Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does everyone get a boner over maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    "Why does everyone get a boner over maths?"

There are girls who do/love maths too you know!

ReputationRep:
    no there arent, there are just girls who act all nerdy for the extra attention units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanChamp)
    I found Edexcel Maths easier than my Business Studies A-Level.
    Everyone here is always putting down essay subjects.. maths is piss..

maths - easy
    further maths (fp1-fp3, m2, m3, m4) - easy
    additional further maths - yawn
    step I, II - simple, teasing

I can honestly say that Business is harder than afm..

step II is harder though, lol..

I'm just saying show a lil' respect to the essays you maths bumbandits!

or am i mistaken?
    I actually agree with you, A-level Maths is NOT that hard a course. It is the most popular A-level (correct me if I'm wrong) and yet has pretty much the highest A*/A grade attainment, so that weakens this purported argument that people who do well in Maths are just "talented" at it. The stuff you find at A-level Maths is basically just applying some easy-to-remember rules to problems where it usually quite obvious what you have to do. Most of the time the level of real understanding you need is quite small. For example, nearly everyone in my Maths class thinks an asymptote is a "line on a graph that can't be crossed"...

Essays aren't significanty harder for most people, but I think they test your skills better they require some pretty good verbal expression and you have to be quite quick to form a structure for your essay on the spot. If A-level Maths is to be a good test of your logical ability, it has to be made more challenging. The government has basically *****ed up A-level Maths in order to make it more popular, at the expense of real challenge and grit to the subject. Maths isn't, and shouldn't be, for everyone.

However, saying "Step II is harder, lol" has to be understatement of the millenium.

ReputationRep:
    True, but I believe that it would be down to primary schooling onwards. Nobody's born a maths genius..
    True, except you obviously, 400/400 is insane..hahahahahahaha C3 will be my downfall..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    True, except you obviously, 400/400 is insane..hahahahahahaha C3 will be my downfall..
    Hahaha, C3 was my hardest module too! Edexel threw in a bugger of a question. Core maths is nice.. other maths, not such pleasent experiences nah you'll be fine with the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I actually agree with you, A-level Maths is NOT that hard a course. It is the most popular A-level (correct me if I'm wrong) and yet has pretty much the highest A*/A grade attainment, so that weakens this purported argument that people who do well in Maths are just "talented" at it. The stuff you find at A-level Maths is basically just applying some easy-to-remember rules to problems where it usually quite obvious what you have to do. Most of the time the level of real understanding you need is quite small. For example, nearly everyone in my Maths class thinks an asymptote is a "line on a graph that can't be crossed"...

Essays aren't significanty harder for most people, but I think they test your skills better they require some pretty good verbal expression and you have to be quite quick to form a structure for your essay on the spot. If A-level Maths is to be a good test of your logical ability, it has to be made more challenging. The government has basically *****ed up A-level Maths in order to make it more popular, at the expense of real challenge and grit to the subject. Maths isn't, and shouldn't be, for everyone.

However, saying "Step II is harder, lol" has to be understatement of the millenium.
    You know what you're talking about. Coming from a comp, I was surrounded by people with similar asymptote mentality haha.. at A-Level you don't have to understand what you're doing at all, you just need to find the area of a segment when the question tells you to. I feel that in a History exam, for example, you are required to draw from a bank of knowledge that you have accumulated through your readings.. so there's an element of interpretation.

I practiced a bit of P1-P4, and that was more like the maths you'd expect at Advanced Level..

And haha, I'm an understatement kind of person

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, C3 was my hardest module too! Edexel threw in a bugger of a question. Core maths is nice.. other maths, not such pleasent experiences nah you'll be fine with the exam
    Ah we have WJEC but im sure its the same stuff mainly..Mechanics 1 was my hardest, I kept getting E's in all my mocks and then my highest mark in the exam! funny how life works

ReputationRep:
    I get excited over trignometric ratios

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoaringStar)
    I get excited over trignometric ratios
    i prefer Euler's theorem

ReputationRep:
    proving trigonometric identities gets me hard.

ReputationRep:
    Essay subjects in general, espicially history and english lit are just downright frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    400/400 ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ...........

Just out of interest, what subjects did you choose in A/s and A levels + what did you get in your GCSEs?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.