Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you experienced? Lucid Dreaming Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had a few lucid dreams but they aren't as common as they were a few years ago. Recently though I believe I've had an astral projection. It was basically the same as what you described but the process in between was that I saw a bright white light and then realised I was free to move. My mind seemed to have been detached from everything as though I was seeing all this in third person. I was in school so I decided to go to different classes to see what they were doing. Firstly though after the white light I ended up at the back of the class looking down on myself and the rest of my class. It was so weird because when it happened I had no idea what the **** was going on. I kinda believed i was dying. The process however seemed as though it was several seconds. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. This also may have not been real and I may have been hallucinating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak9779)
    I'm really interested in this... So you are in a dream and you realise you're dreaming, so I assume you can force yourself to wake up? If not, do you not panic that you're stuck in dream-land? It seems like a natural thing to do when you realise you're dreaming to try and wake up...
    No, i'm usually pretty happy when i realise i'm dreaming because then i can control the dream and have as much fun as i want but if it were a nightmare, then i'd force myself to wake up my hurting myself which usually works. Strange how you can feel pain in dreams, no?

(Original post by r3l4x3d)
    I've heard about this before but it seems creepy as ****. How do you do it? I mean could in theory you **** up and instead of experiencing that threesome with the two hottest girls in school you've been craving, you '**** up' and end up in some sort of living nightmare where you are in theory experiencing and physically feeling things almost like LSD, Shrooms etc.?
    You've never had a lucid dream?! :O It's just like a normal dream except you realise you're dreaming so you can change what's going on by what you choose to do. And yeah, they can mess up, usually the intentions i have in my lucid dreams go some other way, and i'm like oh ****!

ReputationRep:
    I have semi-lucid dreams loads, I think it's because of my medication :L I LOVE them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    No, i'm usually pretty happy when i realise i'm dreaming because then i can control the dream and have as much fun as i want but if it were a nightmare, then i'd force myself to wake up my hurting myself which usually works. Strange how you can feel pain in dreams, no?

You've never had a lucid dream?! :O It's just like a normal dream except you realise you're dreaming so you can change what's going on by what you choose to do. And yeah, they can mess up, usually the intentions i have in my lucid dreams go some other way, and i'm like oh ****!
    It sounds to me like a safe version of LSD, not that I've tried that or anything..:L

If I'm honest I'd like to beable to do it though, they sound more common than I'd imagined are they scary if they go bad lol? :eek:

Are they easy?

ReputationRep:
    I had a very interesting lucid dream a few weeks ago.
    Because of my logical thinking whilst asleep, I worked out the world wasn't real, and I happened to be in a large room with lots of windows, water broke through the windows and I drowned. Then forced myself awake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    I had a very interesting lucid dream a few weeks ago.
    Because of my logical thinking whilst asleep, I worked out the world wasn't real, and I happened to be in a large room with lots of windows, water broke through the windows and I drowned. Then forced myself awake
    What if you hadn't forced yourself awake?

ReputationRep:
    I thought this for a while, I either thought my mind would collapse and I would be mentally damaged, or in limbo (Inception ftw?)

But yes it seems more like harm would have come than nothing

ReputationRep:
    I believe that being able to lucid dream is a gift. I've been trying it out for years, and YES, even before Inception was out!

I remember that I had a lucid dream, once. And it was the only one I ever had, and it lasted for a few seconds. I was on the stairs at school I think, or maybe not, but it definately was stairs. And I just thought, for once, maybe I could control myself and jump up to the top. So I 'jumped' in my dream, and I floated slowly to the halfway step, but still had my balance. Usually, I'd feel a "Woah, I'm going to fall!" feeling, wake up, and 'jump' in my bed like as if though I fell from the ceiling onto my bed. Does that happen with anyone else? You're running, trip, and suddenly JOLT awake in your bed, as if though you fell from the ceiling onto your bed?

Anyway, I quickly knew that this jump wasn't possible, because it was upwards firstly, and it was around 5 or 6 steps. I knew I could do anything I want. "Oh God, I'm dreaming and I know it...." I didn't want to look up, but 'hoped' I would float more, up the stairs, and I did! I can't remember every single second of it, it was more of 'consciously' knowing you're lucind dreaming for one second, then the next, you don't know what's going on, and this just resonates again and again.... Anyway, I saw 4 boys that I didn't recognise, to be honest, I think I didn't recognise them. I floated past them, but they didn't see me. I didn't scream to them or anything. I don't even think I held a happy/sad/shocked emotion at the time... I floated up one more flight of stairs, and turned my shoulder. I knew I was controlling this dream, I remember telling my legs to wiggle, and they did. As I finally came to term that this was a lucid dream, I awoke. Straight away, not the usual groggy then slowly awaking. My mind was sharp, like I was fully alert. "Holy wow, oh my God!", I whispered. I tried to dream about it again, visualise the stairs, but I couldn't lucid dream. Nor have I ever been able to since, from that 20 second experience. It was nice while it lasted.

