Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I honestly cannot see how an ID card will invade privacy/take away civil liberties/all that noise. Its just a bloody card, the government already has all that information anyway!

I just see no point in them, there are many other perfectly valid forms of ID, so it's just a waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, Ok from the reading of the posts so far, I have come up with a device which will please everyone; an electronic wallet! It would have a small LCD screen which would show your different cards (but obviously they would now be i digital format) so you could scroll between drivers license, credit cards etc, it would also be a fully functioning mobile phone, and you could pay for things easily and quickly at the press of a button!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    For someone who feels it pertinent to express a view on the ID cards, as they were proposed, you clearly know very little about them.

They were to hold the biometric information you mentioned, so as to be irrefutable proof as to the carrier's identity.

The data would be stored on a chip, thus allowing for other data to be stored alongside it - e.g. drivers' license, passport details etc.

So in fact you would have fewer documents on you, or in your pocket as you mentioned...
    I was actually merely giving my opinion and can wholeheartedly say that ID cards and biometrics are not my forté whatsoever.

Okay so, under this suggestion this card would contain everything? Why would I want anyone to have a sample of my DNA? It's mine after all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grth)
    I was actually merely giving my opinion and can wholeheartedly say that ID cards and biometrics are not my forté whatsoever.

Okay so, under this suggestion this card would contain everything? Why would I want anyone to have a sample of my DNA? It's mine after all...
    It's no different than knowing your blood type, skin colour, finger prints, signature etc. It's all personal to you. Infact I would prefer using fingerprints/DNA because it would be near impossible to forge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Hmmm, Ok from the reading of the posts so far, I have come up with a device which will please everyone; an electronic wallet! It would have a small LCD screen which would show your different cards (but obviously they would now be i digital format) so you could scroll between drivers license, credit cards etc, it would also be a fully functioning mobile phone, and you could pay for things easily and quickly at the press of a button!
    Dragon's Den. NOW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    It's no different than knowing your blood type, skin colour, finger prints, signature etc. It's all personal to you. Infact I would prefer using fingerprints/DNA because it would be near impossible to forge.
    I don't think you understand my point. I don't want to have to give anyone a sample of my DNA, or blood samples, or each individual whorl on my fingertips just to fight crime.

If these ID cards were to be introduced, would they be optional? I don't think i'd be very keen to be forced to divulge my bodily fluids and DNA just to be put on a big list somewhere.....

ReputationRep:
    1) Cost Money
    2) After Civil Liberties
    3) The idea is to counter terroism and to cut down on illegal immigration. I'm sorry but that was why passports are there. You can make fake passports but after 6 months of ID cards there will be fake ID cards.

Hence it will be a waste of money when you have to usually have a driving licence, passport etc anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    not such a bad idea at all, if it looked good and worked.

ReputationRep:
    many european countries use a passport/ID card system. my relatives in Poland have like a citizen card/id card that they usually carry instead of driving license, passport etc. has been the norm for years. really dont see the issue with the UK having a similar system...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grth)
    not such a bad idea at all, if it looked good and worked.
    And couldn't be faked by just having a picture of a driving license with your face shopped in having the physical card with its holograms and whatnot is surely more secure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Colossal waste of money.
    Precisely. Passports do the job just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    And couldn't be faked by just having a picture of a driving license with your face shopped in having the physical card with its holograms and whatnot is surely more secure?
    Hm, i guess :/
    Oh well, no Dragon's Den for you edd360.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightningfist)
    I'm not British.

Coming from a different country where the rules are different, it is at first very hard to believe that your citizens do not need to carry around an IC. It is initially as hard to believe for me as it is hard for you (British citizens) to believe (if it were to happen right now) that it is compulsory to carry ICs around.

In my country, you're required to have on your person your national IC at all times (I don't read the law but this is what I'm told). A cop can stop you and ask for it, if you fail to produce it you could/would be jailed and/or fined. Maybe a nice cop would let you "go home and get it", but I'm sure the basterds would just cause trouble for you.

This may sound ridiculous. Even so, I do not always have my IC on me.

Why are you guys saying it is expensive? Here we have to pay to get it replaced/renewed and it makes sense. However, if public money is used to fund it, its benefits outweight cost. If you bought everyone a bowl of rice it is gonna be bloody expensive for the entire population isn't it? ICs have virtually zero maintenance cost to the government.
    That to us is offensive. this is the major criticism of the plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Precisely. Passports do the job just fine.
    But they're easy to forge and not everyone has one.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting, but IMO there is no problem having ID. You need ID to drive, ID to buy alcohol, ID sometimes when using credit cards, ID to go in/out of the country etc. Why does having another piece of plastic handy "cross the line"?
    When you have to submit fingerprints, DNA and other biometrics to some database, just to get said card, the yes, that is crossing the line. Frankly the very idea of a system where its compulsory to have ID, just for the "priviledge" of being in a public place, is absolutely repulsive and a complete mockery of the fundamental principles of a free society. I for one would never obey such a law.

ReputationRep:
    I'd support a universal ID, but not one that is compulsory or has some kind of massive biometrics database to go with it. I'd just like a form of ID that you can be sure will be accepted in every situation where you need ID and is relatively cheap compared to a passport or driver's licence.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i wouldnt mind if it was cheaper than replacing my license, but i would mind if it was chipped so your being tracked. Then i refuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'd support a universal ID, but not one that is compulsory or has some kind of massive biometrics database to go with it. I'd just like a form of ID that you can be sure will be accepted in every situation where you need ID and is relatively cheap compared to a passport or driver's licence.
    I thought we had that already :\ you can get a citizen card or whatever with the pass logo and they have to accept it, if they don't you can fill in a form and get it investigated...so that should be pretty universal. And it's £15.

http://www.brc.org.uk/pass/default.a...1&content_id=0

http://www.citizencard.com/

ReputationRep:
    But they're easy to forge and not everyone has one.
    ID cards would prove "easy" to forge. If everyone hasn't got one, then they're placing their identity at risk by themselves. Introduction of ID cards would prove to be a colossal waste of money when there are measures already in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    I thought we had that already :\ you can get a citizen card or whatever with the pass logo and they have to accept it, if they don't you can fill in a form and get it investigated...so that should be pretty universal. And it's £15.

http://www.brc.org.uk/pass/default.a...1&content_id=0

http://www.citizencard.com/
    A lot of places don't accept them. They say they will be "investigated" but I don't think that means shops and bars are under any obligation to accept them, I think it just means they'll contact them to ask why they didn't accept it.

I'm not sure of the laws, but I think part of the problem is that the person serving will be held responsible if they serve someone with fake ID. Even if they really have no way of telling it's fake. I don't think these cards offer them any protection against that. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will respond.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.