(Original post by BritishRose)
    13 actually
    :hand: fair play.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, why did I upgrade? It's a pile of **** :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    It will.

Facebook is dying. Far too many people on it and far too many know each others business.

Look how many people have lost their jobs because of employers looking them up on Facebook.

I'm going to create a university only social network.
    People bring all that upon themselves, by having ridiculously open privacy settings and allowing every Tom, **** and Harry to see what they do. It's not Facebook's fault at all. Google's social network will fall flat on its arse.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook changes never go down well with users but within a week everybody is used to the new layouts and forgets what the previous one looked like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    You do realise those are custom lists? You don't have to have a list of best friends on your profile.

What makes you think their latest attempt at social networking will beat their previous?
    They will.

They will have learnt and look how many bugs & glitches Facebook has with chat and things.

If Google can get that right then people will jump ship.

Also Facebook are overcomplicating the service rather than letting it be what it was originally. They should leave it alone and since they have added so many things on to it then its been ruined. Especially with the games that are causing issues with peoples accounts - it shows a massive security flaw on Facebook's side.

Google have a vast number of services they could integrate to make a powerful social network.

Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Search
    Adwords
    Earth
    Chrome
    Picasa
    Talk (VoIP service)
    Dodgeball - mobile social network
    DMarc Broadcasting-digital radio broadcasting
    Upstartle-Writely, document editor for the web
    YouTube-online video company
    Panoramio-photo site sharing for Google Earth
    Tonic Systems-document conversion technology
    Marratech-video conferencing technology

Can you imagine how useful Google.Me would be if it embedded such services into it.

It would destroy Facebook easily. Facebook would be put in the gutter with Myspace & Bebo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    How do I upgrade to the new profile early

We’re rolling out the new profile to everyone slowly. If you don’t see it yet and would like to upgrade early, click here. You will not be able to switch back to the old design after upgrading

nooooooooo! I should have read the second page of this thread before I clicked 'get the new profile'. curses. I don't like the new layout one bit :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapnHooch)
    No idea, I just saw it on the sample page.
    Found it - go to 'edit profile' then 'relationships' and you can create a new list of friends or add an existing list (eg I have a list of uni friends). But it's not as if it's something you have to do, unlike Bebo or Myspace where you had to order people.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not broken,don't fix it

ReputationRep:
    Oh hell no, it looks like a stalker's dream come true.

ReputationRep:
    They will.

They will have learnt and look how many bugs & glitches Facebook has with chat and things.
    Not knowing what 'and things' are, I can only comment on the chat, which has certainly improved from what it used to be, albeit still not perfect, but still used greatly.

Also Facebook are overcomplicating the service rather than letting it be what it was originally. They should leave it alone and since they have added so many things on to it then its been ruined.
    And then people will complain it's the same old thing, never changed, and will want to try new things. It's a no win situation, if they make changes people will kick up a fuss. If they make no improvements at all, people will get bored.

Especially with the games that are causing issues with peoples accounts - it shows a massive security flaw on Facebook's side.
    No, people allow these games and applications to do what they do (before using any application they have to agree to what it does). If anything, it shows people their own stupidity rather than Facebook's security flaws.
    And I bet games is one of the biggest things that will keep Facebook's users.

Google have a vast number of services they could integrate to make a powerful social network.

Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Search
    Adwords
    Earth
    Chrome
    Picasa
    Talk (VoIP service)

Can you imagine how useful Google.Me would be if it embedded such services into it.
    Most of those services there are just as popular, if not more popular alternative services (and many of those services the average Facebook user doesn't even need or would want to use). Google will be forcing these services onto it's users. And as we all know, Facebook users don't like things forced onto them.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Sugar, I got so excited because it was new and shiney that I upgraded...and now I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    Oh hell no, it looks like a stalker's dream come true.
    You still have all the same privacy settings you had before. You can limit what specific people see. All the same stuff is still there, just presented in a different way. If a 'stalker' had access to certain information before, they would find it no matter how it's presented to them.

Why do Facebook insist on changing the layout in a less than subtle manner every five minutes? Have they ever heard of user interface conventions?

ReputationRep:
    I quite like it, although I don't really understand why they felt the need to change it. Yet again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    They've changed my face.
    Almost certainly an improvement :mmm:

But what did they do to it?

ReputationRep:
    Bestest friends 4eva!!!!!

Wait, wat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Almost certainly an improvement :mmm:

But what did they do to it?
    They've turned me into an immigrant. And a woman. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    How do I upgrade to the new profile early

We’re rolling out the new profile to everyone slowly. If you don’t see it yet and would like to upgrade early, click here. You will not be able to switch back to the old design after upgrading

ah crap. we really oughta learn to read before we click

ReputationRep:
    They will.

If Google can get that right then people will jump ship.

Also Facebook are overcomplicating the service rather than letting it be what it was originally. They should leave it alone and since they have added so many things on to it then its been ruined. Especially with the games that are causing issues with peoples accounts - it shows a massive security flaw on Facebook's side.

Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Search
    Adwords
    Earth
    Chrome
    Picasa
    Talk (VoIP service)

It would destroy Facebook easily. Facebook would be put in the gutter with Myspace & Bebo.
    When is the Google Social Network being released?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry.

GoogleMe will be out soon and everyone will use that for a number of reasons.

1. Its going to have gmail integrated
    2. Its going to have google maps integrated
    3. its possibly going to have integration from Twitter/Facebook/eBay/Last.fm and other services. Basically the integration with Facebook will let you transfer friends and then shut down your Facebook account.
    4. It has the search engine built in
    5. Google Chrome is beast just as anything else Google create, except for Buzz.
    I believe it may even have the bbc iplayer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.