Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Yes but its still difficult and you need a lot more.

When I applied I was on course for a strong 2:1 from Oxbridge, had a great range of ECs (dedicated part-time job with promotion, volunteering with children with special needs, on the committee of a university club etc. etc.) and had good interview technique and did a good deal of research. Still got only 2 interviews out of 12 applications. Admittedly these applications were to fairly top-end London commercial firms, but its still extremely difficult to get a TC. A 2:1 from QMUL (or anywhere) is certainly not a free-pass to interviews let alone a job.
    I must admit everyone here is making me question whether or not I should go to QMUL for Law. Do you think I should still go? I mean it's 3rd in the UK so that must say something. I would love to work for Allen and Overy and so on or just a big city law firm.

Any advice you think is relevant please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    I must admit everyone here is making me question whether or not I should go to QMUL for Law. Do you think I should still go? I mean it's 3rd in the UK so that must say something. I would love to work for Allen and Overy and so on or just a big city law firm.

Do what you want to do. Don't listen to the people on here as they're opinions are all biased just work hard at your law degree then you'll end up working for Allen and Overy.

ReputationRep:
    QMUL's not really viewed as being 3rd by law firms, but being just outside the top 10 it'll be good enough for firms like A&O so long as you are a goo candidate to start with.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

I applied to Queen Mary for law and i was wondering what's there turn down rate for applicants? And how recognised is it among firms globally?

ReputationRep:

Go through the profiles of the lawyers at the MC firms. You can do this by going to their websites and searching under lawyer. This is the best indicator to see where they go to law school. You'll be just fine coming from QMUL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Go through the profiles of the lawyers at the MC firms. You can do this by going to their websites and searching under lawyer. This is the best indicator to see where they go to law school. You'll be just fine coming from QMUL.
    i done that and none of the lawyers/trainees came frm qmul

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to do law (an option I am considering), I would go for Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Oxford (all top unis) or Nottingham (I've heard that they're good for law).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostCompetitive)
    If I wanted to do law (an option I am considering), I would go for Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Oxford (all top unis) or Nottingham (I've heard that they're good for law).
    Nottingham is also a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    Okkk reading through this thread has made me question my choices... But honestly, I believe you shouldn't apply to a university just because it's ranked highly or whatever. You should also consider the university itself, its environment and the kind of life you want to have at university. It's the next 3/4 years of your life after all, and your uni years are supposed to be the best years of your life so you really don't want to be miserable. So yeah.. keep that in mind too

ReputationRep:
    lol. A thread which discusses the rannking of law schools in this country. I look forward to watching how this thread will soon develop into 10+ pages of *****ing and bickering :rofl:

(Original post by laurabon)
    Okkk reading through this thread has made me question my choices... But honestly, I believe you shouldn't apply to a university just because it's ranked highly or whatever. You should also consider the university itself, its environment and the kind of life you want to have at university. It's the next 3/4 years of your life after all, and your uni years are supposed to be the best years of your life so you really don't want to be miserable. So yeah.. keep that in mind too
    Although true this may be, if you have certain ambitions after you have graduated then I am afraid that university prestige/rankings should play a significant part in your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    lol. A thread which discusses the rannking of law schools in this country. I look forward to watching how this thread will soon develop into 10+ pages of *****ing and bickering :rofl:
    Anything involving ranking turns into that.

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Although true this may be, if you have certain ambitions after you have graduated then I am afraid that university prestige/rankings should play a significant part in your decision.
    Agreed. Being a little happier for 3 yrs of your life is not worth sacrificing a career that's going to be the next 40 yrs of yr life.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for some reason it won't let me quote.. Obviously you have to make rankings and prestige your main point of consideration, I'm just saying it would be kind of stupid to blindly apply to universities just based on that.

ReputationRep:

QMUL is not seen as third by law firms. It is still a very good uni though, it is top 10. Just be aware that it is very competitive and you need to be doing all you can to make yourself a great candidate if you want to ensure a TC at a top firm - try to get a first, make sure you have good ECs, get yourself on the committee of a uni society etc. - there are plenty of QMUL people in top firms but not everyone who wants a TC at a top firm from QMUL will get one by any means

ReputationRep:

The fact your taking other people's opinions who have the same material as you too look at is concerning for someone who wishes to work for the best as you need to be the best and to be able to think independantly. Your not exactly showing that currently...
    Have you actually consider the situation in its entirety.
    QM law school was only founded in 1967 (ish)(or so I believe although I may be corrected), the only other uni I can think of that was founded within the last 40 years or so and is ranked extremly highly for law is Warwick. You needto consider that a lot of the partners at law firms would have studied their degree 20 years ago, for this very reason QM law school was still very much in its infancy. If your going to QM thinking it is prestige then by its nature it cannot be and neither can warwick. They are simply not old enough to be actually prestige yet they are both top 15 for sure, I suspect QM is around 10-12th and warwick slightly ahead of it (again, this is a personal ranking). What you need to remember though is that the legal world is diversfying as we speak, 10 years ago QM would not have put you in a very good stead, 10 years ago there were not many people from an ethinic minority in the legal profession. 10 years ago it was far more elitest now.

QM graduates get TC each and every year, it is getting better year on year and each year it has a little bit more to offer. There are lots of events almost weekly allowing you to visit firms for presentations, work experence in the pro bono society that happens weekly. Law firms hold days for QM students to visit etc etc. A law firm wouldn't bother inviting QM students if they would not consider them if they applied. Law events that have happened so far since september have included the following firms (this is not a definitive list)
    Clifford Chance
    Eversheds
    Berwin Leighton Paisner
    Baker Mckenzie

There are just some of the firms that some sort of event or open day has been open for QM students to attend.

