getting a 2.2, not as hard as getting a First. This one's for free, but next time I will charge a consultation fee.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.