Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who joined since going to uni: Do you wish you'd been on TSR when applying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Because I want to become an optometrist, and there isn't a degree I can take at LSE to qualify myself.

You could apply to them anyway, TSR isn't directly linked to your UCAS application.
    Oh i see, you didnt miss anything imo, LSE looks awful.
    I cant apply anymore, its too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I'm glad I discovered TSR when I was already at uni and in my 20s, than if I'd discovered it as a 16/17 year old when I might have been intimidated by some of the stuff on here.

TSR is good in many ways for 6 formers but they also have to learn pretty quickly that many people on here are not here to give constructive advice, they are trying to slightly cyber bully people by making them feel like they aren't good enough, this happens especially on the university thing. Its easy if you've been rejected from Oxbridge or whatever and are secretly bitter about it, to set up an internet account as an Oxbridge troll, pretend you are there and talk down to people who didn't get in.

The big problem that I can see is some of the ambitious 6 formers want to go for Oxbridge/LSE etc, they join TSR, see all the banter about how those unis are great and if you go to a Russell Group Uni you are a comparative failure and so on. Then for some of these people they will get rejected by Oxbridge and end up at a different uni, and it means that rather than starting with the right attitude, they go into that uni thinking it's crap and thinking they deserve to be in a better place, they don't really want to be there, they feel like failures because of being picked on about it over the internet, and it might contribute to them not really giving it a fair crack before dropping out to 'reapply for Oxbridge'. You see this sort of situation on many threads in TSR.

In the real world I have NEVER seen anybody talk down to someone else about their institution or seen successful people banging on about it, but on TSR it happens all the time, which leads me to suspect that a lot of the people doing it don't quite have the academic background their cyber-space profile would suggest...

Perfect post.

I'm applying now, I joined before and it definitely hasn't influenced any of my choices, I mainly joined to chat to people who could be potential classmates/ flat mates or just seeing what sort of people could be attending my future uni. I look at some of the posts in here about people worrying that they won't get a job because they went to a poly and people telling me they're going to work in Mcdonalds, have no money etc, it seriously highlights how immature some people can be even at 18/19/20

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current applicant and I'm glad I'm on here. My university choices would have been so different and I don't think I'd have aimed as a high.
    I got loads of help with my personal statement and messaged loads of people about their courses which helped me make a more informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. :yep:

But this thread isn't about me - please, people, share stories.
    Once I got high in my room.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sod it - if many people are going to ask, I may as well share:

I applied for maths in the beginning and got my offers back ... when I realised I didn't want to do maths, or rather didn't want to do the jobs most maths graduates go into (I enjoy maths itself.) I wanted to do optometry, but didn't have the right subjects for it, but I decided to withdraw from my offers and use Clearing to try it.

Have a feeling people on TSR might have urged me to not reject LSE for the possibility of going to Anglia Ruskin.
    Hmm I was thinking about doing the same thing because I have serious doubts about my application.

Aren't you supposed to have some sort of work experience for optometry?

To answer your question OP, I wish I didn't. TSR is a serious fuel for procrastinating

ReputationRep:

I applied for maths in the beginning and got my offers back ... when I realised I didn't want to do maths, or rather didn't want to do the jobs most maths graduates go into (I enjoy maths itself.) I wanted to do optometry, but didn't have the right subjects for it, but I decided to withdraw from my offers and use Clearing to try it.

Have a feeling people on TSR might have urged me to not reject LSE for the possibility of going to Anglia Ruskin.
    Very brave! You're happy now too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Hmm I was thinking about doing the same thing because I have serious doubts about my application.

Aren't you supposed to have some sort of work experience for optometry?

To answer your question OP, I wish I didn't. TSR is a serious fuel for procrastinating
    Oh right, what sort of doubts - sometimes TSR can also be helpful ? And no, it's an advantage but not necessary.

(Original post by bigmo7)
    Very brave! You're happy now too?
    Brave? And yes, I am happy now - much happier than I think I would have been.

ReputationRep:
    Brave? And yes, I am happy now - much happier than I think I would have been.
    Of course, I don't think I could've ever gone through clearing tbh with you...it's kinda risky.