At the end of the day, if you get a 2:1 from any uni, even oxbridge nowadays it is not enough in most cases to garuntee an interview. you need to do EC, what makes you different from the 1000's of students who get s 2:1 each year? At QM you need to try and get on the LAC, you need to be involved with Pro bono, you need to try and get on vac schemes, you could moot, especially if you do well it will be something else to set you apart. If you get a first that sets you apart from the 1000's to the 100's. This applies for any graduate from any university and not just QM

Furthermore, if you look in the lex100 you will see about 20-25 unis mentioned (around there) in the "a day in the life of pages". one of the unis which have former students writing about their experience of the law firm is QM. If your going to QM thinking it is oxbridge then you will be dissappointed but if your going to QM thinking it is a very good law school, one of the best in England (considering there are 80 or so maybe more law schools).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Nottingham is also a top uni.
    It's the one where it's OK not to say it though. There's some displeasure that it was once top 10, now top 20 overall in some newspaper league tables (and yet if you change the weighting of the criteria it could presumably easily be top 10). It's old enough and internationally known enough to take it on the chin. Nottingham will always have D H Lawrence and that classic looking main building to its credit.

And the likes of Glasgow and particularly Leicester don't too often get called the very top universities and yet they accept some equally capable students and are more highly rated in league tables and certain subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcvsAntonivs)
    Which part of "Any academic ranking is supposed to give you a general view on each of the universities and their approximate positions within a given country, or internationally. Of course it is subjective, but in order to decrease the level of subjectivity, you follow the steps 2) and 3), and additionally compare various rankings" is unclear to you?

Please, read any comments carefully in order to not reach such false conclusions, unsupported by evidence. I will paraphrase myself, especially for you and the others who cannot understand what they read: "Academic rankings should not be rashly excluded from the process of forming a decision as to what universities to apply to."

Best regards
    LMAO I love how you end a *****y comment with 'Best Regards,' it's hysterical. It's like stabbing someone in the tit with a fork and then giving them an Asprin and a cuddle. Anyway, it's Lucy from group P Hope it's all going good! Only got the chance to say bye to Siddika, which was a shame, you were a lovely group

ReputationRep:
    Not to complete end this thread but take a look at this guy

http://www.cliffordchance.com/about_...rt_popham.html

LLB at Southampton (good but not amazing) and now hes the senior partner of Clifford Chance worldwide.

Top 20 law school and he's in the best position a lawyer could hope to get. /end of arguments

ReputationRep:
    every1 has their 'intellectual poshh handbags swinging on here!!!

ReputationRep:
    According to the Heads of Grad Rec at 3 Magic Circle Firms the top 3 places they recruit (in order):
    1) Oxford
    2) Cambridge
    3) Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    It's ironic how you rather aggressively and with the aid of frankly unnecessary and childish personal insults accuse others of 'not reading' when you have completely misunderstood what people have said in this thread. At absolutely no point whatsoever has anybody stated or insinuated that rankings should be excluded from 'the process of forming a decision as to what universities to apply to'. People have simply pointed out the errors of using rankings as an absolute indicator of where Universities lie in regards to others due to the disparity between results and their tendency to change drastically year by year.

Of course we consider rankings when deciding universities, but to make claims such as 'UCL is a far better institute than the LSE and Durham' based on where they place in the Times list one year is absolutely ludicrous.

I'm afraid that's all I have to say on the subject now. Your idiotic statements about how people are 'brainless' and don't 'deserve' to be studying Law simply because they differ (or don't differ as the case may be) in opinion to you is incredibly childish and I have no interest whatsoever in hearing your opinion on the subject anymore. Franky the whole argument about which university is better is irrelevant, people will secure training contracts with MC firms from a wide array of universities and I fail to see how a debatable marginal difference between schools will make any difference.
    I think you are just beeing hopelessly pathetic by stating "i don't want to hear from you on this topic anymore". How am I to treat that if not as a childish immaturity in leading a conversation? Simply because you think you are a witty clever-jack does not make your argument good, mate.

Just stick to what I say and you will have no doubts that with what I responded to you was entirely correct. Analyse it, again.

PS How convenient that the last bit of your comment now seems to sound extraordinarily clever now.

You are right. Let's finish it here.

Btw, following logic you may not have been taught ( one can hardly learn it, either you are intelligent or not ):
    "People have simply pointed out the errors of using rankings as an absolute indicator of where Universities lie in regards to others due to the disparity between results and their tendency to change drastically year by year."
    Did I say in any piece of my comment that "we should treat them as an absolute"?
    One carefully reading my comment can notice no such bit.
    How, then, can you ask me "should we treat them as an absolute then?"

Pardon my colloquialism, mate, ... use your brain! Assuming that what I have just written about is true, is it not just to call you "brainless"?

Honestly, if you are going to write any other comment trying to sound even less logical and consistent, please, drop it. At one point, I shall repeat, I do agree with you. Let's end it because you are just 'plunging'.

I have to give it to you, mate. You have potential:

"Of course we consider rankings when deciding universities, but to make claims such as 'UCL is a far better institute than the LSE and Durham' based on where they place in the Times list one year is absolutely ludicrous. "

This piece is rather clever.

As to my judgements concerning whether or not you are a good fabric for a lawyer. If you plan on being so senstivie and vulnerable to someone's opposing views - believe me, you have got nothing to look for in a court room. Have you ever been to any trial before? As a practice or internship? These will do you good. You will become impervious to criticism.
    Law teaches you many things. Don't repel them.

PS2. I beg your pardon for my using so much space after PS.

Best regards, again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.