Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through, should finish it off tonight. Is it a real humdinger?
    I loved 1984. But then I'm a fan of dystopian literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    The Bible.
    You stole my line, damnit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I still don't understand the end of Harry Potter 7. Granted I read it once and a long time ago but still...
    I'm willing to offer my services as an HP geek if you actually want it explained?

OP, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, A Clockwork Orange (I just kept wanting a dictionary of the words!), Grapes of Wrath (I swear nothing happened for 20 pages except a god-damn tortoise walked up a road?) and Twilight (as in - What is this crap?!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through, should finish it off tonight. Is it a real humdinger?
    I wouldn't want to say anything to ruin it for you, but I had to read the last bit three or four times to work out what the hell happened

ReputationRep:
    To all the people who go "wtf" to A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man", don't bother trying to read Ulysses/Finnegans Wake.

UTTER MIND ****

Dubliners/A Portrait are definitely the easier books :p: Give them a whirl people, they're pretty good once you get past the narrative/modernist voice.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    I loved 1984. But then I'm a fan of dystopian literature.

Me too. Thoughts on Brave New World, We, Fahrenheit 451, Jennifer Government?

ReputationRep:
    I love the end of 1984! Soul crushing! But I'm also a fan of dystopian fiction ah...

I tried to read the Brothers Karamazov about a year ago because I am a pretentious **** and read about three pages, I think the sheer width of the book put me off..

ReputationRep:
    The bit in the woods the first time I read Tess of the D'Urbervilles a while ago. I just couldn't connect what Hardy had written with the idea of Tess getting pregnant. I was like "Um, how did this happen exactly?" I was a fair bit younger though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Me too. Thoughts on Brave New World, We, Fahrenheit 451, Jennifer Government?

Ahh someone else! I've attempted reading We many times but just can't get into it! I think it's too 'mathermatical' for me! But I will try yet again come summer! I enjoyed Brave New World read it again last year but looking at the philosophical element of it. I've yet to read Fahrenheit 451 but recently watched the film so I'm definitely going to check it out! Wasn't a fan of The Handmaids Tale, I found it very difficult to get my teeth into and I hated the flashbacks! I think I'd class A Clockwork Orange as dystopian too and I thoroughly enjoyed that! Brazil is a pretty good dystopian film if you fancy a change from reading!

I'm doing a minor in lit. at uni and that only so I can do 'Science Fiction' and most importantly 'Utopias and Dystopias' in my final year! I'M SO EXCITED! AHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doloroushazy)
    I love the end of 1984! Soul crushing! But I'm also a fan of dystopian fiction ah...

I tried to read the Brothers Karamazov about a year ago because I am a pretentious **** and read about three pages, I think the sheer width of the book put me off..
    We're collecting a few dystopian literature lovers in here! Join us!

ReputationRep:
    Parts of 1984 had me scratching my head, but the overall plot I understood.

ReputationRep:
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov. I didn't find it too bad, but yeah, I can see what the big deal was lol

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Henry James.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    Ahh someone else! I've attempted reading We many times but just can't get into it! I think it's too 'mathermatical' for me! But I will try yet again come summer! I enjoyed Brave New World read it again last year but looking at the philosophical element of it. I've yet to read Fahrenheit 451 but recently watched the film so I'm definitely going to check it out! Wasn't a fan of The Handmaids Tale, I found it very difficult to get my teeth into and I hated the flashbacks! I think I'd class A Clockwork Orange as dystopian too and I thoroughly enjoyed that! Brazil is a pretty good dystopian film if you fancy a change from reading!

I'm doing a minor in lit. at uni and that only so I can do 'Science Fiction' and most importantly 'Utopias and Dystopias' in my final year! I'M SO EXCITED! AHH
    Gobsmacked! You have written pretty much my usual description and list of books. This includes A Clockwork Orange and Brazil, even if it is a film. Still have The Handmaids Tale to read. Have you read Never Let Me Go yet? More modern but amazing.

What else. Ah Phillip K ****. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and VALIS are really excellent.

Kudos on your taste and choice of course. I did Astrophysics, Computing and Law. this gave me a rather interesting perspective for a few short stories/books. Still not sure where they are going in length yet but the structure is complete. If anything just for my pleasure, but maybe they will be enjoyed by some others as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    But you wouldn't know if it would be a 'WHAT?' book unless you read it, would you?
    But now thanks to this thread I know quite a few, so I'll avoid them now.

I'm just saying, if its confusing and irritating at the beginning I wouldnt bother finishing it. Because that's pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    We're collecting a few dystopian literature lovers in here! Join us!
    hell yeah.. I went crazy a few years ago and just read every post-apocalyptic novel i could find! death of grass is horrifically depressing! Have you read On The Beach? it's brilliant..
    Galapagos by Vonnegut is also oddly uplifting! have you read any more of Atwood? i really liked Oryx and Crake and the Year of the Flood.

I quite liked Kallocain as well (it's essentially the Swedish version of 1984)

ReputationRep:
    I read 'Surfacing' by Margaret Atwood in summer. That was definitely a 'what' book for me. I was tempted to give up but I normally love Atwood's stuff so stuck with it. The sections near the end are particularly strange. It is linked to regression and a connection with nature etc. :/

ReputationRep:
    Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas. First did it in general studies and if I close my eyes and listen to it I still smell summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doloroushazy)
    hell yeah.. I went crazy a few years ago and just read every post-apocalyptic novel i could find! death of grass is horrifically depressing! Have you read On The Beach? it's brilliant..
    Galapagos by Vonnegut is also oddly uplifting! have you read any more of Atwood? i really liked Oryx and Crake and the Year of the Flood.

I quite liked Kallocain as well (it's essentially the Swedish version of 1984)
    I guess you went more for the post apocalyptic society rather than the controlled perfect world Utopia/Dystopia.

Both are interesting to read and compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    I guess you went more for the post apocalyptic society rather than the controlled perfect world Utopia/Dystopia.

Both are interesting to read and compare.
    it depends! I really liked a Clockwork Orange and Kallocain and 1984, I think they're both as terrifying as each other. oh, and brave new world! could you recommend me more of the latter?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.