Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know I can't help you at all but I hope you get this sorted soon and feel better

ReputationRep:
    Quit talking to strangers on a website and seek only qualified medical help, even if that hasn't worked out so far.

(Original post by Helenia)
    If you have an infection (which it sounds like you do, both from your symptoms and what they've heard on your chest), that can raise your D-dimer - it's a notoriously unreliable test and a positive result absolutely does NOT mean that there is definitely a DVT/PE. Large clots would produce visible changes on an X-ray but smaller ones would not - but the chance of you having a clot are very low, so I can still see why they don't want to do at CTPA.

I've not examined you myself so I can't say anything for sure, but it does not sound likely that you have a clot anywhere. I think trying some different things to help you relax is probably a very good idea.
    When I had the D Dimer result back, I was asked by my Dr if I had a cold/flu recently, to which I replied no because I hadn't. However this was all before my chest started hurting and I had it listened to by a Dr who heard it rattling. So like you said perhaps that is what caused the raised D Dimer, which is now taking a while to get out my system. :facepalm: I'd quite like it to go or at least settle before xmas because I'm v v unsettled and uncomfortable and pretty damn miserable. But I will take on board your advice and try and find some methods to help me relax and calm down.

(Original post by Eloise987)
    It could be numerous issues rather than one issue causing a whole host of symptoms? This would presumably make it harder to diagnose what's wrong with you. Agree with everybody else though, don't use the internet to self diagnose if you can help it. When my mum had cancer she was told to steer clear of internet forums etc altogether. They always outline the worst case scenario and are not beneficial in any way.
    Just keep going back until you feel better, nothing wrong with a bit of pestering. Maybe keep a detailed log book of your symtoms, updating it every time you feel a pain - what it feels like, where it is, what time it is, what you were doing at the time etc, as the more information you can give to your doctors the better I would guess.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Well I'm currently left with a leg that is still giving me a lot of bother, and a chest that is v painful. No idea if both are connected or like you said, perhaps 2 diff. problems that are going on :dontknow:. The one issue I really want sorted is the chest as it's the one thing that is most annoying; preventing me from being able to sleep or do my day to day activity.

I do however like the idea of keeping a log book, of everything that is happening. I will start that tomorrow, well try and record as accurately as possible of what has been happening.

Thanks for your post.

(Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    If the doctors can't find anything wrong with you then it's probably psychosomatic, i.e. the brain causes actual damage to the body with negative thoughts. I'm not making this up. It's basically the opposite of placebo.
    Yea the Dr in A&E basically suggested it was all in my head and that I am to calm down and chill out. But it's not in my head, I genuinely am experiencing these problems .

(Original post by OrangeSocks)
    I know I can't help you at all but I hope you get this sorted soon and feel better
    Thank you .

Quit talking to strangers on a website and seek only qualified medical help, even if that hasn't worked out so far.
    I'm not asking ANYONE on TSR to diagnose me, I am not that stupid - I simply made the thread in a bid to just offload and talk to people, as I haven't had that opportunity. I have seen 6 Drs and nobody has a clue what is wrong apart from loading me up of tablets and basically saying it's in my head. After this week, if there is no improvement (which I don't think there will be), I'm going for a 2nd opinion elsewhere or maybe go back to the Drs again, but kindly asking that I'm not given another course of unnecessary antibiotics.

ReputationRep:
    If the doctors can't find anything wrong with you then it's probably psychosomatic, i.e. the brain causes actual damage to the body with negative thoughts. I'm not making this up. It's basically the opposite of placebo.
    Just to say although obviously you should exhaust all other options first as there could be a serious underlying issue this could be a possibility. Folks will say "it's not just in my head, I really am in pain!" but the point is that they're not saying you're lying about your symptoms, you really do have horrible leg pain, it's just that your brain can cause phantom symptoms because of problems such as extreme stress. Sort of a poor example but for me if when I'm travel sick I focus on the fact I feel nauseous, it often gets worse more quickly then if I try and ignore it and focus on things out of the window.

My mum suffers from migraines, at times they can be very bad, however a part of me thinks they're psychosomatic. Reason being that she'll get a type of medication, it seems to help for a few weeks, then the migraines will be back. I also note, but don't comment as I don't want to upset her, that when she goes on holiday she NEVER gets on for the duration of the trip. I personally think even if she doesn't have depression, that it could be at least partially a mental thing because of her day to day life and thus when she escapes it on holiday she doesn't get any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you .

