Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

xc1991 does the Texas Method Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    What's the best position for squatting someone? Did you have your brother across your shoulders or in a piggy back style or something?
    Fireman's lift.

ReputationRep:
    What's the best position for squatting someone? Did you have your brother across your shoulders or in a piggy back style or something?
    normally when i squat people i have them sideways across the shoulders, just like you'd do with a barbell

however today i had to wrestle with him to get him up there (he didn't want to be squatted lol), so i carried him on my shoulder firemans style, and I got a core workout as he wriggled trying to escape me

(Original post by Brotherhood)
      Fireman's lift.
      (Original post by xc1991)
      normally when i squat people i have them sideways across the shoulders, just like you'd do with a barbell

however today i had to wrestle with him to get him up there (he didn't want to be squatted lol), so i carried him on my shoulder firemans style, and I got a core workout as he wriggled trying to escape me
      I've tried across the shoulders/barbell style but I couldn't go low enough and he kept wiggling/grumbling about things being in the way. But I'll try the fireman's lift tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
      I've tried across the shoulders/barbell style but I couldn't go low enough and he kept wiggling/grumbling about things being in the way. But I'll try the fireman's lift tomorrow.
      LOL, doesn't your gym have a barbell then? you just estimate a guys weight and politely ask to squat him?

LOL, doesn't your gym have a barbell then? you just estimate a guys weight and politely ask to squat him?
        Lol my gym does have a barbell and I have been squatting with weights but I'm currently at home on holidays and I haven't been able to workout so I've been trying to find an alternative by squatting my little brother, but it's not really working out.

ReputationRep:
        Lol my gym does have a barbell and I have been squatting with weights but I'm currently at home on holidays and I haven't been able to workout so I've been trying to find an alternative by squatting my little brother, but it's not really working out.
        its pretty easy to squat someone lol, how tall and heavy is he?

i have a 70kg brother for squats/ bench presses, and a 50 kg granmother for Overhead Presses

quick squat session with my girlfriend a few months back lol, my two methods:

first is easier than second

its pretty easy to squat someone lol, how tall and heavy is he?

i have a 70kg brother for squats/ bench presses, and a 50 kg granmother for Overhead Presses
            He weighs a little over 50kg. He's only 12 but a little shorter than I am, so perhaps 5'3-5'4 but I'm not sure. I think the main problem is that I'm really not that strong. My squat is only 57.5kg so I imagine it's quite difficult to carry over.

Anyway sorry about hijacking your thread.
            (Original post by commandant)
            quick squat session with my girlfriend a few months back lol, my two methods:

first is easier than second
            I don't think I could balance him like the first one, he'd probably end up falling over.

He weighs a little over 50kg. He's only 12 but a little shorter than I am, so perhaps 5'3-5'4 but I'm not sure. I think the main problem is that I'm really not that strong. My squat is only 57.5kg so I imagine it's quite difficult to carry over.

Anyway sorry about hijacking your thread.

I don't think I could balance him like the first one, he'd probably end up falling over.
              Yeh you're probably not ready for it. Get a broom, and hang something off either end? lol

ReputationRep:
              silently fuming at the moment, my gym was supposed to be open 8am-1pm today, got there at 12 noon to find it closed. Really annoying, especially when i was hyped up to lift some heavy stuff

I went for a jog outside to calm down. No idea what the distance was, but I managed 20 minutes on an uneven circuit at a (fairly) fast jog.

Methinks I may as well do the Monday session on Sunday now

ReputationRep:
              Did "monday" volume session 5 today (seeing as i haven't been gym for 6 days, i thought i'd go today)

10:45-12:15

Bench Press:

bar x 10
              50 kg x 8
              70 kg x 4
              92.5 kg x 5
              92.5 kg x 5
              92.5 kg x 5
              92.5 kg x 5 (spotter hovered under the bar, but i had the rep)
              92.5 kg x 5 (Failure)

This got real tough, normally i don't ask for a spotter until set 4, but today i asked for spotters on sets 3,4,5. set 3 went up easily. the last rep on set 4 the spotter hovered annoyingly underneath it like they do. On my last set i had the 5th rep still going up, but the spotter used "a little bit" of force to get it up. I'm still going to give myself the rep, and go for 95 kg 5 x5 next week.

