Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PS3 vs. Xbox 360 - The Ultimate Verdict (Which is Superior?) Watch

• View Poll Results: PS3 vs. Xbox 360 - The Ultimate Verdict
    PS3
    57.25%
    Xbox 360
    32.82%
    Abstain - only ever played one, never played either, etc.
    9.92%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    There's just no arguing that the PS3 is more superior. The Xbox is a cheap gaming system that only uses HD DVDs, which limits the size of games and limits the quality of other media stored on those discs. The Xbox is designed to be bought on a low budget for casual gamers and to be cheap to replace. The Xbox only exists to extract as much money as possible from its consumers and in the end owning an Xbox costs a lot more than a PS3.
    Actually, the 360 doesn't use HD DVDs. It uses DVD's.

Blu Ray DESTROYED HD DVD and HD DVD died.

PS3 > 360

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I prefer the 360 because I hate the PS3 controller. Made for tiny Japanese hands...¬¬
    Must be why i prefer playstation then cos of my small hands :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smc2010)
    No offence to anyone but you'll find gaming newbies, e.g people who didn't start on the Megadrive, NES, Snes etc will think the 360 is better, but to hardcore gamers, the PS3 is the better console.

Free online,
    don't need to pay for a plug n charge kit like 360,
    built in blu ray, you had to buy a hd dvd player separately which died of death anyway....
    BUILT IN WIRELESS in ps3, no built in wireless in the early 360's
    360 failure rate was 1/3 then up to 50% on early 360's (source; Kotaku)

need i go on?
    I think that's a touch unfair. You criticise the Xbox for changes since the release (HD-DVD dying) and also for the original faults which have now been solved (no built in wireless and failure rates). It's a biased argument, picking factors from the past or present to suit your opinion. Fair enough, Xboxes did have a few weaknesses originally, but you can't hold the past against them forever.

ReputationRep:
    PC.

In all honestly, the console doesn't matter much when you have the community of either PS3/Xbox imo.

ReputationRep:
    Flamebait.

Ill chuck in my two cents.. In terms of online services: Xbox live
    Exclusives: To each their own, I'd say its a 50/50 split
    Graphics: PS3 has capacity to create sick graphics on first party games, but is inconsistent on third party games. While xbox 360 has capacity to have good graphics all round, sometimes to a higher standard than ps3 To be bluntly honest i bought a ps3 because they advertised amazing graphics that was leaps and bounds above the competition. It was definitely a big exaggeration.. but its graphics are still good. With xbox 360 i didnt expect much, but both consoles are pretty much on par here.

New features: Kinect is definitely a winner here, no doubt.
    Cost of ownership: Playstation 3 in the long term.. £30 a year for Xbox live does get annoying at times -__-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Neither. A social life is clearly superior.
    Is having both a console and a social life such an implausible idea?

ReputationRep:
    Xbox ftw, sony sucks! Ive never played ps3

ReputationRep:
    I have owned both and the xbox is definately better especially the new slim model, live is awesome and gears of war is kick ass online with mates!.

360 is so crap they need to release a new version for it ... a one that had wifi and no dam red lights

ReputationRep:
      Personally I'm an xbox gal... I have long fingers and find the ps3 controllers a little fiddly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by smc2010)
      No offence to anyone but you'll find gaming newbies, e.g people who didn't start on the Megadrive, NES, Snes etc will think the 360 is better, but to hardcore gamers, the PS3 is the better console.

Free online,
      don't need to pay for a plug n charge kit like 360,
      built in blu ray, you had to buy a hd dvd player separately which died of death anyway....
      BUILT IN WIRELESS in ps3, no built in wireless in the early 360's
      360 failure rate was 1/3 then up to 50% on early 360's (source; Kotaku)

need i go on?
      Since when did 'hardcore gamers' care about any of the things you listed?
      The more competitive gamers care much more about gameplay, size of the community and competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by blueray)
      360 is so crap they need to release a new version for it ... a one that had wifi and no dam red lights
      [MODEDIT]they released a slim one for the same reason sony released a slim one
      new models = big sales boost!

ReputationRep:
      People, keep it civil please. I'm happy for this thread to carry on if you can all be sensible, but I will not tolerate abuse towards each other.

ReputationRep:
      I have both. They're the same.

Playstation has blu-ray tho, which probably edges it.

ReputationRep:
      I think they both have some important advantages:

Xbox:
      -Larger online community
      -Better controller (PS3's controller doesn't feel stiff and has the joysticks in odd places)

PS3:
      -Blu Ray
      -Free online

ReputationRep:
      I have an Xbox, but I only use it for single-player gaming. Blu-ray, online, etc. etc. don't matter to me, and the exclusives on both aren't very compelling (with the possible exception of MGS4), so for me it really boils down to which colour scheme you prefer, and whether you're happier risking the RROD or the YLOD. :p:

ReputationRep:
      I own both.

The 360 is better for playing games. Hands down. No question. Every single multiplatform game I've ever played on both has run better on the 360, usually because they're designed for the 360 then ported (often shoddily) to the PS3. Its controller is so superior to the PS3's that they're not in the same league, and its online service, though pricier, is accepted as the current golden standard. Unless you have a serious hard-on for Jap exports, there's no reason to choose the PS3 as a game-playing machine.

As an all-round entertainment product, though, PS3 is the winner. Its iPlayer functionality, for example, is superb, and the ability to play Blu-Ray movies isn't to be sniffed at.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FyreFight)
      I own both.

The 360 is better for playing games. Hands down. No question. Every single multiplatform game I've ever played on both has run better on the 360, usually because they're designed for the 360 then ported (often shoddily) to the PS3. Its controller is so superior to the PS3's that they're not in the same league, and its online service, though pricier, is accepted as the current golden standard. Unless you have a serious hard-on for Jap exports, there's no reason to choose the PS3 as a game-playing machine.

As an all-round entertainment product, though, PS3 is the winner. Its iPlayer functionality, for example, is superb, and the ability to play Blu-Ray movies isn't to be sniffed at.
      I have just read the stupidest post ever. But i'm sure someone else on here can top it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Psyk)
      I abstained because I have both and I like them equally.

I also develop for both and they each have their own advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.
      I like them both the same too, but I hardly ever use them these days.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooj)
      I have just read the stupidest post ever. But i'm sure someone else on here can top it.
      Don't hate cause you know its true.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.