Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you encounter words you cannot pronounce? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ^ I'd say fay-go-cytes as well. I very rarely manage to pronounce the word anemone correctly.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say anemone, takes me a few attempts. Also can't pronounce 'frothy' correctly, which really sucks when a customer asks the difference between a cappuccino or latte. I did discover (whilst drunk, how else?) that I can say it if I start the sentence with 'a frog in a frock was rather frothy' but that doesn't really fit into everyday conversation... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help me with the pronounciation of beneficence, non-maleficence and anesthetist please?

ReputationRep:
    I find it quite a lot, less so now though. I think its because I read so much when I was younger I came across a lot of words and knew what they meant but had never heard anyone say them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfc1993DP)
    can anyone help me with the pronounciation of beneficence, non-maleficence and anesthetist please?
    An-ee-that-ist.

ReputationRep:
    Sound it out, usually

Depends what language it is in

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tenhornedbeast)
      http://dictionary.cambridge.org/ - I use this.
      I don't trust Cambridge... Not after I saw a video of a student telling Borat that they don't allow prostitutes on campus.

I pronounce Deadmau5 as either Dead-mow-five or Dead-mouse, depending on the people around me.

Meme has always been 'meem'.

Ill just ask another person

ReputationRep:
        I didn't know how to pronounce 'renege' until I saw it on The Apprentice last night.

(Original post by blu tack)
          I didn't know how to pronounce 'renege' until I saw it on The Apprentice last night.
          How do you pronounce it? Is it "ren-edge" I think its like this though "ren-egg"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.