Squats:

Bar x 10
              60 kg x 5
              90 kg x 3
              105 kg x 5
              105 kg x 5
              105 kg x 5
              105 kg x 5
              105 kg x 5

First 2 sets went up OK, set 3 was tough. I waited a long time between sets, and managed sets 4 and 5 with difficulty and pausing between some of the last reps. Not sure if thats for the best though, but i got the 5 x 5 x 105 kg

Barbell Rows:

bar x 7
              40 kg x 4
              70 kg x 5
              70 kg x 5
              70 kg x 5
              70 kg x 5
              70 kg x 5

No worries

Deadlifts:

I hadn't done any deadlifting for 9 days, and didnt want to wait till friday otherwise it would've been 2 weeks without deads!

60 kg x 4
              100 kg x 2
              125 kg x 4 (Grip Failure)

Deadlifts are still going up nicely, but i'm having real grip issues which are limiting my reps/ weight. may have to use chalk/alternating grip methinks.

All in all another taxing session, bench press will almost certainly stall next week. Squats i may be able to keep going till 110 kg 5 x5, it seems to be a matter of mind over musscle for squats at least. Hopefully I'll get the grip issue for deadlifts sorted by friday too.

ReputationRep:
              Wednesday Recovery Session 5- 11:00-11:45

Overhead Press:

Bar x 8

52.5 kg x 6
              52.5 kg x 6
              52.5 kg x 5 (failure)
              52.5 kg x 5 (failure)

Squats:

bar x 6
              60 kg x 3
              90 kg x 3
              90 kg x 3
              90 kg x 3

Pull ups:

BW + 10 kg x 8
              BW + 10 kg x 8
              BW + 10 kg x 8 (failure)

Sit up machine

3 sets of 30

Lat Pull down (machine not cable, so it was easier)

8 x 91 kg
              8 x 91 kg
              12 x 91 kg (failure)

Wednesdays workouts are always a bit weird, I'm never quite sure how hard i should be working. I thought i'd just do 4 sets of overhead press on Weds from now on, because I don't want my triceps knackered for bench press max out on Friday!

The day after my volume workout, my legs felt like they were on fire! Even getting up off the toilet seat I could feel the stress from 5 x 5 Squats. I'm looking forward to Friday, hopefully going to go for a 120 kg or maybe 122.5 kg Squat x 3 and a bench press 105 kg x 3. Deadlift I'm pretty confident i can keep progressing if i get my grip sorted.

ReputationRep:
              STALLED- Friday Intensity Session 5 11:15-12:15

Bench Press:

bar x 10
              50 kg x 7
              70 kg x 5
              90 kg x 3
              105 kg x 2 (was going for 3 reps, but failed towards the end of the 3rd rep)

Squats:

bar x 10
              60 kg x 5
              100 kg x 2
              120 kg x 2 (was looking for 4-5 reps, but failed at the bottom of rep 3 and dumped the bar)

Deadlift:

60 kg x 5
              100 kg x 4
              130 kg x 0 (regular grip)
              130 kg x 4 (alternating grip)

Haven't maxed out my OP in ages, so did it as well as bench press today:

Overhead Press:

bar x 6
              40 kg x 3
              65 kg x 4 (failure)

Disappointing session, but I was always going to stall eventually, and this is week 5 now. In my defence, bench press was VERY NEARLY there, the second rep went up easily, but the third rep not at all. Squats were shocking, 2 weeks ago i did 117.5 kg x 5, but only 120 kg x 2 today. My excuse for my poor peformance in the squat rack is as follows:

- i was the only person in the entire gym, normally the more people watching, the better i do
              - i didn't have a spotter, normally i squat with a spotter standing by, which mentally gives me an edge i feel
              -i didn't get to do an Intensity session last week

Deadlifts went well, the alternating grip is working, I'm not too sure if my technique is A1 however, I can feel some moderate back strain/pain immediately afterwards :/

ReputationRep:
              STALLED (very badly)- Monday Volume Session 6 10:00-11:00

Back in my uni gym today

Bench Press:

bar x 8
              50 kg x 6
              70 kg x 4

95 kg x 4
              92.5 kg x 4 DELOAD
              90 kg x 5 DELOAD
              90 kg x 5
              90 kg x 5 (tried for a 6th but failed halfway)

Not cool, admittedly I was back in my uni gym, and I was using the thicker bar, but I was shocked by my performace. Motivation was a factor though, the music was quiter, and I was a little depressed after measuring my waist last night...
              Advice on deloading/ staying with same weight please?

