Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylesXD)
    i personally use Firefox & Internet explore 9 Beta, people only hate it cause its Microsoft :mad:
    or some other "stupid reason"
    It's blatantly inferior for most things :p:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Search button, instead of caps lock.

That is not cool.
    May I ask why?

It might decrease the number of pre-teens WRITING LYK THIS LOLOL on Bebo and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    May I ask why?

It might decrease the number of pre-teens WRITING LYK THIS LOLOL on Bebo and the like.
    I agree with your questioning - it seems like a good move to replace the caps lock key.
    But I disagree with your justification, which appears to be taken straight from the google statement. Holding down the shift key is very easy and circumvents this attempt. In fact it's almost easier to use the shift key.

My justification is more along the lines of
    1) Who actually uses caps lock? A search button is far more useful.
    2) Helps remove the issues people have with entering passwords with caps lock on.

I've never touched the Caps Lock key except to turn it off when I accidentally turn it on. 'Search' button is a positive change and I'm glad Google are thinking in this manner.

To reiterate a question here, if anyone can answer: ChromeOS (when it eventually releases), will the notebooks be made by various manufacturers (like Windows) or by, in essence, by Google themselves (like Apple)?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who does not live in a city, and has a .2 mbps connection, I can honestly say cloud computing would be hell. I can't even stream spotify, let alone a program or video. Also our wireless keeps cutting out due to the nearest BT centre (BT are the only phone company to have a line around here) being ****ing miles away, and in conjunction with it taking a good few days to get a BT technician centre out I can imagine it being probably the worst computing experience I ever have.

Also thanks to all this **** I doubt I would ever trust the internet enough to have an OS based on it, I just wouldn't feel like I could rely on it.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I agree with your questioning - it seems like a good move to replace the caps lock key.
    But I disagree with your justification, which appears to be taken straight from the google statement. Holding down the shift key is very easy and circumvents this attempt. In fact it's almost easier to use the shift key.

My justification is more along the lines of
    1) Who actually uses caps lock? A search button is far more useful.
    2) Helps remove the issues people have with entering passwords with caps lock on.
    I remember reading Google's justification as being along the lines of "it'll improve the quality of posts made across the web" or something, I didn't read it properly, but I still think this is a valid reason along with the two you provided. Most people who type in caps lock across the web would've turned on the caps lock function the day they bought their laptop and never looked back, or they would turn the function on every time they use the computer as an act of habit. I don't think most of them would go to the effort of holding the shift key for everything they type (which to us, seems just as easy than using caps lock) so without the button there, I do believe many 'offenders' would no longer bother.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    To reiterate a question here, if anyone can answer: ChromeOS (when it eventually releases), will the notebooks be made by various manufacturers (like Windows) or by, in essence, by Google themselves (like Apple)?
    They're already partnered with companies like Samsung and Acer (with more to come) so to me it looks like the notebooks will be built by various manufacturers specifically for Chrome OS. I don't think Google will be producing any hardware themselves though I imagine the unbranded notebook to be used in the pilot program may have been developed internally.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Google make the most awesome videos :awesome:

(Original post by secretmessages)
    They're already partnered with companies like Samsung and Acer (with more to come) so to me it looks like the notebooks will be built by various manufacturers specifically for Chrome OS. I don't think Google will be producing any hardware themselves though I imagine the unbranded notebook to be used in the pilot program may have been developed internally.
    Ah, hm thanks for the answer. Don't know why I am a bit disheartened by that.

ReputationRep:
    A chrome OS netbook would have to be significantly cheaper than the regular notebooks in order for it to be commercially viable.

I can't see anybody paying ~£250+ for a google netbook that only allows you to surf the net when you can get netbooks for the same price that can surf the net and do just about all other things one can do on a computer...with only a slower boot-up speed being the downside.

It's a good idea IF the google OS netbooks are cheap but I think people would rather use mobile phones/tablet PCs if the want to quickly surf the net.

ReputationRep:
    Chrome OS is going to be initially put on Acer & Samsung machines.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/g...gets-detailed/

Mid 2011.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Choose how to destroy your Chrome Notebook :ninja2:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.