Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What kind of school asks you to be attractive to get in Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justrelirandom)
    My friend was offered a place at Charterhouse and when she read the good school guide for Chaterhouse it said it helps if your daughter is attractive/clever and from a well heeled family.
    It feels to me as if the school wants to get girls in for sixth form just to fulfill the boys sexual desires , but i honestly dont think that is right at all.
    My friend and i used to joke that you had to be sexy to get into our school because it was called Sexey's school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    Well their business is global, they are well known, have money and etc. What else do you need to be successful?
    happiness

ReputationRep:
    Pedobear lives near that school I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    St Trinians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Where did I say anything about attractive people being successful? I said they imply success.
    That would be inferring not implying...

ReputationRep:
    A Catholic one?

Ba dum Tishhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wodeford)
    That would be inferring not implying...
    You know, I love it when people try to act smart and still get it wrong.

It's "implying" because the attractive people are suggesting success. If they were "inferring" it, then they would be drawing a conclusion of success.

One implies something to someone, whilst one infers one thing from another.

Get it right next time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently applying for some sixth-forms, and a lot of them require a passport photo...and after going to their open evenings and seeing some of their sixth-formers, I do wonder if they dictate looks, after academic achievement et cetera. Just a thought...but man, the people who attend those particular schools are very attractive.

I've always found that private school kids are generally more attractive than state school ones, but I've never heard of them actually requiring a passport photo to apply. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phillipsherman)
      happiness
      lol, okay i agree with you on that, but don't think that schools care about that sort of things.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hylean)
      What are you on about? I'm sure they're fully aware that attractiveness is not proportional to success. That has nothing to do with the image they want to create in the mind of the public. People think that the more attractive you are, the more successful you are or the better a person you are. If the school wants to create an image of having smart, successful students it can play with that perception by trying to have attractive students.

Just read the Wikipedia article on the Halo Effect which jismith1989 posted earlier. It's nothing to do with facts and all to do with perception and is a rather intelligent marketing tactic, really.

That said, the source isn't affiliated with the school, so shouldn't be taken seriously.
      okey, i get your point, but in my opinion i think that they should focus more about the education bit than the image they are trying to create.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      I've always found that private school kids are generally more attractive than state school ones, but I've never heard of them actually requiring a passport photo to apply. :lolwut:
      They do it for Westminster

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      I had to give them photos for the Sixth Forms that I applied to... I remember giving one to at least one of them. It's probably for their records.

(Original post by justrelirandom)
        They do it for Westminster
        Public schoolboys. :sexface:

Oh wait, I've left school, I can't perv now. :erm:

(Original post by Caustica)
          I had to give them photos for the Sixth Forms that I applied to... I remember giving one to at least one of them. It's probably for their records.
          That would make sense.

ReputationRep:
          I know a few people who go to Charterhouse, some of the girls are absolutely stunning, others not so much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.