Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Next Gen Gaming: PS4 Vs Xbox 720 (with pics and poll) Watch

• View Poll Results: I prefer the design of the...
    PS4
    39.53%
    Xbox 720
    60.47%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    These images are design concepts for the next generation Sony and Microsoft gaming machines.

So which do you prefer?
    You suck. Both of them suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    -Sony will find a way to prevent games from being sold second-hand, like requiring online registration and locking each game to a particular PS3.
    Not going to happen IMO.
    They wanted to do it when the PS3 was launched, but backtracked pretty quickly from it.

ReputationRep:
    http://walyou.com/wp-content/uploads...ole-design.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wm123)
    You can guarantee "hard" copies will disappear.
    I'm not so sure. Games now are 10GB+, games for the next generation will be much larger. The next consoles will probably come in around 2-3 years time. I don't think the infrastructure will be good enough to support all those people downloading massive games in that time. I think I read an interview with someone from one of the console companies that said more or less the same thing.

Hopefully the hardware in the new consoles will just be more of the same as the current generation (i.e. faster cores and more of them), rather than a totally new architecture.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people fooling these pictures?

ReputationRep:
    PS4 = Glorified Bathroom Scales

ReputationRep:
    These images are design concepts for the next generation Sony and Microsoft gaming machines.

So which do you prefer?
    DERP.

Neither console has been confirmed and no images have been released..........:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Who made these? And what idiot thinks either will ever release such a retarded looking console. Sony are reusing concepts from the PS3 probably. They said ti in about 07 when people asked to see other concepts that PS3 might have been.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Haha, both are horrendous, and neither would fit in line with the current colour scheme I am using in my room.

ReputationRep:

So which do you prefer?
    lool cant believe u actually spent the time making these.... the xbox is a representation of what xbox in general is.... CRAP... and the ps3 one looks almost like a tredmill with no bars....

and if xbox really make something called 720... then they are stupid

ReputationRep:
    The Xbox 720 is supposed to have a lava lamp type feature to cool it down - must be that green part of it that lights up.

The 720 destroys the PS4 based on these two designs but what faults will the 720 have, Alien light of Death :eek: where ET climbs out and destroys the human race. It definitely looks like something from Alien Vs Predator.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the next gen consoles should be solely based on downloading games to the hard drive as well.

It would be much better if Game.co.uk just changed to a download service where you can download games as soon as they are released straight to the hard drive to play and pay on your account.

Discs get scratched way too easily and should be phased out of gaming. Then when you go to Game.co.uk you get a download code to verify the game and it lets you play it. Then you can use that code over a mates house to verify a copy. It may also cut costs as game producers wouldn't have the added costs of the discs and case production.

I'd much rather a console with 1tb hard drive to download games onto than having to go to the shop to buy a disc that has the possibility of getting knackered - especially considering Xbox 360's chew your disc up if it tips at an angle slightly - never happened to me but I know people it has happened too.

Even if the actual console hard drive was low in capacity they should give you the option to plug in a 1tb+ hard drive to store games on. the maximum of 16gb I think you can use as extra on 360 is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    x
    I can't see that happening at least until a super fast truely unlimited download broadband line came in. If a dual layer Bluray disc is 50GB and is full, on a 50meg speed connection which in the UK is probably fairly rare, it would take 2 days non stop to download the game, people won't accept that. Thats assuming speed's aren't throttled at peak times too. And what if you hard disc is corrupt - you lose your games as well as the save data, or you want to take agame to a friends house?

ReputationRep:
    They both look alien-ish. Due to the fact the xbox looks like an aliens egg, i'm gonna have to go with ps4. Can't imagine the xbox being good for like, putting somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I can't see that happening at least until a super fast truely unlimited download broadband line came in. If a dual layer Bluray disc is 50GB and is full, on a 50meg speed connection which in the UK is probably fairly rare, it would take 2 days non stop to download the game, people won't accept that. Thats assuming speed's aren't throttled at peak times too. And what if you hard disc is corrupt - you lose your games as well as the save data, or you want to take agame to a friends house?
    xbox usb game sticks

So you could have a thumbdrive with about 20 purchased games on to take around a mates rather than carrying dozens of cases. Much easier.

Also there are already games you can download without a need for a disk so its not impossible.

I understand some games will be too big but they should just sell those as special limited edition disc versions that can be copied to a thumbdrive using a pc.

Also most of the 50gb on the bluray discs doesn't get used which is why so many are complaining that games companies are not creating using all the required space to push games to the next level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    xbox usb game sticks

So you could have a thumbdrive with about 20 purchased games on to take around a mates rather than carrying dozens of cases. Much easier.

Also there are already games you can download without a need for a disk so its not impossible.

I understand some games will be too big but they should just sell those as special limited edition disc versions that can be copied to a thumbdrive using a pc.

Also most of the 50gb on the bluray discs doesn't get used which is why so many are complaining that games companies are not creating using all the required space to push games to the next level.
    Those sticks could well make it easier to copy/steal gamesthan it currently is. I doubt the console developers will want to develop consoles to run games from discs, hard discs and usb drives, it would get so expensive.

Games currently aren't using that space, in time they will, which is when the downloading idea falls flat from the UK's sub par broadband service, no doubt there are other countries too with slower broadband services, should they have to lose out because they can't afford to upgrade the network?

ReputationRep:

More likely

ReputationRep:
    i dont really care about the design, its all about the gaming experience which is software based not hardware. in terms of that I know MS are gonna do some bs, so ps4 has a chance to really shine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Why are people fooling these pictures?
    This. Its pretty obvious that those images were made by someone with some decent design software and too much time on their hands. Fake images of next gen consoles have been made constantly for the past couple of years now. There is no guarantee the next gen Xbox will even be called "720"

ReputationRep:
    Both are ugly, the pictures are just concepts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.