ReputationRep:

Really? I don't see why. Optometry is a very specific degree and you can't do it at LSE. It's not like you just rejected LSE maths for Anglia Ruskin maths.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I don't think I could've ever gone through clearing tbh with you...it's kinda risky.
    Clearing has a bad reputation more than anything. Can imagine it being very stressful if you're desperate for a place, but my thinking was more "Well, I've already entered the cycle, I may as well try it". Seeing as I only wanted to try for optometry through it, the stress wasn't there and I had a back-up plan for when it failed (I mean 'when' - I fully expected it to, didn't envision getting anything from it.)

What put you off of it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, what sort of doubts - sometimes TSR can also be helpful ? And no, it's an advantage but not necessary.
    I think I'm in the same position as you, I applied for psychology and I also applied for a science foundation year because I'm not sure what to do. Now I think I would like to do something that is healthcare related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Really? I don't see why. Optometry is a very specific degree and you can't do it at LSE. It's not like you just rejected LSE maths for Anglia Ruskin maths.
    I can almost guarantee you that if you put it up as a post - I've got an offer for maths at a top uni, but am considering rejecting it in favour of a niche degree at an ex-poly - you will get replies urging you that the maths at the top uni will open a lot of doors, and you can do the niche degree as a second degree if you still feel the same way in a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing has a bad reputation more than anything. Can imagine it being very stressful if you're desperate for a place, but my thinking was more "Well, I've already entered the cycle, I may as well try it". Seeing as I only wanted to try for optometry through it, the stress wasn't there and I had a back-up plan for when it failed (I mean 'when' - I fully expected it to, didn't envision getting anything from it.)

What put you off of it?
    The fact that I might have to reapply the year after...tbh I think you're right have it's reputation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    I think I'm in the same position as you, I applied for psychology and I also applied for a science foundation year because I'm not sure what to do. Now I think I would like to do something that is healthcare related.
    Arm yourself with knowledge. Research the routes you might like to take and try to get work experience or shadowing if you can. What sort of healthcare professions interest you? What puts you off of psychology?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that I might have to reapply the year after...tbh I think you're right have it's reputation though.
    Well yeah, but put it this way: it could work out for you, saving you having to reapply. And if it doesn't, you were only going to reapply anyway, so nothing lost.

Anyway, didn't come to that I presume?

ReputationRep:
    I can almost guarantee you that if you put it up as a post - I've got an offer for maths at a top uni, but am considering rejecting it in favour of a niche degree at an ex-poly - you will get replies urging you that the maths at the top uni will open a lot of doors, and you can do the niche degree as a second degree if you still feel the same way in a few years.
    But that niche degree probably has very good prospects for the career you want whereas maths wouldn't lead to that at all I think you're underestimating TSR.

Edit: Although I think people may have tried to put you off because of the risk of going into clearing without the right subjects (though I don't know how it works - could you have taken back your LSE offer if optometry failed?). But I don't think they'd have done it for the reasons you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    But that niche degree probably has very good prospects for the career you want whereas maths wouldn't lead to that at all I think you're underestimating TSR.
    Maybe - to be fair, most people on TSR are decent and, whilst they may not understand it, wouldn't rush into "OMG, how can you reject LSE!?"

However, I would still daresay at least some people would be blinded by the prestige. Plus bear in mind that a lot apply to and get rejected from places like Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial - to have someone who has got a place, perhaps one they would have practically killed for, and is considering declining it could very easily affect the way they would reply.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni, however my choices for applying would've been a lot different if I hadn't been on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I wasn't a member when I changed my mind and applied for Criminology rather than Computer Science. I realised I didn't want a career in computers but I probably would have asked for opinions on TSR. I'm grateful I wasn't on TSR, as let's just say a lot of TSR users don't have a high opinion of social sciences and may have persuaded me not to switch.

ReputationRep:
    Arm yourself with knowledge. Research the routes you might like to take and try to get work experience or shadowing if you can. What sort of healthcare professions interest you? What puts you off of psychology?
    Well before I was going to do medicine, I also thought of doing Radiography, but because I had no work experience, I decided to do psychology because it was the course I enjoyed the most. Now I cut the number of psychology courses in my choices and replaced with a foundation year. I guess what puts me off psychology is that it's less hands-on and even if I become a clinical psychologist it's not really hands on either like Radiography or medicine.

I'm thinking of just going for it and see where it gets me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.