The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rubbaduckzilla
You only need 3 for Uni.
Oh and WTF is triple maths ?
I only know about A level Maths and Alevel Further maths.

Additional Further Maths.
Original post by -Aimee-
Why don't you study the IB?

Because the IB sucks IMO , and i don't get to do the course i want to do

Original post by Ab1odun
if you're thinking of going to uni and you need all of those A levels you should do them. otherwise don't try it, it sounds like suicide.

I don't need them for uni , i'm just interested in studying them

Original post by CapnHooch
What exactly do you want to do after A levels? Uni?

Maths at Cambridge , Physics , Medicine
Not sure so i thought it would be wise if i could do all the basics so i have the opportunity to apply for whatever i want in the future if i decide to change my mind

Original post by yahyahyahs
I hope you're trolling. If not, you are on an academic suicide mission.

I'm definitely on a academic suicide mission
You'd be wasting your time, there's nothing else to it.
Original post by justrelirandom
Currently i'm think of studying :
Triple maths (or double maths at minimum)
Triple science
Mandarin(Not really studying , just taking exams)

So a couple of questions :
1.Is triple maths worth it? Does it give you that much of an advantage?
2.How is the work load going to be?
3.If i'm also considering to take Philosophy,History,Economics is there any way to fit those in?

Yes, I did the first six and critical thinking and pretty certain that it was the only thing that enabled me to appear clever in interviews (physics) for uni. Alot of the questions i got asked were covered in later maths modules.
Original post by mrt23498
He'll have a whole load of As and Bs. My school thought I was crazy doing 5 AS.

:lolwut: It's feasible for him to get 7 As if he works. My guess is that if someone is taking on the work they're already fairly capable (though he could be hopelessly deluded).

btw I'm doing 7 + CoPE, and my school actually encouraged me :teehee: I don't understand why a school would discourage an enthusiastic student from learning :dontknow:
You have seriously underestimated how difficult AS levels are. Even if you get straight A*s at GCSE you will still struggle doing 7 AS levels.
Absolutely not. You do not, in any circumstances, need 7 levels to go to university/get a job - why do it?
Original post by James4d
There is no logic in taking 7 A levels when most university courses ask for 3.

I don't study just so i can get into uni , i just happen to be interested in them

Even if you had time to study for 7 A levels and get optimum marks, it clearly shows you had little time for extra- curricular activities (or even a social life), and this may hinder you to when applying.

How are they going to find out about my social life? Ask what clubs i go to?I don't see why 1 more subject is going to kill me seeing that lots of people take double maths triple science and mandarin requires no effort

Original post by markrush
No! Just No!

It will not help your grades and only hinder. Some will be wasted effort. As a uni or employer I would at that as someone who does not know how to prioritise and liable to undertake too much for no reason.

*there is a disclaimer here. For a Postgrad I one did 14 Ungrad modules in 1 year. However, this was the course not my course. I aced it though and it felt damn good

How can i know i can't handle it until i have tried?

Original post by Rubbaduckzilla
You only need 3 for Uni.
Oh and WTF is triple maths ?
I only know about A level Maths and Alevel Further maths.

4 for good uni's and i dont see how doing more is bad..

Original post by lexafish
My Chinese friend was advised not to take Manderin A level, because, as she was fluent, some unis wouldn't count it so it wasn't worth the effort.

Or at least, that's what she told us.

There is barely any effort required, maybe you go sit up to 10hours of exams in total to get an A level
By the way, what are the OP's GCSE grades?
Original post by Sim188
Sorry if this is a bit harsh but it's true.

If you're stupid enough to pick 7 subjects then you're not clever enough to pass them.
Oh and your social life will SUCK

Then why are there plenty of people who take double maths triple science and are also capable of another foreign language that go into oxbridge just fine

Original post by mrt23498
Take it from me, I have no frees at all at my school, even if you are smart, that would be stupid. Have you mentioned this to your school? Your sixth form head would just say 'shut up'

The headteacher did mention that only one guy in the last couple of years tried to pull off 8 but they made him drop one or two because he couldn't handle it , and he said he advised me to do 4-5 which would just be fine and have some fun....However someone on TRS did say they study what i am planning to study , at least i'm not the only one
Triple maths is 18 modules. This would ****ing kill meeeeee.....