I'm not asking ANYONE on TSR to diagnose me, I am not that stupid - I simply made the thread in a bid to just offload and talk to people, as I haven't had that opportunity. I have seen 6 Drs and nobody has a clue what is wrong apart from loading me up of tablets and basically saying it's in my head. After this week, if there is no improvement (which I don't think there will be), I'm going for a 2nd opinion elsewhere or maybe go back to the Drs again, but kindly asking that I'm not given another course of unnecessary antibiotics.
    Sounds like health anxieties to me. Also known as hypochondria. That isn't to say that nothing is wrong, or that you're making things up - I've had health anxieties myself.

Basically, your mind is pretty powerful... easily capable of conjuring up symptoms or heightening negative sensations (such as pain). The more anxious you get, the more symptoms of anxiety you'll develop too... anxiety can cause chest pains, amongst other things.

Essentially, the best thing you can do now (even if there IS something wrong) is read up on anxiety and health anxiety, do a bit of self help - calm yourself down, try not to worry yourself. There are various breathing exercises as well as a bit of self-CBT that can help with this. And never, ever trawl through the internet - especially forums and boards for diagnosis, which are often inaccurate and full of people suffering from health anxiety who will inadvertently scare each other silly.

Why are you so sure it's DVT? Isn't it primarily associated with certain triggers such as long-haul flights, pregnancy and certain medicines? Maybe a little bit of research (in the RIGHT places) will help you. If it IS real, it's most likely perfectly curable, and if it isn't, well, health anxieties can be conquered.

ReputationRep:
    The brain doesn't damage the body. It can simulate symptoms such as pain or discomfort. This doesn't damage the person though, anxiety symptoms are harmless. Just thought we should clear that up - worrying someone who's already worried isn't a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    yep doctors are pile of ****e

(Original post by Rant)

Why are you so sure it's DVT? Isn't it primarily associated with certain triggers such as long-haul flights, pregnancy and certain medicines? Maybe a little bit of research (in the RIGHT places) will help you. If it IS real, it's most likely perfectly curable, and if it isn't, well, health anxieties can be conquered.
    I'd been on the pill for 6yrs, which ive now come off and I'd been on holiday to the US. When the pain started I just thought it was prob. muscular, I didn't for once think at that point it might be a DVT. Now mum thinks it might be something to do with my back?? Sciatic nerve?? :dontknow:

I'm now exhausted from researching avenues of what it might be and I'm no longer researching because like you and many others have said, it's adding to my anxiety and I'm not getting anywhere apart from more anxiety.

All I hope for is the symptoms to at least settle and calm down, esp. my chest and I'll be happy.

(Original post by Helenia)
    Thought I'd update you.

I had a blood test last week, and the result has come back with a high ALT (I think) again - something is wrong with my liver. So I am being sent for an urgent ultrasound on my tummy, and having another blood test for hepatitis!

From the sounds of things, I possibly caught something whilst on holiday during the summer.

Great!

(Before anyone decides to post ''It's sexually transmitted, no it's not because I haven't been sexually active for 3yrs and I was fully STI checked in January/February 2008, which was all clear).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thought I'd update you.

I had a blood test last week, and the result has come back with a high ALT (I think) again - something is wrong with my liver. So I am being sent for an urgent ultrasound on my tummy, and having another blood test for hepatitis!

From the sounds of things, I possibly caught something whilst on holiday during the summer.

Great!

(Before anyone decides to post ''It's sexually transmitted, no it's not because I haven't been sexually active for 3yrs and I was fully STI checked in January/February 2008, which was all clear).
    Here's hoping this'll give you some of the answers you are searching for =) Look on the bright side, at least they have another line of enquiry.

Keep up updated x

ReputationRep:
    Lupus is that you?

(Original post by Vohamanah)
    Here's hoping this'll give you some of the answers you are searching for =) Look on the bright side, at least they have another line of enquiry.

Keep up updated x
    Fingers crossed. Finally getting somewhere, at last! It's just taken 6weeks! The Dr in A&E 2weeks ago was trying to tell me it's all psychotic, ****ing idiot! And told me to go home and take painkillers!!

(Original post by F i s)
    Lupus is that you?
    Eff off!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.