Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Messy life: I got bad A Levels and my parents are still pushing me into uni - help! Watch

(Original post by yituool)
    Not when it costs several thousand pounds a year to find out
    That is what I am worried about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Hush your gums.
    shut the **** up. who do you think you are speaking to me like that. fu*king d*ickhead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    shut the **** up. who do you think you are speaking to me like that. fu*king d*ickhead
    :lol: You amuse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm very sorry this is anonymous, but I am very embarrassed about my situation, especially my grades, which I know some people would make much fun of. Also, this is very life-related anyway. So I'd rather not be identified. But here goes...

I did my GCSEs two years ago, in which I got mainly Bs. But it was a disappointment, as I had been expected some more As, but never mind since at least they were OK and I got into sixth form.

Then I started sixth form. I think I was suffering a bit from some sort of depression, but I tried to truck on as I really wanted to do well and get into uni in two years time. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan at all, and I only ended up with Ds and Es, and that is with trying quite hard . I know I could have gone back to sixth form to retake, but I chose not to, because it didn't feel right to keep on trying, and also I just hated that school for various reasons and needed to stop going there. I feel stupid for not leaving there earlier, but never mind, since what's done is done. I just left then as I now felt like I needed a bit of a break after all that to think things over.

Lately, I've been researching careers and also looking for jobs. I'm still slightly considering uni, but I'm not sure if I should. Since I did so bad at A Levels, could I really cope with uni? Plus, my parents are pushing me to apply as soon as possible for an Access Course or try for a uni overseas that only requires GCSEs, not A Levels. These things cost so much money though, and I'd hate to try them only to fail, like I did at A Level, which was free as well! I really don't know what to do, and all this is really stressing me out .

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? Advice please.
    You got Ds and Es at A-Levels? lolol, and you want to go to university with that kind of grade? What university will take you now?

Oh wait, how about London Metropolitan? The worst university in all of the UK..

If I were you, I'd go start that hairdressing course at your local college now..

ReputationRep:
    If you don't think uni is for you maybe you could do something more vocational, an apprenticeship, for example. Uni isn't the be all and end all of everything, especially nowadays, what with the increased fees etc.

(Original post by The-Real-One)
    You got Ds and Es at A-Levels? lolol, and you want to go to university with that kind of grade? What university will take you now?

Oh wait, how about London Metropolitan? The worst university in all of the UK..

If I were you, I'd go start that hairdressing course at your local college now..
    You serious? Damn

ReputationRep:
    You serious? Damn
    Seems like that response was sarcastic, if not its just ill informed.

I would suggest that since you are still undecided you consider taking some time to think about it, and looking into various subjects which interest or you think could potentially interest you. Don't consider jobs at this point, too much emphasis is placed on them. Once you've thought about it, do some research into courses and then take whichever course you want to get you there. Whether that's BTEC, A-levels or whatever. It may take a little while to decide, but just do whatever you think you will enjoy. If not, then consider options outside HE but if you do want to study for a degree then do it for the right reasons, ie. not for employment alone.

Oh and with your a-levels, my best lecturer got a D and 2 EE's in his so I wouldn't worry. They aren't a measure of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I think you're actually stupid. Not because of your grades, but because of your lack of knowledge when it comes to Uni.

Good luck.
    Wow, that's just mean. He already feels like ****. Do you have to make him feel like **** some more?

(Original post by chap54)
    Seems like that response was sarcastic, if not its just ill informed.

I would suggest that since you are still undecided you consider taking some time to think about it, and looking into various subjects which interest or you think could potentially interest you. Don't consider jobs at this point, too much emphasis is placed on them. Once you've thought about it, do some research into courses and then take whichever course you want to get you there. Whether that's BTEC, A-levels or whatever. It may take a little while to decide, but just do whatever you think you will enjoy. If not, then consider options outside HE but if you do want to study for a degree then do it for the right reasons, ie. not for employment alone.

Oh and with your a-levels, my best lecturer got a D and 2 EE's in his so I wouldn't worry. They aren't a measure of intelligence.
    Wow, really? How did he become a lecturer after that? Did he retake his A Levels, or just go down a completely different road altogether?

ReputationRep:
    I'm very sorry this is anonymous, but I am very embarrassed about my situation, especially my grades, which I know some people would make much fun of. Also, this is very life-related anyway. So I'd rather not be identified. But here goes...

I did my GCSEs two years ago, in which I got mainly Bs. But it was a disappointment, as I had been expected some more As, but never mind since at least they were OK and I got into sixth form.

Then I started sixth form. I think I was suffering a bit from some sort of depression, but I tried to truck on as I really wanted to do well and get into uni in two years time. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan at all, and I only ended up with Ds and Es, and that is with trying quite hard . I know I could have gone back to sixth form to retake, but I chose not to, because it didn't feel right to keep on trying, and also I just hated that school for various reasons and needed to stop going there. I feel stupid for not leaving there earlier, but never mind, since what's done is done. I just left then as I now felt like I needed a bit of a break after all that to think things over.

Lately, I've been researching careers and also looking for jobs. I'm still slightly considering uni, but I'm not sure if I should. Since I did so bad at A Levels, could I really cope with uni? Plus, my parents are pushing me to apply as soon as possible for an Access Course or try for a uni overseas that only requires GCSEs, not A Levels. These things cost so much money though, and I'd hate to try them only to fail, like I did at A Level, which was free as well! I really don't know what to do, and all this is really stressing me out .

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? Advice please.
    well i've been through severe depression and i know it really really sucks and it's really really hard to succeed academically whilst under the burden of depression. One thing that depression taught me, and it's a more fundamental lesson than anything you can learn from a school or textbook is that: life is more important than any qualification. I think you should just do what you want to do. If you feel like going to uni, go for it, if you want a job, do that. As long as you are happy, that is the important thing. There is no point wasting a short life doing something you don't like doing.

If you want to chat, feel free to pm me.

Thank you everyone

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.