Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you proud to be a virgin? Watch

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Virginity isn't something to be proud or ashamed of. It's just a part of you. I'm a virgin and i'm happy and comfortable, yes - but not particularly proud or ashamed.

You are right about pressure. People should feel how you do, but unfortunately a lot do not and think that this is reason enough to lose it. It's all down to the person some people don't value virginity or sex enough to care and others do. Just so long as you are happy, healthy and content with your sexuality.

Sorry for the pointless ramble.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just a bit embarrassed really because I'm a complete virgin - never kissed anyone or anything. Almost all of my friends are virgins but it's not as...uncool with them as it is with me because if they wanted to lose their virginities, they could because guys fancy them and they are pretty. It's different with me. If I talk about it I just sound like a loser :p:

ReputationRep:
    I lost my virginity to Katy Perry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-jc123)
    Personally, I am happy to be a virgin as it is what being a Christian is about But I do not condemn anyone else of a contrary faith for it.
    Christianity is not about being a virgin. That would make it a stupid thing and would mean that people who werent virgins could not become christians. Christianity is about God, and trusting in him to forgive us for our sins and then serving him for the rest of eternity etc. Remaining a virgin until marriage is only part of following God's commands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asiko)
    Sex is overrated
    Um.. if you're a virgin, how would you know?

I'm not proud. I'm not ashamed either. I'm just unbothered. I really should want to lose it - others seem so keen to lose theirs. I'm so messed up. My virginity is the least of my problems! I'm a nutter. according to society it should be the most important thing on my mind, but sex isn't on my radar and I'm 21

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drumzilla)
    Um.. if you're a virgin, how would you know?
    Yeah I said that too, but he didn't respond.

ReputationRep:
    I don't approve of all of this pride thing. It's not just for the reason that some people are quite happy to not be virgins and that is the right thing for them, but also that even if you did perhaps have sex too early and you regret it a little - you shouldn't regret it too much and feel ashamed next to some righteous virgin! You should just move on with your life and try to make the right decisions next time.

Some people have sex too early maybe but it's not like it makes them a bad seed for life is it? Ultimately what matters is how you are treating yourself and others right now, not some mistake you regret from the past. Some people have sex casually and they regret, some might have casual sex and not regret it - but I don't think it's anyone else's business feeling superior.

OP perhaps you meant contentment rather than pride?

The importance of having had sex at least once or not is massively overrated anyway in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    Im 19 and proud to be a virgin
    Me Toooo :w00t::w00t:

I'm a 20 year old male virgin, and definitely not proud of it. The worst thing is the reality that I am unlikely to take anyone else's virginity. Ever. Which is a bit of a crap thought. The girl who I lose my virginity to will have had sex with at least one other guy before, making me feel inferior, and taking away from me what I consider to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, which - by most people - is taken between the ages of 16 and 19. This didn't happen to me because I've only had one girlfriend when I was 16, with whom I only got as far as oral. Of course, if I wanted, I could go for down the 'devout christian girl' route, but that would mean me losing my virginity at 35 which wouldn't be ideal either.

Reality is, being a virgin at the age of 20 puts me in a lose-lose situation. Not only do I feel inferior to most of my friends, I know that whatever the outcome, it ends badly for me. I either lose my virginity to a girl who has 'given herself away' to another guy, or I wait for another 20 years to lose it. So no, I am certainly not proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a 20 year old male virgin, and definitely not proud of it. The worst thing is the reality that I am unlikely to take anyone else's virginity. Ever. Which is a bit of a crap thought. The girl who I lose my virginity to will have had sex with at least one other guy before, making me feel inferior, and taking away from me what I consider to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, which - by most people - is taken between the ages of 16 and 19. This didn't happen to me because I've only had one girlfriend when I was 16, with whom I only got as far as oral. Of course, if I wanted, I could go for down the 'devout christian girl' route, but that would mean me losing my virginity at 35 which wouldn't be ideal either.

Reality is, being a virgin at the age of 20 puts me in a lose-lose situation. Not only do I feel inferior to most of my friends, I know that whatever the outcome, it ends badly for me. I either lose my virginity to a girl who has 'given herself away' to another guy, or I wait for another 20 years to lose it. So no, I am certainly not proud of it.
    I couldnt disagree more. There are tons of girls that are 19+ and still virgins.