I really tried everything. I tried writing A's on my hand, big A's, A's for awake. I wanted to see my hand in my dream, but never do. I've tried the wikihow guide, I really have tried. I even told my friends, everytime I saw them, to say, jan, you're dreaming. I just told them to say it when they could, so if I ever saw them in my dream, then maybe they could remind me. I don't see them in dreams, if I can remember seeing them, then they don't tell me I'm dreaming! Nor am I expecting them to tell me.

But to be honest, I love to dream. I LOVE it. Dreams allow me to experience a whole new life in the night, doing things that never make sense, I don't feel like a headless chicken, ever, despite my dreams having no purpose! Sometimes, when I really have my mind on something, eg a new phone for example, I can see it my dream. It's always a matter that something's happened to it in the post, and I don't try to find it. I just do things, ask people if they've seen the postman. Or if they got my post.

I just want to say thanks for this thread. It's really nice to share this experience I had, it was around a year ago. I got into lucid dreaming in year 10, and have had my times where I got really engrossed in it, and losing interest. But I just love dreaming. I have dreams almost every night, and can remember them wonderfully in the morning....

Happy sleeping, happy lucid dreaming!

ReputationRep:
    I lucid dream about 2 times a week on average, peaking at around 4 a few months ago. I had my first one at like 12 and back then my first thought was to imagine some naked woman lying down somewhere and give her some dream loving. At the age of 14, knowing i was in a dream and knowing i was causing no real harm, i began to go up to random females and kiss them and what not, was kind of erotic and very funny.

Recently though, i've matured in my dream desires and i've flown twice. It's not flying in the traditional sense, more flying as if you are wearing a jetpack and you are shooting upwards.

Lucid dreams truly are incredible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I have lucid dreams or not. It's sort of half and half. Usually I can control what's happening in my dreams and realise it's a dream, but then half way through, my control stops working. So I could be flying or walking through walls but then when I try to show it to others in my dream suddenly it stops working and I can't do it anymore. I'm sure there's some sort of psychological meaning behind that. I don't get the whole paralysis thing though, fortunately. Also the strange thing is all my dreams have been positive or neutral for the past several years. The last time I had a nightmare was before I was a teenager. Oh and I conciously dream every night, there's never a night where I don't wake up in the morning remembering what I've just dreamt.

This all probably has something to do with the fact I'm always tired too, I don't think I enter the deep sleep stages enough, just REM.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like a safe version of LSD, not that I've tried that or anything..:L

If I'm honest I'd like to beable to do it though, they sound more common than I'd imagined are they scary if they go bad lol? :eek:

Are they easy?
    Hahaha i've never tried it, so i wouldn't know :P
    They are quite common! I thought pretty much everyone had them at least once every few months lol... they're so fun! I'm hoping i have one tonight now . Lol well i don't think they're scary if you're lucid dreaming, because you know you're dreaming you kind of laugh at the scary situations. Well i have. I remember thinking once "lmao what kind of dream is this, i can't get scared, i'm in bed sleeping right now!"
    Are they easy, as in to have? Yeaaaah don't you feel like you're lucid dreaming just as you drift off? You should look up whether you can make it more likely that you'll have one

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to learn how to lucid dream for ages. I have a massive fear of zombies, though, and because you always end up thinking of the things you don't want to think about, I'm afraid I'd end up just having zombie dreams. Which ... wouldn't be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Hahaha i've never tried it, so i wouldn't know :P
    They are quite common! I thought pretty much everyone had them at least once every few months lol... they're so fun! I'm hoping i have one tonight now . Lol well i don't think they're scary if you're lucid dreaming, because you know you're dreaming you kind of laugh at the scary situations. Well i have. I remember thinking once "lmao what kind of dream is this, i can't get scared, i'm in bed sleeping right now!"
    Are they easy, as in to have? Yeaaaah don't you feel like you're lucid dreaming just as you drift off? You should look up whether you can make it more likely that you'll have one
    Hmmm...I'll look into making them. It''s something to do, yes?

If I'm asleep and I suddenly wake up with my arm outsretched trying to grab something and then realising it's not there when I'm conscious but I can remember the object (or person ) I was trying to grab is? Or if feel like I'm falling or something and have a spasm in bed when I'm drifting off?

Although I've never controlled something while dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds F*cking amazing!!!! I wish I had dreams

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...I'll look into making them. It''s something to do, yes?

If I'm asleep and I suddenly wake up with my arm outsretched trying to grab something and then realising it's not there when I'm conscious but I can remember the object (or person ) I was trying to grab is? Or if feel like I'm falling or something and have a spasm in bed when I'm drifting off?

