Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Morrissey Slams David Cameron For 'Liking The Smiths' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Upping his street cred even more is DC, last time it was Florence and the machine, this time the Smiths, whatever next?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, come off it. Marr obviously said that in a tongue-in-cheek way. Read it without the name Johnny Marr attached to it, maybe imagine it was Charlie Brooker who said "David Cameron, stop saying that you like The Smiths, no you don't. I forbid you to like it" and it's a totally different story. And when it comes to Morrissey, well...he never changes, does he...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    You do realise that there is at least one typographical/grammatical error in your signature, don't you?
    I don't have a problem with people typing badly by mistake, not knowing the spelling or punctuation, or whatever, it just annoys me when people seem to deliberately type badly or type in chav. It's really not that hard to try to type properly. I'm not one of those anal grammar nazi people who correct people on every single mistake they make, but it just annoys me when people don't even try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Upping his street cred even more is DC, last time it was Florence and the machine, this time the Smiths, whatever next?
    Does professing to like the Smiths really do anything positive to ones street cred?

I mean lets face it, the Smiths produced fairly geeky pop music. DC was at university in the eighties so it is quite likely that he was a genuine fan. I don't think it is on the same lines as Gordon Brown saying that he liked the Artic Monkeys and then failing to know even one of their songs or albums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Didn't have an opinion of this guy before, now i think he's a total nobhead.
    Thats a bit harsh, judging people by their tastes in music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    So what you said about these terms being contradictory and also the fact that you brought them up even though they are devoid of any meaning says WHAT about your point? Oh yeh, that you dont have one.

Your other points are a waste of text.

End of story now.
    I think it speaks volumes about you that you cut most of my post out.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks you're posting codswollop of the first order.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron says he likes the Smiths, Morrissey reacts angrily and slams him... who actually cares apart from David Cameron and Morrisey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    I think it speaks volumes about you that you cut most of my post out.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks you're posting codswollop of the first order.
    Im sorry, did you want me to reply to the ventriloquist retort?
    Im really not interested anymore, I know your first post was pointless.

ReputationRep:
    He is quite clearly a pretentious prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    David Cameron revealed that he liked the Smiths years ago. Indeed, it's rather more unlikely that anyone here would like the Smiths - they were the music of the PM's generation, not ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    David Cameron revealed that he liked the Smiths years ago. Indeed, it's rather more unlikely that anyone here would like the Smiths - they were the music of the PM's generation, not ours.
    They're one of my favourite bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    They're one of my favourites too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Morrissey is a classic obstreperous, pretentions, cocky hippy. I can't take him seriously at all; The Smiths were amazing but his solo career is a giant pile of gash.
    Indeed, he is a pretentious ****, but why he slams him for liking his own band I don't understand. Such a tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Im sorry, did you want me to reply to the ventriloquist retort?
    Im really not interested anymore, I know your first post was pointless.

Let's face it, the whole thread was hardly worth replying to now, was it?

Yet we both did.

And if my first post was pointless, why did you then reply to it? Some of my posts are me sounding off, or posting my opinion. It doesn't bother me if no-one responds to them, but honestly it has made my day that you have, and have now spent the next 4 posts in a 'debate' with me.

Now, 5 replies on, I suspect you still won't leave it alone.

Presumably on the basis that the last to post wins the argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)

Now, 5 replies on, I suspect you still won't leave it alone.

Presumably on the basis that the last to post wins the argument
    Mmmmm.... probably.

(Original post by LawBore)
    This one, for Morrissey (as usual) is more foot in mouth than hand in glove.

ReputationRep:
    I adore The Smiths and I think Morrissey is one of the most influentical lyricists i have ever heard. Yet Morrissey is the biggest pile of ****e since the start of time! His new album is purely sickening. My Dad sawhim in a Pub and he used his nephew to tell people not to talk to him! You have got to love someone who sticks his two finger up to social convention and "drop their trousers to the world".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.