Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cinema on your own? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    **** paying like 7 quid for a film where theres no girl with me to even play the popcorn trick on.
    Enlighten me dude :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Eh I love going to the cinema alone! I usually go alone (or with my dad...LOLLL) I don't go with friends all that often. I just think it's easier, if you've nothing else to do and see that a good film is on you can just walk to the busstop and go to the cinema without having to ring everyone up, arrange meeting times etc..
    I do usually try and time it so I get there while the adverts are playing and leave as soon as it finishes so nobody need notice I am alone..
    once I thought I'd timed it perfectly and then there was some sort of prize draw before the film and I was right at the front on a nearly full row and I had to draw the name out of the hat/read the name of the winner so all the attention was drawn to me, I must've looked like I'd been stood up or something hah.
    Plus I think there's something quite...connecting about being at the cinema? I dunno you're all sitting in a dark room watching a film, I always get a sense of community.

i must look canny passionate about solitary cinema attendance hah

ReputationRep:
    **** paying like 7 quid for a film where theres no girl with me to even play the popcorn trick on.
    whats the pop corn trick?? I wanna try it....

ReputationRep:
    Nope - never been alone but then again don't go all too often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meatzaper)
    whats the pop corn trick?? I wanna try it....
    Said already, on the second page i think, cba to type it again

ReputationRep:
    I love going to the cinema by myself, it's much better than going with friends. The few times I have gone with friends, I haven't really had a great time. Most of the time my friends are either talking during the film or constantly leaving to get more food/go to the toilet etc. I hate going to cinemas when it's packed as well which is why I avoid going on the weekends. I just prefer watching the film by myself with no distractions, it's so much more enjoyable. Although the last few times I went to the cinema by myself (paticularly when I went to see the latest Harry Potter film) I got a few weird looks. I don't see anything wrong with it though - you're going to be sitting in the dark for 2-3 hours, you don't need someone with you.

ReputationRep:
    I go to the cinema on my own all the time. I love it, I personally prefer going on my own, I find it very relaxing, it's kind of like an escape if you want to think of it like that. Because obviously I go in, turn my phone off, put my feet up and I feel as though no one can bother me if you know understand my point, and obviously it's the opportunity to escape to another world. It's nice.

I found the first couple of times a bit scary I admit, I felt like everyone was looking at me but now I don't bat an eyelid. I tend to go after a few hours shopping as a way of chilling out!

Also if I want to see horror films because none of my friends or family will go with me :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Popcorn trick iisss..
    Where you get a bag of popcorn, cut a whole out of the bottom, inset an erect penis inside the whole (hopefully your big so it goes near the top) then casually get your girlfriend/whatever girl your with to dip her hand in to get some popcorn and to her suprise she has grabbed a penis :O

once she has realised, she then proceeds to give you an amazing secret handjob.

ok well thats probably the most wished end of the trick but i doubt that ever happens they probably just usually get a slap.
    Lool I had a feeling thats what it would be... but u would have to be off your head to try it... I might do it one day... but obviously with a girl i don't really like in case it goes wrong

ReputationRep:
    I actually choose not to go to the cinema rather than go on my own...

Gig going still feels awkward, but it's more socially acceptable to talk to a randomer...

Although I'm naturally awkward

ReputationRep:
    I have done a couple of times and I actually like it. It's annoying when you watch a film that you love and the person you go with hates it. Also it's not like you're really having proper conversations in the cinema- a restaurant however I couldn't bring myself to go to alone.

ReputationRep:
    One of my mates got really high once and had the munchies for some popcorn so went and saw a film by himself and got some popcorn.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I have to go with friends as I like to annoy them and giving them a commentary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    I don't see a problem with it, tbh. I'd just not to do as it'd be boring.
    How so? It's not like you can talk in the cinema anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I love going to the cinema on my own. Sometimes it's not always convinient to find someone to go with last minute or to find someone who wants to watch the same film! I watched Prince of Persia on my own... I don't think my boyfriend would have appreciated sitting next to me whilst i'm drooling over Jake Gyllenhaal anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Nah, I have to go with friends as I like to annoy them and giving them a commentary
    You like to talk throughout? Thats a bit rude init.

ReputationRep:
    I work at a cinema, and more often that not - during the week I'd say 1/5 come alone to watch a film. No problems with that, indeed I've done it a few times. Although sometimes you can't help feel sad for those that you know always come alone - but some people like to watch a film with no one bothering them, and just to sit alone and enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't ever done it, but I don't think there's anything wrong going places on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    How so? It's not like you can talk in the cinema anyway.
    It's a better atmosphere, to me, when people are there. You can laugh/jump/whatever together, depending on the film and lots of people still whisper to each other anyway. Plus whatever happens before and/or after the cinema, you'll be doing alone, even if it is just the bus home.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it a few times, it's better imo because i can do my head nodding antics which i usually do at home when i watch a film and something great happens. I like to be animated when i watch films and when i'm with people, i feel a bit stupid doing it. Plus, i don't want to hear how 'his last film wasn't all that'. It's like 'Ok mother****er, but this film is good, so shut it up'.

I may seem like i think going to places on your own is always beneficial, but if someone went to a theme park on their own, they are a true sad case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    It's a better atmosphere, to me, when people are there. You can laugh/jump/whatever together, depending on the film and lots of people still whisper to each other anyway. Plus whatever happens before and/or after the cinema, you'll be doing alone, even if it is just the bus home.
    Ahhh I see! Comedies aren't very fun to see on your own I admit. I love bus journeys alone though I think it's just that some people like more alone time than others!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.