Squats:

After my poor performance on the bench I knew I was unlikely to be able to lift heavier than last time, or indeed keep my 105 kg squat for 5 x 5. I opted for 102.5 kg

bar x 8
              50 kg x 5
              75 kg x 4

102.5 kg x 5
              102.5 kg x 5
              102.5 kg x 5
              102.5 kg x 4 (failed rep 5)
              102.5 kg x 4 (the fourth rep took literally about 7 seconds to get up)

Barbell Rows:

bar x 10
              50 kg x 4

65 kg x 5
              65 kg x 5
              65 kg x 5
              65 kg x 5
              65 kg x 5

Took a tactical deload here, because I knew I was badly motivated from bench/squat.

Overall a really bad session, I hadn't expected to be able to progress on last mondays workout successfully, but I thought at the very least I could hold on to my gains, instead I've gone backwards 2-3 weeks. In my defence I've changed gyms and the music is really quite, also my eating yesterday was pretty poor owing to spending the day at my grandparents.

Checked Bodyweight after workout: 95.0 kg at 6'2 (up from 93.5 kg and my waist has got bug bigger, whilst lifts have stalled)

Advice anyone?

ReputationRep:
              When you say deload, what are you actually doing? Cos on most routines you'll try the same weight two or three times, then call it a stall, then deload properly (ie. more than 2.5kg).

For example, you're going for 92.5 5x5...

You fail it once, try again next session.
              You fail again, you have stalled.

You deload to 85kg and build back up to 92.5 over the next 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
              When you say deload, what are you actually doing? Cos on most routines you'll try the same weight two or three times, then call it a stall, then deload properly (ie. more than 2.5kg).

For example, you're going for 92.5 5x5...

You fail it once, try again next session.
              You fail again, you have stalled.

You deload to 85kg and build back up to 92.5 over the next 4 weeks.
              when i said deload, i meant i tried to do 5 reps with the barbell, realised i had no chance of completing a 5 x 5 on that weight, so i reduced it halfway through the set

ReputationRep:
              when i said deload, i meant i tried to do 5 reps with the barbell, realised i had no chance of completing a 5 x 5 on that weight, so i reduced it halfway through the set
              That's what I thought. So maybe try a proper deload then?

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
              That's what I thought. So maybe try a proper deload then?
              well i'm tempted to say it was just a bad gym session, (change of enviroment etc), but I'm taking the next 2 weeks off training due to exams...

So yeah once exams are over, I'll probably deload to Bench 85 kg 5 x 5, Squat 97.5 kg 5 x 5, barbell rows 65 kg 5 x 5.

:/

ReputationRep:
              Well that's why you wait until you've stalled more than once before you deload. Because if it's just once, then it could just be a bad day/you were tired/whatever.

ReputationRep:
              Wednesday Recovery Session 6

Squats (tried it without gloves):

bar x 10
              60 kg x 4
              85 kg x 3
              85 kg x 3
              85 kg x 3

Easy obviously, for those that don't know on wednesday Texas Method, you do 3 x 3 squats on around 85% of Mondays 5 x 5 weight.

Overhead Press (tried it without gloves today):

bar x 8
              30 kg x 4
              52.5 kg x 5 (this was too hard so i took weight off for next set)
              50 kg x 6
              50 kg x 6
              50 kg x 6

Lat Pull down (gloves back on):

30 kg x 6
              60 kg x 4
              72 kg x 8
              72 kg x 8
              72 kg x 9 (failure)

Pull ups:

BW + 10 kg x 8
              BW + 10 kg x 7 (failure)

My workout seems to have stalled lately, and I have exams coming up.. Therefore there will be no more gym sessions for 2-3 weeks.
              I am going to use the break to go on a bit of a cut, I'm going to drop calories from 4000 a day, to a little over 3000. Protein will be dropped from 210g a day, to around 150g (I weigh 210 lbs). I will also do some HIIT over the next couple of weeks- the aim being to lose some body fat, hopefully I can lose 2 kg's of fat over the next 3 weeks before I continue TM.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2011
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
            Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.