Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Favourites from recent times:

I do love Eurovision, at least we're intentionally trying to be **** at this, unlike everything else where it happens by accident.
    Yea i quite liked the french entry, was quite..catchy..

(Original post by cactussed)

When is Eurovision this year?
    semis 10 May and 12 May 2011, final 14 May 2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    Have you heard this year's songs? I've heard them all, most are genuine crap. It's the worst year ever in my opinion, so we don't do too badly I don't think
    Yeah I had a listen earlier. I reckon the top 5 are probably:
    1) Hungary
    2) Azerbaijan
    3) Armenia
    4) Norway
    5) either France or Germany as the wild option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    lol is Simon going to be there again :rolleyes:
    Haha that would make Eurovision pretty special I'm actually tempted to vote them through at the semis because I think they'd be so much fun in Eurovision xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Haha that would make Eurovision pretty special I'm actually tempted to vote them through at the semis because I think they'd be so much fun in Eurovision xD
    What? I thought you were joking and it was an X Factor reference? I thought they were already representing Ireland?

ReputationRep:
    What? I thought you were joking and it was an X Factor reference? I thought they were already representing Ireland?
    The competition is set up into three stages:
    1)First Semi Final (I think the semis are aired on BBC3, though I could be wrong)
    2) Second Semi Final
    3) Final (That's aired on BBC each year)

There are 5 countries that are automatically in the competition each year, one is usually the country that won the previous year and the others, if I remember rightly, are the ones that give the most funding. This year's 5 are:
    France
    Italy
    UK
    Germany and Spain

Countries that came in the bottom few in the previous year do not take part in the following year's show. Before the final, qualifying countries have to sing for a place by attending one of two scheduled semi-finals. The countries with the most votes get to attend the final.
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/dussel...rst-semi-final
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/dussel...ond-semi-final

So, although Jedward are singing for Ireland, they will only appear in the final if Ireland gets enough points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    The competition is set up into three stages:
    1)First Semi Final (I think the semis are aired on BBC3, though I could be wrong)
    2) Second Semi Final
    3) Final (That's aired on BBC each year)

There are 5 countries that are automatically in the competition each year, one is usually the country that won the previous year and the others, if I remember rightly, are the ones that give the most funding. This year's 5 are:
    France
    Italy
    UK
    Germany and Spain

Countries that came in the bottom few in the previous year do not take part in the following year's show. Before the final, qualifying countries have to sing for a place by attending one of two scheduled semi-finals. The countries with the most votes get to attend the final.
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/dussel...rst-semi-final
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/dussel...ond-semi-final

So, although Jedward are singing for Ireland, they will only appear in the final if Ireland gets enough points
    Well Ireland blatantly found the worst song possible to avoid paying for the next Eurovision then lol

ReputationRep:
    Well Ireland blatantly found the worst song possible to avoid paying for the next Eurovision then lol
    Works well for us. Guess any countries who had gotten a bailout can't really justify the expense this time around.

ReputationRep:
    Works well for us. Guess any countries who had gotten a bailout can't really justify the expense this time around.
    I know it's pretty shameful to admit this but I actually kind of like the recorded version of the song haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    I know it's pretty shameful to admit this but I actually kind of like the recorded version of the song haha
    I fear for you.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! If anything whoever wins Eurovision should be the ones funded, not the other way round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomH999)
    The boy band 'Blue' will be representing the UK at Eurovision 2011.
    Cant say I was ever a fan but at least we know who they are.

Equally, Jedward will be representing Ireland. Need I say anything else...
    Jedward representing Ireland. OMG!!! o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Yeah I had a listen earlier. I reckon the top 5 are probably:
    1) Hungary
    2) Azerbaijan
    3) Armenia
    4) Norway
    5) either France or Germany as the wild option
    It's all about Hungary this year! I'll be there holding up the biggest Hungarian flag I can get my hands on!

