Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brazil formally recognises the Palestinian state - Israel is 'saddened' Watch

ReputationRep:
    You know the reputation system is terrible when it appears "lol evil jews root of all evil terrorist" posts get several up votes and appear to be "right".

Though I don't blame people for struggling to recognize Israel as a legitimate state considering it was our ancestors that removed them from their homeland (which they are now back in thankfully) and repeatedly dispersed them throughout Europe etc. If anybody is squatting in that area it's the Arabs in "Palestine" (a word not related to Arabs but Philistine (Greek Mycenaeans and original enemies of Israel) people and originally used by an emperor renaming Israel after crushing a Jewish revolt).

also this:

"It needs to be understood why this is so dangerous, both to Israel and to the cause of peace. First, the Brazilian move, if copied by many others, all but scuppers any hope of meaningful peace talks. Why would the Palestinians make concessions or negotiate for something the world is going to give them anyway? Second, for Israel the 1967 lines are militarily indefensible and no Israeli government could ever agree to them as the borders of a Palestinian state. Recognition along 1967 lines would therefore place Israel in a state of perpetual conflict with the Palestinians and the international community."
    Or is history going to repeat itself with Jews being "conquered" and ultimately left with no recognizable homeland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's difficult to recognise something that objectively does not exist.

There is nothing "illegal" about the State of Israel.

Which they could do, were so many of them not so committed to blowing the living buggery out of the Israelis.
    Dont cry. Some of us dont love Israel. Can you accept that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I want to be Brazilian now

ReputationRep:
    I love the Israeli idea of peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2nd_slip)
    Dont cry. Some of us dont love Israel. Can you accept that?
    I don't believe in the existence of an Israeli state. You've made a foolish assumption there that I won't correct facts on one tribal side because I support another. I reject reducing this to a bloody football match with either side having to pick a team.

Now **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't believe in the existence of an Israeli state. You've made a foolish assumption there that I won't correct facts on one tribal side because I support another. I reject reducing this to a bloody football match with either side having to pick a team.

Now **** off.
    Dry your eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

Now **** off.
    True dat. Even in a football match, people can wish for a draw. This doesn't seem to be an option in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal or not, Israel is there to stay, unless Ahmadinejad somehow decides to nuke the place in a fit of desperate fury.
    Palestinians can not be simply set aside as well. They need their land back, but now it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Brazil how I heart thou :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Which they could do, were so many of them not so committed to blowing the living buggery out of the Israelis.
    I considered your argument a well thought through one until this statement.

Just think: how many Palestinians actually want to kill the Israelis? Secondly, how many insurgents compared to civilians have been killed by the IAF; this ratio is possibly worse than that of Hamas.

How can one preach to be a moral state when they carry out such brutal attacks on Palestinians, and also condone the quite frankly disgusting treatment of Palestinian families who have lived in the area for decades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    I considered your argument a well thought through one until this statement.

Just think: how many Palestinians actually want to kill the Israelis?
    They elected a militant, Islamist party as their government. They seem to rather like their violent 'resistance' movements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    They elected a militant, Islamist party as their government. They seem to rather like their violent 'resistance' movements.
    How many of them do you think understood what Hamas stood for, or what the implications of electing them were? They are in a pretty desparate situation at the moment and people often turn to desperate measures as shown throughout history.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.