Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Students with part-time jobs, how many hours do you work weekly? watch

ReputationRep:
    University
    I currently work at a supermarket, on a 12-hours a week contract.
    [Thursday evening and Saturday all day]

I sometimes get roped into doing overtime; a few weeks ago, I worked 19 hours [Thursday afternoon/evening, Friday afternoon, Saturday all day] and the another week I worked 29 hours [Tuesday all day, Thursday afternoon/evening, Friday afternoon, Saturday all day].

I get £6.21 an hour, paid on a four-weekly basis.

I couldn't live without that extra money. My loan and grant leave very little after my rent - like £200 for a full term...

Most of my friends at university work, either during term time or in the holidays, although there are some who don't and don't see the need as they get 'allowances' from their parents.

School
    I worked 18 hours a week, all at weekends [extra during the holidays], for an electronics retailer.

It was a bit hard-going, as I had to be in school Monday-Friday 8am-3pm [with an hours walk home]. A one stage, I had been in school/work every day for nearly three months and thus hadn't had a single free day. I got used to it though, but when I did get days off, I would be shattered.

I was earning £5.35 an hour, being paid monthly.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was working 20-25 hours a week and earning about £250 a fortnight on that.

I'm in my 2nd year now, and because my time management sucks and with the extra workload this year, I currently work 10-15 hours a week (weekends only) which is about £150-£170 a fortnight.

ReputationRep:
    I work anything from 24 - 30 hours. I just started so I'm not sure if I'm on a proper pay cycle and I'm too scared to go ask for my payslip cause the cash office people are scary!! But...I get paid every two weeks and I got about £230 on my last pay.

ReputationRep:
    I work around 14 hours a week, although this depends on the time of the year. Usually I'll do 5 1/2 hours on Friday then 8 on Saturday. Get paid every 2 weeks and it's roughly £140-£150. I get more shifts over holidays and stuff too.

ReputationRep:
    Contracted for 13.5 hours a week although with overtime this last month I've done around 20-30 a week. Knackered, but thinking of the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    How many days? And how much are you paid? And monthly or weekly?
    I work between 10 - 16 hours a week at a coffee shop, on Saturdays and Wednesdays (I go straight from my 9am-10.30am lesson at college to my 11am start at work, then often straight back up to the library when I finish ) I get paid £5.50 an hour, which is pretty good, and we get paid at the end of every month.

ReputationRep:
    Back in Year 13, I used to work on Wednesday afternoons from about 2-6 and I got paid £30 (which works out at £7.50/hr).

ReputationRep:
    On average about 24 hours per week, over 4-5 nights.
    I get paid weekly and £5 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    I work between 4-20 hours a week on Monday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday .. have college Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. I get paid £5.74 an hour around the 28th of the each month. Not a bad job really, I get on with the people and it's all money

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 jobs, although 2 are voluntary.
    In my paid job I work 23 hours a week at £6/hour, though its really not busy so I have a lot of time to think my life through and plan what I have to do for my other jobs and uni work.
    I have about 10 hours/week at university but lots of reading to do.
    Absolutely no time to myself but it will be worth it! Need to save up for my unpaid placement year

ReputationRep:
    I work as a Christmas Sales assistant in GAME. Usually I'd work 5pm-9pm Tuesday and Wednesday, and then something like 10am-4pm Saturday or Sunday. But with Christmas coming up, I'm working a lot more hours. For example, I'm working 4/5 hours Boxing Day, 4/5 hours 27th December, 4/5 hours 28th December, 4/5 hours 29h December...
    15 hours of lessons a week, so that's not too bad.
    £5.93 per hour, and triple pay on Boxing Day :cool:
    Get paid fortnightly in arrears.

ReputationRep:
    I had the best job ever. For me anyway:
    Free cooked breakfast & Lunch
    12 hour shift saturday
    12 hour shift sunday
    6.50 per hour.
    around 640-750 per month
    Sat & watched tv. Had access to internet and was on that most of the day.
    Did school work too...although often i was too tired from waking up at 5:30am...especially if they ****ed up staffing upstairs and i'd go upstairs after and do another 2 hours.

Max i worked one week was about 35 - 9 of them was stewarding, 24, hall porter doing **** all.

Had to walk around the building once every 4 hours to check security.

ReputationRep:
    i do 20 hours a week working from home but I only earn minimum wage. I can work anytime mon-fri though so it's very flexible plus I get several perks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazular)
    I work as a Christmas Sales assistant in GAME. Usually I'd work 5pm-9pm Tuesday and Wednesday, and then something like 10am-4pm Saturday or Sunday. But with Christmas coming up, I'm working a lot more hours. For example, I'm working 4/5 hours Boxing Day, 4/5 hours 27th December, 4/5 hours 28th December, 4/5 hours 29h December...
    15 hours of lessons a week, so that's not too bad.
    £5.93 per hour, and triple pay on Boxing Day :cool:
    Get paid fortnightly in arrears.
    She a working girl. Mm.

ReputationRep:
    I've got two jobs at the moment ha but that's only because I work at my uni and I needed a job during xmas holidays when the term was over. I'm roughly working 12.5-16 hrs a week and commuting which is hassle, but at the moment I'm finding it pretty hard because my workload is pretty insane! I shouldn't really be on tsr haha

ReputationRep:
    I do 12 hours a week, sometimes they up me to 16 hours a week, over thursday nights and weekends. Get paid £6.10/h.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    On average about 24 hours per week, over 4-5 nights.
    I get paid weekly and £5 an hour.
    How do you study?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I had the best job ever. For me anyway:
    Free cooked breakfast & Lunch
    12 hour shift saturday
    12 hour shift sunday
    6.50 per hour.
    around 640-750 per month
    Sat & watched tv. Had access to internet and was on that most of the day.
    Did school work too...although often i was too tired from waking up at 5:30am...especially if they ****ed up staffing upstairs and i'd go upstairs after and do another 2 hours.

Max i worked one week was about 35 - 9 of them was stewarding, 24, hall porter doing **** all.

Had to walk around the building once every 4 hours to check security.
    The pay and the food is awesome!!! But, man!!! 12 HOUR SHIFT!!!!:eek: How come that you are not dead, yet? Are you a zombie? Soka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no-fat-chicks)
    i do 20 hours a week working from home but I only earn minimum wage. I can work anytime mon-fri though so it's very flexible plus I get several perks
    Wich work is that? Please, tell me. I want to work in the warmth of my home too. Please....

ReputationRep:
    i work about 10-15 hours a week,
    in 6th from,
    paid monthl, but works out at about £100 a week

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.