Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Greatest prime minister of the 20th/21st century! Watch

Thatcher. Churchill was a ****.

ReputationRep:
      Anyone remeber this guy?:

Yeah well he wasn't it

I'd say Clement Attlee. He ran the country (chancelor) during the war while churchill ran the actual war. And whilst he was PM introduced he introduced beveridges welfare state.

ReputationRep:
      :fight::fight::fight:So it is agreed attlee is the greatest! Now we drink stead and rum, eat salted pork and smoke the finest pipes until our belly full. Tonight we live as kings, as tomorrow we ride! Ride to glorious victory and honour! :fight:

Yes a week of cancelled lectures has made me go insane!

ReputationRep:
      Churchill, because out of all the ones I know about, he's the only one I dont hate

ReputationRep:
      Chuck Norris

ReputationRep:
      Churchill.

ReputationRep:
      Tony Blair or Clement Atlee.

ReputationRep:
      Clement Attlee helped by Nye Bevan.

The best PM that could have been was Michael Foot.

ReputationRep:
      Atlee? The Welfare State? Whatever good intentions the welfare state may have had, it encouraged people to think in 2 ways - to be one of those who do or those who do or one of those who do nothing at the expense of those who do.

I'm really tempted to say Chamberlain. Not only do I love his fashion statement (the upturned collar - he cut a better looking figure than most prime ministers) but he is maligned by so many for his appeasement that I can't help thinking that he must be underrated. Who is to say that to try for peace is necessarily worse than to declare war? Diplomacy is part of a proper politician and that is the angle that he will surely have sought. War will have been the last option, certianly after 'the war to end all wars' WW1.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.