Although I've never controlled something while dreaming.
    Haha i'm not sure if that's considered to be lucid dreaming, not really sure what that is! It's weird and annoying. Suddenly waking up kicking your legs LOL... but like when you're almost alseep to your thoughts turn strange and dream like? It's kind of a mid point between being awake and asleep. At that point you know that you're falling asleep but loads of cool stuff is going on in your head! Maybe you do that every night but never realise/ forget!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    I lucid dream about 2 times a week on average, peaking at around 4 a few months ago. I had my first one at like 12 and back then my first thought was to imagine some naked woman lying down somewhere and give her some dream loving. At the age of 14, knowing i was in a dream and knowing i was causing no real harm, i began to go up to random females and kiss them and what not, was kind of erotic and very funny.

Recently though, i've matured in my dream desires and i've flown twice. It's not flying in the traditional sense, more flying as if you are wearing a jetpack and you are shooting upwards.

Lucid dreams truly are incredible.
    Bro, what's your stance on astral projections? Lucid dreams are amazing but projections are just completely outta this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabolic99)
    Bro, what's your stance on astral projections? Lucid dreams are amazing but projections are just completely outta this world.
    Having just looked up astral projections, i can say that i haven't had one in the sense that I travelled to some afterlife realm or whatever, but about 5 months ago i had something which was definiely out of body like. This **** was spine tingling.

Basically, i woke up and i assumed it was morning as usual. I got up and to my surprise i was fully clothed and it hit me that i wasn't 'awake'. Suddenly, i just had an urge to go outside and i kid you not, i jumped through my wall, through my mom's bedroom while my mom was snoring away under the covers and out into the street. I then did some leap type ****s, where i would like long jump and be able to float. I made it up my street and suddenly i had a strong thought about a local guy who was murdered last year. It just hit me and i stood there on my own, near my shop, in the dark and i was just contemplating the guy. Then, i begin to float and next thing i know, i wake up, this time for real.

This stuff stays with me, we need to get to figuring out what the hell it's about.

Man, i need to hear your stories regarding astral projections, it truly fascinates me.

ReputationRep:
    whole thread is tl;dr. BUT i used to have lucid dreams sooo much. it mostly happened when i was having bad dreams, i could manipulate the dream so the bad thing would change into a good thing.

i can still kinda have them now, but only if ive just woken from a dream, i can force myself back to sleep to continue with the dream. but i dont control elements of it so much anymore, probably because i dont really have nightmares.

its a shame because its such a great feeling, good dreams and controlling your dreams really puts you in a good mood the next day. #

edit: omg having just read a few replies on this page, i didnt realise people could control dreams inception style!! i would love to make myself fly!! my 'lucid' dreams are fairly mild i guess, i can only manipulate elements of the dream itself...im only half aware that im dreaming: i know i can change whats going on, but my brain doesnt tell me im dreaming as such...half awareness i guess.
    im so excited to sleep tonight now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    Having just looked up astral projections, i can say that i haven't had one in the sense that I travelled to some afterlife realm or whatever, but about 5 months ago i had something which was definiely out of body like. This **** was spine tingling.

Basically, i woke up and i assumed it was morning as usual. I got up and to my surprise i was fully clothed and it hit me that i wasn't 'awake'. Suddenly, i just had an urge to go outside and i kid you not, i jumped through my wall, through my mom's bedroom while my mom was snoring away under the covers and out into the street. I then did some leap type ****s, where i would like long jump and be able to float. I made it up my street and suddenly i had a strong thought about a local guy who was murdered last year. It just hit me and i stood there on my own, near my shop, in the dark and i was just contemplating the guy. Then, i begin to float and next thing i know, i wake up, this time for real.

This stuff stays with me, we need to get to figuring out what the hell it's about.

Man, i need to hear your stories regarding astral projections, it truly fascinates me.
    I haven't been to another realm as well but these past few weeks have been extraordinary. It's as though my mind/soul is detached from my body. It had happened last Wednesday. Basically I was in my lesson sitting back relaxed. Halfway into the lesson I saw a bright light and I got a slight tingly feeling. That's when it happened. I was behind the classroom looking down on my class. I swear to you I could hear everything my class was saying and I could also see myself sitting on the table. I then flew to other classes to check what they were doing. When I came back into my physical body I was really disturbed. I literally missed two days off school because I had no idea what was going on. The thing that actually shocked me was before this I had no idea what Astral Projection was. The only person I've told is my mum and she doesn't seem to believe me although If it had happened to anybody else I wouldn't have believed them as well.

ReputationRep:
    I get sleep paralysis more often than I'd like to but I can only remember telling myself to wake up in a dream on one occasion.

For whatever reason, I'd climbed on top of a big building and regretted it instantly.

I told myself to wake up instead of going back down.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.