Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's science fiction film do you like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Blade Runner, Brazil, La Jetée, Solaris (1972), Stalker.

Any one could be a contender.

ReputationRep:
    Fritz Lang's 1927 film Metropolis. One of the earliest examples of the Sci-fi genre and a great film.

ReputationRep:
    Star Trek (2009) I've watched it seven times and would still find any excuse to watch it again!

I'robot. Watched only like 4 times. Will smith is awesome in this. I love sonny!

ReputationRep:
    Back To The Future, The Matrix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Star Trek (2009) I've watched it seven times and would still find any excuse to watch it again!
    Same I would recommend the new movie to any general SciFi fans, but even to a long term trekkie that film is amazing. The casting was brilliant don't you think, specially for Cap. Kirk and Spock. It was the random little one liners they put in from the original series that made me happy, that and the original soundtrack at the end.

Ahh Star Trek is amazing. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The single greatest piece of 'science fiction' is 2001: A Space Odyssey, but to call it 'science fiction' is to do it a great disservice. It's a work of art. Every frame of it is perfect.

If it's not for you, then Blade Runner, obviously, or the first two Star Wars films. La Jetee is also very good, as the fellow at the top said.

ReputationRep:
    men in black

ReputationRep:
    Danny's boyle's Sunshine. Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis, based on the 1927 German expressionist film, is a good one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Stefular)
    Same I would recommend the new movie to any general SciFi fans, but even to a long term trekkie that film is amazing. The casting was brilliant don't you think, specially for Cap. Kirk and Spock. It was the random little one liners they put in from the original series that made me happy, that and the original soundtrack at the end.

Ahh Star Trek is amazing. :cool:
    It is! I loved the scene when alternate past Kirk meets future Spock!
    My brothers usually call star trek boring and silly but they were into that movie!

Zachary Quinto was really good. He looks better as a half vulcan!

And the soundtrack!I liked the soundtrack too!

And so many other things. I did't watch original series very regularly and this movie made me want to watch more of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    It is! I loved the scene when alternate past Kirk meets future Spock!
    My brothers usually call star trek boring and silly but they were into that movie!

Zachary Quinto was really good. He looks better as a half vulcan!

And the soundtrack!I liked the soundtrack too!

And so many other things. I did't watch original series very regularly and this movie made me want to watch more of it.
    I loved all of it!! I'm like a huge fan of the original series, so when they said they were making a new movie I was like :/ not good times. But I'm so glad they did, the effects were amazing, and so many more people got into it. Ahh watch the original series it'll make you happy x

ReputationRep:
    The notebook

ReputationRep:
    Artificial Intelligence
    Star Trek
    Apollo 13
    Signs
    Back to the future

There are lots of them, but those are the ones on the top of my head right now.

ReputationRep:
    I love sci fi, but of all the movies I've watched my top ones would have to be, in no particular order:

Blade Runner
    The apogee of the film noir genre, easily one of the most beautiful and absorbing works committed to celluloid to date with some fantastic sequences. Roy's death stands out in particular.

Gattaca
    Very intelligent, and potentially prescient, glimpse into our genetic future.

Alien
    The only horror film I've seen that kept me up at night.

The 1984 version. It follows the book very closely and is all the more terrifying for it. John Hurt makes everything better, and the breaking of Winston is painful to watch. I'm not usually a fan of book-movie adaptations when I'm a fan of the book, but 1984 and LOTR prove to me that there are some exceptions to the rule.

Brazil
    It's like Terry Gilliam read 1984 on LSD and thought that making it funnier would in turn make it more chilling. He was right. The end scene is brilliant, too. I'm sure you could spend years watching this film over and over again and still be picking up on new metaphors and allegories.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    The definition of space opera. The soundtrack alone makes it a masterpiece.

Starship Troopers
    Pulpy fun with space nazis and mini nukes, oh and Michael Ironside. What's not to like? Good if you want to sit back and enjoy explosions for 2 hours.

The Matrix
    Although I quite like the second film and am ambivalent about the third, the first is a great movie on whatever level you want - high existential philosophy through to mindless explosions. Also - Morpheus' glasses are still cool 11 years on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Blade Runner, Brazil, La Jetée, Solaris (1972), Stalker.

Any one could be a contender.
    (Original post by Christien)
    The single greatest piece of 'science fiction' is 2001: A Space Odyssey, but to call it 'science fiction' is to do it a great disservice. It's a work of art. Every frame of it is perfect.

If it's not for you, then Blade Runner, obviously. La Jetee is also very good, as the fellow at the top said.

These guys know their stuff :five:

also +1 to:

Gattaca
    Sunshine
    Moon
    Code 46

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    Primer
    Gattaca
    Gattaca was one that I half-intended to buy for a long time before I got lacking enough of high-priority titles to try out. Big mistake, should have put it at the top from the start! Awesome film, hugely underrated.

Primer blows my brain apart every time I watch it. My friends and I spent ages after the first watch simply spluttering, trying to find words.

I'm really liking the reboot of Star Trek and hope that the next one will be another to add to this list in due course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.