What car?? (It's not a FIRST car) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If its a company car, doesnt your dad need to drive it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    haha thanks for sticking up for me :L
    what's a GTI? i hear it on top gear a lot. :L
    insurance wise tbh im not sure, i pretty sure i'd be insured on anything. it is after all third person thingy.

and these 4x4 don't have too much power? my friend has a discovery
    Haha, it's alright, he was just being pathetic. The mods saw fit to remove it and warn me for it though lol. :rolleyes:

It's their sportier version, has just under 200bhp, pretty fast and will handle well. If your insurance (and parents) are fine with faster cars that's what I'd be taking advantage of, but then again I have crashed recently so.....but as long as you drive sensibly then it would still be fine and fun too, wish I would have now haha

Yeah, I like the Discovery, if you could get it with Leather trim etc it would be pretty cool.

Like someone said above, an Alfa would be awesome to have. The diesels might fit into the emissions/tax bracket thing you've got to have too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    And about diesel, im not entirely sure on the costing, but i know cars with diesel generally are better to drive - except they are very hard to keep clean.
    Not trying to be a ****, but I think that maybe you shouldn't be the one deciding what car to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    If its a company car, doesnt your dad need to drive it? :confused:
    nahhh, he drives his other car.
    i think they are...as far as i know.. im not an expert in cars,,my last post was all based on basic knowledge and purest common sense

And about diesel, im not entirely sure on the costing, but i know cars with diesel generally are better to drive - except they are very hard to keep clean.
    aha that's okay my brother get paid to clean the cars lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Not trying to be a ****, but I think that maybe you shouldn't be the one deciding what car to get.
    when i said harder to keep clean, i meant that diesel makes the car engine, inside the bonnet, dirtier - not that it makes the car dirty from outside.

ReputationRep:
    Get A Ford Focus...Good,Reliable Car Mate.
    It Also Depends On Your Age If Your Young Then Get A Peugout 2o6

ReputationRep:
    Buy a tank. Our government will be selling the army's tanks soon im sure, seeing as the country is so desperately poor, so it'll be easy to get your hands on one.

Also, i wouldn't expect anyone to get too worried if you don't pay for tax, seeing as its a tank basically. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to come to a tank owners home to demand tax payments.

Its a total win/win tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11SANJ11)
    Get A Ford Focus...Good,Reliable Car Mate.
    It Also Depends On Your Age If Your Young Then Get A Peugout 2o6
    anyone can drive a ford focus.. my 17 year old friend drives one..
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Buy a tank. Our government will be selling the army's tanks soon im sure, seeing as the country is so desperately poor, so it'll be easy to get your hands on one.

Also, i wouldn't expect anyone to get too worried if you don't pay for tax, seeing as its a tank basically. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to come to a tank owners home to demand tax payments.

Its a total win/win tbh.
    i loled. i would get a tank but my dad is in a controversial job at times so i don't think it would be that good tbh

ReputationRep:
    If you REALLY want an XC90 the diesel version does about 41mpg, so on a full tank ( which will probably cost over £100 ) you should get like 900 miles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    If you REALLY want an XC90 the diesel version does about 41mpg, so on a full tank ( which will probably cost over £100 ) you should get like 900 miles.
    does that mean tax is low?

why are my posts getting negged?! there is nothing 'spoilt' about this!! its not like he is giving the car to me and my choices aren't completely free.

ReputationRep:
    ah okay lol.

VW Golfs and ford focuses remind me of mums' cars. They don't seem that appealing for younger drivers :/
    But a VW bug, what's that like now? like a proper vintage style one - just new because I wouldn't like it to break down a lot :')
    Spoiler:
    Show

That really looks like a "mums" car...

ReputationRep:
    anyone can drive a ford focus.. my 17 year old friend drives one..

i loled. i would get a tank but my dad is in a controversial job at times so i don't think it would be that good tbh
    Im glad you did. Ah i see, the kind of 'if i told you, i'd have to kill you' job.

But tank purchasing is definitely something worth remembering for future cars choices tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Spoiler:
    Show

That really looks like a "mums" car...
    can't see the picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Im glad you did. Ah i see, the kind of 'if i told you, i'd have to kill you' job.

But tank purchasing is definitely something worth remembering for future cars choices tbh.
    No no, I would just get negged more if I said what it was
    Well I'm quite bad at parking.. so maybe a tank wouldn't be the best choice.. where would I park it? :/ Heck, it probably wouldn't even fit down our lane.

ReputationRep:
    can't see the picture?
    I can... http://wallpapers-diq.com/wallpapers...lack_Paint.jpg

that is the link anyway.

I am in the same position as you, I am insured on a business policy... therefore I can drive anything regardless.

I could of had something like a Corsa VXR, but why would I? I was 17 when I got my car, its all about having an underpowered go-kart such as a Corsa, Mini, Swift or Golf...

Get an XC90 when you're older.

ReputationRep:
    when i said harder to keep clean, i meant that diesel makes the car engine, inside the bonnet, dirtier - not that it makes the car dirty from outside.
    That is just as stupid as saying it makes the body dirty

lrn2diesel

ReputationRep:
    Why can't a 17 drive a 320d? I just looked it up, they look nicee.
    Because it is a very powerful car for an inexperienced driver and you would probably not be able to control it.

I am not being patronising, but the temptation is there and sooner or later you would cave and put your foot down, then god knows what would happen.

By the way, the Range Rover is the king of the 4x4 world. Not the sport, the proper one.

Stick to something smaller and less powerful

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, I wouldn't get an Alfa, reliability has come a long way but it is still pretty poor, so it has come from piss poor to poor. If you want an Alfa, it is a toy not a daily drive.

How about a Maxda MX-5? Best roadster ever made, rear wheel drive, quite girly and pretty nippy if you get the 2ltr and your Dad will like it. Or any other 2 seater convertible!

I think insurance and company car tax would be massive though. You need to ask your Dad how much he is willing to spend on the company car. There must be some form of limit on the Company insurance for a start and the amount of tax he is willing to pay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Because it is a very powerful car for an inexperienced driver and you would probably not be able to control it.

I am not being patronising, but the temptation is there and sooner or later you would cave and put your foot down, then god knows what would happen.

By the way, the Range Rover is the king of the 4x4 world. Not the sport, the proper one.

Stick to something smaller and less powerful
    Are you having a laugh?! A 2 ltr DIESEL is a powerful car?! It barely scrapes over 150hp! I think most people can control that amount of power. Plus it has the usual BMW drivers aids.

You would be safer in a 320d than a Corsa or other eurobox!

ReputationRep:
    astra 3 door 1.6 .. it's like sex on the beach , the indicator is annoying though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.