Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Daal' one of North India's worst creation? Watch

• View Poll Results: South or North Indian cuisine which is better?
    North India
    62.96%
    South India
    37.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirandjivy)
    you said highly unlikely but there is a chance that it might be poisonous then .

Also I think it is important to know where your food comes from and I never meant in detail like street or house number, just the country and region.
    Yeh could give me food poisoning...then again so can familiar foods And India is enough for me!

ReputationRep:
    I had tarka daal the other night. Needed to be a little otter. *badoomtish* :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    It's not an exclusively northern dish, I know many south indians who cook variants. I've had Vada and dal for breakfast on some trains in south india before.

Personally I think south indian dishes take more getting used to, maybe that's because most "indian" restaurants in the west don't serve south indian cuisine. Meat is also less commonly used (except fish on the coastlines) so things like sambar become more prominent, which can be a totally alien dish to some people in the north.

Basically, it's all good haha

ReputationRep:
    I take your point into consideration about trying other people's daal. Also some dishes in South India take a really short time to cook, however there are some dishes which do require some time but if you really want those authentic flavors then slow cooking is the way. Generally slow cooking dishes like a Sunday roast, a stew or a lancashire hotpot are slow cooking dishes but they are all taste nice because the meat, veg or fish used in those dishes are really tender and succulent when the cooking has finished which is same for South Indian food as well.
    north indian food is just as awesome, just without the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Firstly, it's spelt "dahl". And it can taste really good if the person who made it is pro. And north indian cuisine is sooo good. South can't compete matey
    Firstly you get your facts rights, there are variations of spelling the word 'daal' like 'dahl, 'dal' or even 'daal'. So don't be so dismissive as to thinking there is only one way to spell a word.

South Indian cuisine is good and they can compete in various levels... matey:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Why all this Daal hate?

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE daal. :love: Although, to be honest, anything with ghee in it gets my vote, haha!

ReputationRep:
    vhaat, north indian food clearly doesn't just consist of daal, jheeze, get out from under your rock!

what about all that tandoori? tandoori chicken, tandoori fish, tandoori naan
    then you have tikka
    and then we move onto naans and whatnot

fair enough yeah, you have your dosas, but don't even try and win this one (:

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Dal. But Pakistani food > Indian food.

Bengali food is also very nice. I can remmeber the very first time I tried it, it was excellent I've only ever ate it a few times, not many bengali food places in my area.

Sticking to the topic though, North Indian food is better than South indian food for me. But I havent ate enough South Indian food to really compare it to be honest. But I'm not a big fan of vegetable dishes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    vhaat, north indian food clearly doesn't just consist of daal, jheeze, get out from under your rock!

what about all that tandoori? tandoori chicken, tandoori fish, tandoori naan
    then you have tikka
    and then we move onto naans and whatnot

fair enough yeah, you have your dosas, but don't even try and win this one (:
    well we too have more than just dosa we have our fish curries such as crab, prawns tilapia and many more we also have many great meat dishes as well also we have fantastic veg dishes as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Yellow Daal is my favourite.
    Haha really? You must be Punjabi.

As for the thread, I hate lentils in general but my Greek girlfriend makes them amazingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    Haha really? You must be Punjabi.

As for the thread, I hate lentils in general but my Greek girlfriend makes them amazingly.
    what does being punjabi have to do with yellow daal? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -XxX-)
    what does being punjabi have to do with yellow daal? :confused:
    Because out of all the Indians I've met they seem to be the only ones to enjoy it, perhaps it's just me and my experiance?

Personally I don't like that anymore I like lentils in general. I was just saying, you know, what forums are for

I suppose daal could be made better with lot's of ghee or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    Because out of all the Indians I've met they seem to be the only ones to enjoy it, perhaps it's just me and my experiance?

Personally I don't like that anymore I like lentils in general. I was just saying, you know, what forums are for

I suppose daal could be made better with lot's of ghee or something.
    really? i thought everyone liked yellow daal. but then im punjabi

ghee makes everything better

ReputationRep:
    All you guys thinking that you're experts on Indian food and i can almost guarentee that none of you have tried Katlamas, the finest Indian food ever to be invented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -XxX-)
    really? i thought everyone liked yellow daal. but then im punjabi

ghee makes everything better
    Haha you're just sort of proving my point :p:

(Original post by damos92)
    All you guys thinking that you're experts on Indian food and i can almost guarentee that none of you have tried Katlamas, the finest Indian food ever to be invented.
    Ahahaha I have tried them many times my friend. They range from nice (but fattening) to absolutely awful: dry meat, oily pastry etc. Though yes a decent katlama with imli chutney or something is nice.

right I've just eaten so I'm leaving this thread before I end up tandooring something.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies keep it coming, and please don't forget to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I could murder a doner, chips with naan and my mums daaaaal....... :drool:

ReputationRep:
    well we too have more than just dosa we have our fish curries such as crab, prawns tilapia and many more we also have many great meat dishes as well also we have fantastic veg dishes as well.
    poll says it allll (:

(Original post by damos92)
    obviously yes although i've never heard it being called that, had to do a quick google

ReputationRep:
    I love daal chawal

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.