Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had to reply to this one.........

I personally don't like them, and here's my reasoning why.

I think it's unfair in a group situation whereby, one member (me) is more hard working, organised and more academic than the rest of the group and so the mark that is awarded, has to be shared equally.

In my marketing essay of 3000 words, I did 70% of it myself. Why? Because my previous marks in essays i've done are in the late 70's/early 80's and the other group members only got in their late 50's, so I wanted to make damn sure that we got a first, so I took responsibility to do the bulk of the research, the essay structure and direction and most of the content. It did place alot of pressure on me, but I knew it was going to be of high quality if I did most of it myself. One of the group members was a guy aged about 40, had a massive chip on his shoulder and subsequently was a absolute pain in the arse when it came to progression, i.e. he'd criticise or disagree with alot of the stuff I wrote, he was over powering and very offensive. I couldn't physically be in his presence he was that bad. Luckily, one lad in the group (who was also a friend of mine anyway), always supported me in what I was producing - he trusted me because I had the evidence to show I had done very well in other work. Then the other group member was this Danish girl and it did cause massive communication problems - verbally and academically.

My 2nd group essay was Organisations and Management - I wrote 97% of it also. I had the same [email protected] of a guy as the marketing one, and the same lad (my friend). The 4th member was so laid back he would have fallen over - he came to one meeting out of 15 of them and he just wasn't committed. He trusted also what i was producing, and was more than happy to sign the cover sheet when handing he work in without actually seeing the work!!!

It was, as mentioned, alot of pressure on me - I wrote about 7,000 words in under 7 weeks (including my HR individual essay),but i dont regret it. I know the marks will be shared equally, but im confident we'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh, working with international students is a MASSIVE problem. We have a large chinese network in our uni, and half of them can't speak fluent english - its ****ing ridiculous!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScouseEmma28)
    oh yeh, working with international students is a MASSIVE problem. We have a large chinese network in our uni, and half of them can't speak fluent english - its ****ing ridiculous!!!
    Same problem.

It shocks me that a lot of them here have been in UK boarding schools for at least 4 years but struggle to read/write/speak English and have 100% foreign friends on their facebook...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely despise group work. I do Maths, and I'm in my second year. This year, I've had a project to do with Kirkman's Problem, and all in all, it was actually pretty decent - except for the international student in my group. The presentation is today, and we've had to push back our practice to this morning (an hour before the actual presentation) because the dosser hasn't turned up to university at all in the past week.

It's ridiculous. Everyone else in my course is annoyed at the international students too, because it seems like none of them (the ones from Shanghai/China/far west, anyway) get on with their work.

I'm also jealous of them because all they do is drive around in BMW's, but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    They say those who just 'ride out' the entire project by doing nothing and letting others in the group take on more workload are the worst. But for me it's the lack of communication that stops you, or others, working because you need an update of other group members; your work is dependant on their progress. It's important to have a strict schedule (to take into consideration delays and problems like the above), and when this schedule is itself ignored - I lose it. What's annoying are assignments that can easily be done by a single person in a week, but would take several weeks when you are told to do it in a group. This is more frustrating and more challenging than the assignment itself. And I haven't seen any difference to the way people approach these group works from secondary school, to college to University.
    This, totally. I suppose it's to get you used to working in a group but I hate group work! Especially when you don't know the people in the group. I started part time for a year and didn't know anyone last year, so I had trouble getting to know the people and contact them. Thank god that's over!

ReputationRep:
    Generally I completely hate it. You almost always get a *****y annoying person who moans a lot but doesn't do anything useful. I also find it hard to schedule group work because, even if you've got an individual part to work on, you still have to go to group meetings and with lots of lectures and extracurriculars I find them hard to fit in. They're just more stress than they're worth. There are plenty of other times where I get to use group working skills, I don't need it enforced upon me in my degree.

I also hate the way that basically the calibre of people you get put in the group with depends on the mark you're going to get and quite often you're marked as part of a whole group rather than as an individual in the group. Great if you're the lazy one but if you get stuck in with a group of people who average 2:2s and you average firsts then what are you meant to do? It sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately working with lazy people and people you don't get on with is a fact of life and something you have to get used to for when you start work. Being able to work wih people you wouldn't normally choose to work with and planning and doing work well, correctly and on schedule is probably one of the best skills you will ever learn at University.

If someone genuinely isn't pulling their weight then tell your lecturers/teachers that you're not happy. If you're in Sixth Form or University if you're not happy with something raise it with the right people. Take control of the situation and get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    Same problem.

It shocks me that a lot of them here have been in UK boarding schools for at least 4 years but struggle to read/write/speak English and have 100% foreign friends on their facebook...
    I couldn't speak for every boarding school but in mine the chinese/HK people kept themselves to themselves really. A few would talk to us but that was because we were say 2 of 12 people in a class who were British and the rest Chinese. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some of them come out of Boarding school not being able to speak English fluently if all they do is work in numbers and scientific jargon and don't speak to many English people.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it, atm I have a good group for a presentation but it's just taking up so much of my time and the weaker members of the group who have to do a fair share will inevitably bring the mark down Although previous experiences with group work ended up with one of my friends getting annoyed she wasn't getting her own way and throwing a folder at me. Needless to say I refuse to work with her now.

I understand why unis do it and it does have its merits for presentations etc but I hate how dependent it is on the rest of your group. If you get a crap group you're screwed. There should be a group and an individual mark and your overall mark should be an average of the two.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like them. In the subject that I do, it would be impossible to study it without group work for most of the practical assignments. For example, when mixing in the studio, it makes sense to have at least two of us working on the same mix as a different set of ears might have a different perspective, allowing for more ideas, allowing for better marks. Any more than three and it just results in arguments though, and nothing gets done.

TL;DR: Group work is fine in small groups.

ReputationRep:
    Annoying

Got a presentation to do next week I'm quite stressed as to how we're going to do it considering no one gives a damn in my group :/

Decided to just allocate things to people, if they don't do it I'll do it ffs lol.

Our uni does group and individual marks depending on how we present and answer questions so it's not all bad but still when I'm the one who wrote the presentation and the script it's ridiculous to know that others are leeching off me >D

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair. Last year I had a group coursework to do; the whole report got 33%. Why? Because the question hadn't really been answered on the whole, and most of the points were superficial. Looking through the work, my section was the only bit with a reasonable number of ticks and positive comments on it. And yet i got the same mark (group-moderated to a deviation of 2-3% of the mean) of the people who wrote complete crap without answering the question.

Yes, I was expected to have made sure they wrote the right stuff, and I willingly admit that I deserved to be penalised to some degree for that, but surely not noticing something is complete bullsh*t and not answering the question is not nearly as punishable as actually writing it in the first place; especially bearing in mind that a fair chunk of my contribution was good.

All in all, an epic f***-up of a piece of coursework. Not exactly helped, either, by the fact that one member of my group was screwed for plagiarisim because he copied and pasted 1 page of wikipedia without referencing it :facepalm2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.