Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    or 'position one or position two'.
    Surely you're just setting yourself up for all sorts of innuendos with that one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Surely you're just setting yourself up for all sorts of innuendos with that one?
    Hopefully a six year old doesn't know innuendos...

I use 'lens one or lens two' on most people, and 'position one or position two' on kids that don't already wear glasses (or anyone below about six) because asking young relatives and friends' relatives has shown me that, below about the age of ten, kids don't understand lenses unless they wear glasses themselves, and even then those below six still didn't. Kids also tend to be more nervous during medical-related tests, so need more explanation.

So whilst I would tell an older kid or an adult, "I'm going to be putting two lenses in front of your eye one after the other, and would like you to tell me if lens one or lens two makes the two circles rounder and clearer," I would phrase it to a child as, "I'm going to be putting something in front of your eye and moving it around, and that will change how you see things for a short while; you just need to let me know if you see the circles better when it's in position one or position two."

ReputationRep:
    University of Sheffield do it for sure - you get given a cadaver over the 3/4 years i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    Hull York Medical School definitely, my flatmate told us in graphic detail about how he was cutting up someone's ribcage and lungs while we were trying to eat dinner...
    Nice. I think at HYMS it's an SSC, so it isn't compulsory - it just can be done if the student wants to.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester does AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicz)
    I know Kings and Imperial do it.
    The two im really interested in are
    Barts and Newcastle.

By dissection, i mean cutting up dead people not animals or something.

Thanks in advance!
    Leicester does

ReputationRep:
    Barts and Newcastle.

Thanks in advance!
    We dissect live people.

Messy but of far more clinical relevance.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester does with special time assigned in the course for it, during 1st and 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    Any source of the Newcastle one?
    I thought only a few med schools do dissection!

I want to cut people in med school
    well i went on the durham website and it says they are joined up with newcastle med school so i assume newcastle does it too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theiantomywanda)
    well i went on the durham website and it says they are joined up with newcastle med school so i assume newcastle does it too.
    The pre-clinical years at Durham and Newcastle are completely separate. Newcastle make a big deal about using prosection and how dissection is absolutely terrible and will turn you into a raving psychopath blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    Keele do.
    We went into the Med labs to do some brain dissection and the room was full of cadavers on trollies.

ReputationRep:
    ofc SGUL do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J DOT A)
    ofc SGUL do.
    I went to a neuroanatomy tutorial at sgul. Never seen so many cadavers in my life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how medics can take cutting up PEOPLE so casually, does no-one ever throw up at the sight of it?
    Could you guys opt out of it if you wanted to?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    I don't get how medics can take cutting up PEOPLE so casually, does no-one ever throw up at the sight of it?
    I bet people do throw up. As for 'people', from the handful of times I've seen cadavers they look absolutely nothing like a 'person'.

I doubt you can opt out, no, as you would be missing out on a huge chunk of the course. Newcastle's lectures, for example (they don't use dissection, but just for arguments sake) are not mandatory, but seminars and anatomy sessions are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    The pre-clinical years at Durham and Newcastle are completely separate. Newcastle make a big deal about using prosection and how dissection is absolutely terrible and will turn you into a raving psychopath blah blah.
    oh ok thanks. well i guess i'm a raving psychopath then
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theiantomywanda)
    oh ok thanks. well i guess i'm a raving psychopath then
    Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Throw up? No.

The formalin makes your eyes water like a ***** though.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield do it for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Barts and Newcastle.

Thanks in advance!
    Dundee does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.