C1 c2 c3 c4 fp1 fp2 fp3 m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 s1 s2 s3 s4 d1 d2

That's just maths 24/7. Although if you enjoy maths this should be fun!

But taking triple science and mandarin on top of that is just suicide.

Maths at Cambridge , Physics , Medicine
Not sure so i thought it would be wise if i could do all the basics so i have the opportunity to apply for whatever i want in the future if i decide to change my mind

With what you've said; Maths,Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics would probably suffice. Biology could also be beneficial.
Original post by EKR93
I don't understand why people do 5, 6 or 7 A-levels; universities want 4 at the most so what is the point, you will probably end up unemployable anyway because you would have no life other than reading books; so no people skills or experience.

If you really want to do more than most people do, 4 or 5 is probably the absolute maximum. If you did four hours of each subject a week your timetable would be pretty full.

4x6=24
7-8 hours of school a day 7x5 =35 + sat school
i dont see why it isn't feasible
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
Triple maths is 18 modules. This would ****ing kill meeeeee.....

C1 c2 c3 c4 fp1 fp2 fp3 m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 s1 s2 s3 s4 d1 d2

That's just maths 24/7. Although if you enjoy maths this should be fun!

But taking triple science and mandarin on top of that is just suicide.

I just happen to enjoy all of them
Possible? Yes. Worth it? No. Universities will recognise your excellence in a few subjects (with additional experience) as more worthwhile than a shallow knowledge in many subjects.
However, doing 3 Maths A-levels is a good idea if you want to do maths, engineering, economics or physical sciences. Maths modules are arguably the least dumbed down A-levels all round. Just don't top it up with too many subjects just for the sake of it.
Reply 55
Then why are there plenty of people who take double maths triple science and are also capable of another foreign language that go into oxbridge just fine

The headteacher did mention that only one guy in the last couple of years tried to pull off 8 but they made him drop one or two because he couldn't handle it , and he said he advised me to do 4-5 which would just be fine and have some fun....However someone on TRS did say they study what i am planning to study , at least i'm not the only one

And there are plenty of people who get 3 good a levels and get into oxbridge. My friend just got accepted and he took economics, art and Design technology. believe me, quality is better than quality. even if it aint a "respected" a level.
Bloody 'ell, NO!
Reply 57
How are they going to find out about my social life? Ask what clubs i go to?I don't see why 1 more subject is going to kill me seeing that lots of people take double maths triple science and mandarin requires no effort

How can i know i can't handle it until i have tried?

4 for good uni's and i dont see how doing more is bad..

There is barely any effort required, maybe you go sit up to 10hours of exams in total to get an A level

Liable to, not definite to. Even when I have seen grad scheme interviews we would not look well on 7 A Levels. Well not badly, but it would not help.
Reply 58
4x6=24
7-8 hours of school a day 7x5 =35 + sat school
i dont see why it isn't feasible

Because A-levels are much harder and more in-depth than GCSEs, and in my college they probably wouldn't even be able to arrange a timetable to accommodate seven subjects. It's way over the top. You definitely will not need it so why suffer for the first couple of months and have to drop half your subjects because you cannot cope?

Please just listen to the advice the people on here are giving you who are going through the process.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
In all honesty, I would stick to 3 or 4 if you were to do 7, you would have no time for extra curricular activities, this could perhaps hinder your application even if you were to justify it at an interview and you would have a non existent social life. I presume you want to do something maths or science related based on those options. Also I cannot stress enough, that you consider what you wish to do at degree when choosing these options.

Why not Maths, further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. If you wanted to go into medicine or Maths, further Maths, Physics and Economics if you were to do an economics degree or physics I would change economics for a another science.

Latest