Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maintenance loan not enough! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I buy games and buy none no frills food and i still have money left over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I believe that 4950 is the max loan. If your parents earn over £50,000/£60,000 (can't remember which) then you get 3/4 of the max loan. Then the less you earn under the threshold, the more loan you get. Then it comes to a point where they start substituting a pound of the loan for 2 pounds of grant.

It's a bit confusing, but basically 4950 is the amount of loan you would get if your parents earned JUST too much to get any grant.

I'm not 100% on this, but it's the way I've understood it.
    Thanks, I didn't realise that the loan was affected by income!

EDIT: Why have I been neg repped for this? Did I say something offensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lareneg)
    London. And IMO, you miss out on alot if you live off campus as a fresher.
    and Exeter :-) Stupidly expensive here too.

ReputationRep:
    To everyone saying get a job, its not as easy as that, at the moment you have a hundred people applying for the same job and its the people who have already finished uni or have specific experience or lets face it whose family and friends already work there that are getting what little jobs are available, also when you first move to the uni you wont have a job, yet you still need to pay for books and rent and food, travel etc, i wish i was poor because at least then i might not have to consider giving up uni because of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben788)
    I have a job, but there's no guarantee I'll be able to get another one during holidays!

Also my parents can't and won't help, yet there're earning over 50,000.
    If you're worried about not having enough money while you study, you may want to consider what you'll do after graduating with a degree in archaeology. It could also be the reason why your parents aren't offering any financial assistance. How about you have a chat with them and ask them what course they would help you with?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.