Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabebrit)
    i don't agree. they should understand i'm in a much happier place
    Again, selfish OP is selfish.

ReputationRep:
    Your brand new car will end up being scrapped anyway, so why not smash it up now? :rolleyes:
    OP is an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    Why are you acting like suicide is the only option? I agree that what the person you quoted did was a bit OTT but if someone has suicide thoughts do you really think you will happily grant their wish and go to the shop to buy some drugs? Or will you try to go to the source of their problem so that it can be solved?
    At bottom it is impossible to know how people truly feel. People should have autonomy over their own body, if they really feel that life is not worth living, no one else can really say that it is. If you are really planning to kill yourself and intend to do so, then you should be allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?
    :facepalm:

you are so stupid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlepotatoe)
    People aint afraid of Death itself
    I'm afraid of death. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    At bottom it is impossible to know how people truly feel. People should have autonomy over their own body, if they really feel that life is not worth living, no one else can really say that it is. If you are really planning to kill yourself and intend to do so, then you should be allowed to.
    Strictly speaking they are allowed to... I mean people don't get prosecuted for attempted suicide. There are people who try to help those with suicidal thoughts but at the end of the day if you want to kill yourself nobody can really stop you. I think the main issue is whether or not you consider ending your own pain to be worth causing enormous pain to those you love. To me that would never be the case, I would tolerate pretty much anything to avoid putting my loved ones through that.

ReputationRep:
    Why is suicide wrong? We're all going to die.some of us just want to die earlier than others. You say think of your family and friends who will be devastated if you commit suicide..will they be jumping for joy if I died a natural death?
    In which case, why is anything 'wrong'?

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong because all your family and friends are going to think is "He wasn't happy enough with us."
    If I had a boyfriend who decided to kill himself, I'd be devastated, knowing I couldn't make him happy enough to stay alive, with me. Same with members of the family.
    This is selfish, and stupid.
    People aint afraid of Death itself, they fear the death of their close friends or relatives. Because of the pain it causes and the thought of not seeing them anymore.
    Basically if you kill yourself you're just hurting people you love and who are close to you. If you can't see that it means you're a selfish *******.
    I'm sorry, but I have a very close friend who has thoughts about killing himself and everytime he mentions it I'm doing my best to make him feel guilty because thats the only way I won't lose him.
    So yes, it's selfish. Just face it. And weak. You fight, you don't give up.
    It could also be argued that wanting someone to stay alive simply because you don't want to lose them is equally as selfish.

/justsaying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    Strictly speaking they are allowed to... I mean people don't get prosecuted for attempted suicide. There are people who try to help those with suicidal thoughts but at the end of the day if you want to kill yourself nobody can really stop you. I think the main issue is whether or not you consider ending your own pain to be worth causing enormous pain to those you love. To me that would never be the case, I would tolerate pretty much anything to avoid putting my loved ones through that.
    No, but do not resuccitate things are ignored - if you OD and someone calls the ambulance, however much you want to lie in your bed and die, you will be kept alive (even if keeping you alive will leave you severely disabled).

ReputationRep:
    YOU are the selfish one, I don't normally insult people on here but you really are a myopic *****. You think that suicide is wrong, because it might make you feel bad, and you want your friend to stop being 'weak' and 'fight' the life he sees as unbearable and too bad to live in, just so you can 'have' him as a friend. You effectively want him to suffer away so you can have fun with him.

Your idiocy is reallly disgusting - anyway if someones life was really so painful and nasty that they wanted to die, any caring family would help them in that because they wouldn't want to see the family member suffer and hurt all the time.
    Damn, you really don't get it. I'm dealing with it for one year now, and I know the only way to make my friend listen to me is to show him how selfish it can be. Deal with it first and then you'll judge me if you want. Call me a selfish ***** if you want, I know I've helped him in many ways, and he thanks me for what I'm doing. If you think telling your friend/relative that "you know it's hard for him, and you understand sometimes suicide seems to be the only way out but you should reconsider it" and blabla, then do, I don't care. But I'm being selfish with him to show him I won't forgive him if he ever kills himself, and let me down. It shows him I care way too much about him, and that it would kill me to see him go.

So yes, if I'm selfish on that point I really couldnt care less. The word "*****" might be a bit harsh though, but whatever.

I've almost lost a friend last year because she tried to kill herself with pills and alcohol, I had never explained to her how much it could hurt to know she wanted to end her life, but after she tried I got in a temper and just yelled at her, and I can tell it worked way better than just sitting next to her and say "ow poor thing".

As long as it works for my friends I'm certainly not going to change my point of view on this. Too bad for you if you disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Because we only live once which means life is incredibly precious and so it's a shame when it is wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    It could also be argued that wanting someone to stay alive simply because you don't want to lose them is equally as selfish.

