Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hobbit Casting Agent Fired After Discrimination Allegations (British Pakistani) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomaliMan)
    You lot shouldn't be hypocrites though, (I'm sure most of you are not) and support casting of white people in non-white roles like Prince of Persia.
    The main reason I didn't go to see Prince of Persia was that the lead was not ethnic Persian/Iranian. Completely ruined the film for me before I even saw it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetEuropa)
    Then we have Merlin on BBC one. Merlin is English mythology set in the early dark ages, so can someone tell me whyy there wer black soldiers and Knights in the production ?
    Actually it's Welsh, and in its earliest incarnation very much anti-English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Christ)
    What a complete knob.

Firstly, the fact that she made a public Facebook group as a private joke is just plain moronic. I'm guessing she started one of those petition things where you get as many people to join as possible.
    Yes, she thought she had to create a private facebook group in case her Hobbit story became a worldwide phenomenon.

You could see how serious her petition was by the title of her facebook group: Hire hobbits of all colours! Say no to hobbit racism!”

Clearly,this was an attempt to create a serious petition rather than just a dumb joke.

Secondly, of course she wanted the story to be published. Who speaks to a journalist about a story like this and expects them not to publish it?
    Yes, she wanted the story to be published. That is why she called a newspaper or complained to the relavent authorities.

Hold on.,.... No she didn't.

The journalist called her.

Thirdly, did they really have to make it specifically clear that they wanted white actors? It's common sense ffs

She's a liar :dontknow: and is trying to stop herself from looking like an idiot. And it's not working
    and yet she has said she supports the right of Film studios to discriminate based upon appearance/race.

Still you continue to talk about the issue as if she is saying the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    It's hardly a cast iron source is it.

I doubt this is true because you're allowed to discriminate for physical appearance in casting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Actually it's Welsh, and in its earliest incarnation very much anti-English.
    Was it supposed to have taken place in what is now Wales though? I thought Arthur was supposed to have been a Briton during the time of the Anglo-Saxon invasions. So it could still have been set in what is now England.

ReputationRep:
    Then we have Merlin on BBC one. Merlin is English mythology set in the early dark ages, so can someone tell me whyy there wer black soldiers and Knights in the production ?
    If Merlin was meant to be historically accurate then you would have a point, but the producers have always maintained that since the show is based on legend, in actual fact a complete reworking of a legend, they don't feel obliged to be 100% historically accurate.

Surely if you are concerned about historical accuracy then the presence of a dragon and magic would be more worrying :grin:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)
    If Merlin was meant to be historically accurate then you would have a point, but the producers have always maintained that since the show is based on legend, in actual fact a complete reworking of a legend, they don't feel obliged to be 100% historically accurate.

Surely if you are concerned about historical accuracy then the presence of a dragon and magic would be more worrying :grin:.
    You have missed the point completely.

ReputationRep:
    I love how the casting company have blatantly scape-goated the employee by firing them when in reality, that employee was probably directly told to find a light-skinned actor/actress.

ReputationRep:
    You have missed the point completely.
    In what way? At least let me defend myself :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Black hobbits added to LOTR ftw. Freddie Ogbonna instead of Frodo. Marion instead of Merry

ReputationRep:
    **** off with the race card. You would never see a white dude in an Indian epic, why the race card all the ****ing time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    **** off with the race card. You would never see a white dude in an Indian epic, why the race card all the ****ing time?
    Lol....... No, not really.

If I remember correctly, Ben Kingsley played Mahatma Gandhi in Attenborough's Gandhi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)

If I remember correctly, Ben Kingsley played Mahatma Gandhi in Attenborough's Gandhi.
    He also happens to be half-Indian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I love how the casting company have blatantly scape-goated the employee by firing them when in reality, that employee was probably directly told to find a light-skinned actor/actress.
    Its the same in politics/war, a commander orders a soldier to torture someone, if he says no he'll get arrested and if he does do it, and people find out he'll be the one they toast.

ReputationRep:

Ben Kingsely is half Indian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomaliMan)
    True, but sometimes its nearly impossible, look at Black Hawk Down, its supposed to be in SOmalia, but all the extras are Nigerians (or other West Africans).
    The somalians declined the roles of extras in a war torn city, rather wanting to be extras in some movie about PIRATES near the caribbean.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...Disch:1&itbs=1

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1280&bih=669

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...Disch:1&itbs=1

I'm surprised as to how many race card images there are out there

ReputationRep:

He is half Indian, that may explain that.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    He is half Indian, that may explain that.
    I am not sure how being half Indian makes his skin become darker.

Your complaint was based upon colour not ethnicity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.