Our song isn't actually too bad though I'm not the biggest fan of Blue. Anything would be an improvement on Josh Dubovie from last year (bless him), good singer stuck with a terrible song. What were they thinking?

Jedward for Ireland? WTF? It's a truly awful song. Will blatantly get 12 points from us though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Eurovision 2011 seems to shaping up nicely! These are my top 4

The guy in the song below is soo dreamy :sogood:

This guy is also quite hot :fan: and the song isn't that bad

From last year I really liked Romania - I really wanted them to win!

And the sax guy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomU)
    It's all about Hungary this year! I'll be there holding up the biggest Hungarian flag I can get my hands on!

Our song isn't actually too bad though I'm not the biggest fan of Blue. Anything would be an improvement on Josh Dubovie from last year (bless him), good singer stuck with a terrible song. What were they thinking?

Jedward for Ireland? WTF? It's a truly awful song. Will blatantly get 12 points from us though :rolleyes:
    Hungary are really good, I agree! Although I will probably be sporting an Israeli flag... Ding dong is just too awesome... XD I actually quite liked Josh's song last year, but I wasn't surprised when they came last or something. Jedward's song is too awful to mention

ReputationRep:
    Josh was truly awful last year. Decent singer has had any chance of success destroyed by a truly awful song. "That sounds good to me?" Too bad it sounded bloody awful to almost everyone else mate.

Is anyone else on TSR actually going? I'll be there for the second semi-final and the final. Staying in Cologne as it's a hell of a lot cheaper! £400 per night for a holiday inn room in Dusseldorf! :eek:

Jedward = Facepalm. Ohhhh Am I headed for a car crash? Ohhhh yes you definitely are. If they get through their semi-final it's only because the rest of Europe is taking pity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Countries that came in the bottom few in the previous year do not take part in the following year's show
    I don't think this is the case anymore.

Another aspect of voting to keep in mind is that it's 50% televoting, 50% jury judging. It was used in the final for the 2009 contest, and that's how the United Kingdom came 5th.

My choices for this year's contest have been changing like crazy. Initially I really liked Bulgaria, but then I noticed that all her 'live perfomances' of the song in other countries were mimed. Then my favourite was Hungary, until again, I heard it live. Now I like Finland.
    I think France will win, personally. My 'annoyingly good' songs this year are Sweden and Azerbaijan - I hate them, but they'll do well, so I'll be screaming at the TV if they keep getting high scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    I don't think this is the case anymore.

Another aspect of voting to keep in mind is that it's 50% televoting, 50% jury judging. It was used in the final for the 2009 contest, and that's how the United Kingdom came 5th.

My choices for this year's contest have been changing like crazy. Initially I really liked Bulgaria, but then I noticed that all her 'live perfomances' of the song in other countries were mimed. Then my favourite was Hungary, until again, I heard it live. Now I like Finland.
    I think France will win, personally. My 'annoyingly good' songs this year are Sweden and Azerbaijan - I hate them, but they'll do well, so I'll be screaming at the TV if they keep getting high scores.
    I thought it was because there are too many countries taking part otherwise?

I really like Norway but I'm thinking Hungary might be the one to beat

There's another guy in it (can't remember which country but will post when I remember) that has a really good voice. He's singing a song about the environment though so I'm not sure how that'll go down

ReputationRep:
    What's all the buzz about Hungary?! *doesn't get it*

ReputationRep:
    I love Denmark, Norway and Iceland! Don't think Britain will do so badly. Is it just me or is there a lot mroe people singing in their own languages this year? That's my dream - a year where every coutnry sings in their own language.
    Like Iceland: http://youtu.be/CKlTu7fawzY

Wish they'd trained the Spanish singer a bit more. Love her look, love her voice, love her song... just needs some more control.

I am SO ****ING EXCITED!!!!! Wish I was going for the finals but ain't got the cash sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    I thought it was because there are too many countries taking part otherwise?

I think they countered that by introducing the semi final(s), which whittle the participating countries down to ~25.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.