/justsaying.
    erm no, not really, i dont think it's a bad thing to want them to stay alive, whereas wanting to die isnt really good for them, is it?
    so...

ReputationRep:
    YOU are the selfish one, I don't normally insult people on here but you really are a myopic *****. You think that suicide is wrong, because it might make you feel bad, and you want your friend to stop being 'weak' and 'fight' the life he sees as unbearable and too bad to live in, just so you can 'have' him as a friend. You effectively want him to suffer away so you can have fun with him.

Your idiocy is reallly disgusting - anyway if someones life was really so painful and nasty that they wanted to die, any caring family would help them in that because they wouldn't want to see the family member suffer and hurt all the time.

oh and it doesnt have anything to do with "having fun with him". excuse me if seeing someone I love dying is unbearable to me, because I love him and love his company. what a great friend you do.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would feel different if a family member who is 70 dies than a 20 year old because the 70 year old has lived their life and the 20 year old is only just beginning. The 70 year old would have naturally died soon anyway whereas the 20 year old has about 60 years of life before a natural death.

Also, it could be more upsetting if a person commits suicide than gets killed in an accident because you might think that you caused them to want to end their lives whereas a person who is very happy can die by accident. You would still be missed and grieved but there would be more guilt on the family of a person who has committed suicide.

ReputationRep:
    suicide is wrong in most cases but good in a certain way.

firstly, suicide is ok if the person have a disability that effects their life in a huge way such as paralyzed from neck down and doesn't want to burden anyone.

however killing yourself is not good if they're being bullied about their appearance and personalities. its unfair that many would be cruel to those to such a point that they take their own life. They have to right to be themselves regardless of what people think.

ReputationRep:
    It is wrong because all your family and friends are going to think is "He wasn't happy enough with us."
    If I had a boyfriend who decided to kill himself, I'd be devastated, knowing I couldn't make him happy enough to stay alive, with me. Same with members of the family.
    People aint afraid of Death itself, they fear the death of their close friends or relatives. Because of the pain it causes and the thought of not seeing them anymore.
    Basically if you kill yourself you're just hurting people you love and who are close to you. If you can't see that it means you're a selfish *******.
    I'm sorry, but I have a very close friend who has thoughts about killing himself and everytime he mentions it I'm doing my best to make him feel guilty because thats the only way I won't lose him.
    You say it is selfish but what you are doing is completely selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    why you want to check out early of a 5 star hotel?
    You're confusing life with The Savoy. Life is only especially nice in certain situations, with certain people who are all in some kind of implicit agreement about how they get on with each other (or on your own- that's the most reliable encapsulation of what living on a tiny patch of a tiny planet in an infinite universe is all about, albeit engineering situations to bump in to other people in a platonic or sexual way).

The Savoy (I imagine, using a stereotype here) always appears especially nice to its paying customers.

You may mean that life is a 5 star hotel because it is all that we can comfortably inhabit and therefore the very best that the universe has to offer us as whole (more hospitable to us than living on Venus for instance). Even so, some people are clearly living in the honeymoon suite of that hotel and some are residing in the hallway in very different ways (materially, emotionally, intellectually, benevolently, creatively). And the person in the honeymoon suite isn't even necessarily happier!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yet it's apparently not selfish for you to force people to stay alive in **** circumstances living a life they hate just so you don't feel bad?

Talk about hypocrisy. :rolleyes:

Oh, beaten to it by paella. :five:

ReputationRep:
    I think suicide is shocking to a lot of people because it a) goes against the human 'survival' instinct, and b) they can't quite get their head around the specific mindset required to actually kill oneself.
    It's distressing for the family because nobody likes to see somebody that they love in pain, and if a loved one kills themself, they quite clearly weren't happy. Then there's the whole cycle humans go through after the death of someone close to them (the denial, self-blame, anger etc).
    There is also the sense that it's a 'waste'. Often when people commit suicide people will say that it didn't have to happen- that there were medications or treatment options that weren't fully explored, thus the loss of life is both tragic and needless.
    People who say that suicide is 'selfish' (I feel) haven't truly understood the situation of these people. And those who say "I almost killed myself, then I thought of my wife/husband/kids/friends/ *insert significant other*" perhaps do not realise that their situation wasn't the same as another person who did go through with it.
    Humans are immensely complicated creatures and we all react to different situations in different ways. To insult a fellow human being on account of their emotional reaction/ hormone imbalances etc. is, in my opinion, very wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Suicide is a way of showing that you're so weak that you can't handle the pressure of life.

Living to a grand old age and going out comfortably and with dignity is how you win the game.
    I've always thought this tbh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.