(Original post by katyness)
    I couldnt disagree more. There are tons of girls that are 19+ and still virgins.
    Well it's the way it seems to me at the moment. The only virgins I know are devout christians, whose attitude to life I fundamentally disagree with. I'm a christian in belief; I go to church etc etc... but I don't spread the word because I know that it pisses atheists off something ridiculous. And I firmly believe in sex before marriage, because we now have contraception; and having children before marriage is no longer frowned upon by society anyway. This is something upon which every. single. christian. girl disagrees with me. So I do not want a christian girlfriend because I don't want to be the guy who loses his virginity 20 years later than all his friends.

Yet every girl I've been attracted to since I split with my ex 4 years ago has not been a virgin. And it just feels crap that I'm still going to be one for the foreseeable future. It's not going to change tomorrow. Nor the day afterwards. Nor the day after that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well it's the way it seems to me at the moment. The only virgins I know are devout christians, whose attitude to life I fundamentally disagree with. I'm a christian in belief; I go to church etc etc... but I don't spread the word because I know that it pisses atheists off something ridiculous. And I firmly believe in sex before marriage, because we now have contraception; and having children before marriage is no longer frowned upon by society anyway. This is something upon which every. single. christian. girl disagrees with me. So I do not want a christian girlfriend because I don't want to be the guy who loses his virginity 20 years later than all his friends.

Yet every girl I've been attracted to since I split with my ex 4 years ago has not been a virgin. And it just feels crap that I'm still going to be one for the foreseeable future. It's not going to change tomorrow. Nor the day afterwards. Nor the day after that...
    At last, I have found a christian person that agrees with me!!!! Hallelujah!!!!
    Sorry, I got a bit excited there. All my christian friends do not agree with my way of seeing things but I guess we're just two rare people!

Anyway, I wish you good luck in your adventures. I hope you find the girl of your dreams! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidelity_blue)
    Yeah I said that too, but he didn't respond.
    sorry for trying to steal your thunder

ReputationRep:
    Not proud or ashamed, just bored.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i dont get being proud about it (makes it sound a little like the rest of us are dirty), fair enough happy esp for religious reasons (i have a lot of respect for that even tho im not religious myself anymore), but man you guys dont know what youre missing

ReputationRep:
    Keep telling yourselves you're 'proud' to be virgins as if it's a good thing.

It's not a bad thing, either. I only recently lost my virginity. And yes, it was to a girl I genuinely love, and it was amazing. Before having it, I didn't mind my virginity, I would even speak openly about it. Since having it though, I realised one thing:

Not being a virgin > being a virgin.

Don't look down at people just because they had sex before you did and supposedly it was due to 'peer pressure'.

It's an act that feels good. Think nothing more of it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the word I'm looking for is 'apathetic'.

ReputationRep:
    (1.)If you "don't care", why are you posting a thread to make sure everyone knows about it?
    (2.)Yeah, you say it's cool if she isn't ready. But what if she is? Don't assume that because she's a female she has no sex drive. What if SHE wants it?
    I just get tired of circle-jerking Church Group kids telling each other how great they all are. I lost my virginity to rape a long time ago, and it really made me think. I know the no-sex-before-marriage brigade would say "oh well that's not your fault", but then what is that supposed to mean? That if I'd had a pleasant experience I'd be a bad person? That the only acceptable form of sex to be involved in is an attack, or that being attacked is somehow superior to being in a healthy relationship?
    Not having sex is NOT "what being a Christian is all about", **** like that is why no-one wants to be a Christian anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian myself, but Christian Groups are usually annoying as **** because they always seem to think they're better than everyone else. I don't even believe there is adequate scriptural basis for not having sex before marriage. Moral logic when there were no condoms, sure. But not anymore, I frequently have sex before marriage, personally.

ReputationRep:
    I was a virgin until I was 19. I wasn't proud of it or ashamed of it; it was just the way it was. I never saw the point of making a big deal out of virginity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.