Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    So why are you dictating to others to wear it before talking when you are guilty of the same? A little consistency would be nice. I don't even like niqab and I still cringe when people try that "individuality" guff. Not every woman is empowered by being half naked and thrusting her sexuality in the face of every passerby. Judging by the shedloads of cosmetics and fake tan I'm not convinced that most girls want to show their faces properly anyway.

Some girls like it, some don't. Fin.
    The only alternative to wearing the Niqab isn't being a glamour model so that's stupid. And it's not guff, faces are the most important part of a person's body. If you have no face then people can't tell what you're thinking, how you're feeling, anything.
    It's got nothing to do with attractiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    I don't see how. I know it's PC to act all cool with it, but I can't help being uncomfortable about the matter. It may be their choice on the face of it, but there is a certain level of indoctrination involved. Very few women who weren't brought up that way choose to wear it. Yes, the same can be said for all clothing and habits, as everything is cultural, however it is quite extreme and apparently has quite a large (potentially negative) fallout on the wearer's life.
    Please elaborate on the highligted. I'm not sure how it is extreme? Furthermore, what negativity does it have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    But my point still stands. You can't bring Arabia into Western Europe.

And by the way, sure Arabs weren't the only inhabitants living there but they were certainly in majority whereas in Britain we're the minority.

If you don't like living here, why don't you run back to Arabia than? :curious:
    Islam originated in Arabia. Why are you practisin it here?

Btw, when did I say I don't like living here? If I wanted to move to another country I can't. I'm still studying at Sixth Form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #Funky)
    I remember reading it somewhere. I'm new to Islam, I'm still learning. But my foundations are pretty strong.

If it is incorrect then it is.
    Spelling doesn't matter, changes nothing in Islam except when you want to read Qur'an. I was just asking cos I thought there might be an actual reason If you want to learn a bit of Arabic for these words there a lot of links I can forward to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    Spelling doesn't matter, changes nothing in Islam except when you want to read Qur'an. I was just asking cos I thought there might be an actual reason If you want to learn a bit of Arabic for these words there a lot of links I can forward to you
    Yes. I know but being correct is always good . I'd love to enhance my knowledge of the Arabic language and even learn it so I can speak it fluently!

ReputationRep:
    Please elaborate on the highligted. I'm not sure how it is extreme? Furthermore, what negativity does it have?
    Covering up your entire body except for your eyes is more extreme than the traditional dress of other cultures, which is why the niqab freqently comes under attack and lederhosen, for example, do not.
    As somebody pointed out, no I have never worn one either, but going from other people's reported experiences, it can be very divisive and alienating. Speaking from the other side, I know that I find it harder to talk and interact with people wearing it and I'd imagine I'm not alone in feeling that way.

ReputationRep:
    Covering up your entire body except for your eyes is more extreme than the traditional dress of other cultures, which is why the niqab freqently comes under attack and lederhosen, for example, do not.
    As somebody pointed out, no I have never worn one either, but going from other people's reported experiences, it can be very divisive and alienating. Speaking from the other side, I know that I find it harder to talk and interact with people wearing it and I'd imagine I'm not alone in feeling that way.
    Again, your points are pointless. You're trying to debate against me over the internet. You can't see my but only read my words.

How are you doing it? Silly.

ReputationRep:
    Islam originated in Arabia. Why are you practisin it here?

Btw, when did I say I don't like living here? If I wanted to move to another country I can't. I'm still studying at Sixth Form.
    Yes, I do practise Islam in here but I believe my actions never alienate other people from me, despite the fact I live in an area where majority is non-Muslim.

People should respect each other, no matter what their religion or belief is. I don't go around and start preaching people and forcing them to change their views.

So please :hand:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do practise Islam in here but I believe my actions never alienate other people from me, despite the fact I live in an area where majority is non-Muslim.

People should respect each other, no matter what their religion or belief is. I don't go around and start preaching people and forcing them to change their views.

So please :hand:
    It's funny you say that yet you follow Christianity by celebrating Christmas.

I don't go around starting to preach and force them to change their views. I'm just sticking by my views

ReputationRep:
    The only alternative to wearing the Niqab isn't being a glamour model so that's stupid. And it's not guff, faces are the most important part of a person's body. If you have no face then people can't tell what you're thinking, how you're feeling, anything.
    It's got nothing to do with attractiveness.
    Do you know what is equally as stupid? The premise that a superficial cloth makes you invisible and erases your identity. It is quite simple. Present one extreme and I'll present the other. Newsflash: strangers don't want to share their feelings or thoughts with you.

-- Edit: Celebrating Christmas doesn't make you any more a Christian than eating kinder eggs at Easter. Jesus doesn't care about December 25th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    I do not give a rat's arse about what some Muslim women may wear or do not wear. Some people who are massive busybodies make it their business to tell other people what they can and can't wear. People need to leave other people alone. :pierre:
    This.

(Original post by Spexzzz)
    What really troubled me is i saw a muslim couple at the GP with their new baby, the wife was covered up head to toe, just showing her eyes. My question is how do you know thats your wife o_o.
    :rofl: I would pos rep but I have none left.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually asked a muslim girl whether she wants 2 wear it?

surely it would be better to ask someone who wears it rather than some fool who thinks they know how it feels! .. we dont need jack straw or some journalist telling us what people can wear or cannot wear

i think its pointless coming from someone of a different culture/religion/country to argue that other muslims girls seem degrading because they choose to cover up their faces

I dont really think its anyone business to tell anyone else what to wear .. I doubt you would tell a girl wearing a short skirt to cover up..

the clothes of a person do not cause harm to society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    I don't like the niqab, I think it's degrading and it's not fair on passersby in our society. I, however quite like the hijab
    What if that's her choice? she "wants" to?

Forcing someone to wear anything is unacceptable; whether it covers up the person's face or not. Almost all women who wear it here, understand they cannot be forced into it because they can tell the authorities they were forced which means "justice" Women here know this is a free country and so some choose to wear and others do not.

I like the niqab, it looks awesome :yep: - I don't know how they do it though. If I was a woman I would never be able to wear one and go outside! they have guts for doing it.

Hijab is also cool :yep: - Just when a woman is forced into it,, then it's a totally different story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Has anyone actually asked a muslim girl whether she wants 2 wear it?

surely it would be better to ask someone who wears it rather than some fool who thinks they know how it feels! .. we dont need jack straw or some journalist telling us what people can wear or cannot wear

i think its pointless coming from someone of a different culture/religion/country to argue that other muslims girls seem degrading because they choose to cover up their faces

I dont really think its anyone business to tell anyone else what to wear .. I doubt you would tell a girl wearing a short skirt to cover up..

the clothes of a person do not cause harm to society
    Indeed. I have asked and I am aware of Muslim girls who wear the Niqab or Hijab by their own choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    What if that's her choice? she "wants" to?

Forcing someone to wear anything is unacceptable; whether it covers up the person's face or not. Almost all women who wear it here, understand they cannot be forced into it because they can tell the authorities they were forced which means "justice" Women here know this is a free country and so some choose to wear and others do not.

I like the niqab, it looks awesome :yep: - I don't know how they do it though. If I was a woman I would never be able to wear one and go outside! they have guts for doing it.

Hijab is also cool :yep: - Just when a woman is forced into it,, then it's a totally different story

ReputationRep:
    Again, your points are pointless. You're trying to debate against me over the internet. You can't see my but only read my words.

How are you doing it? Silly.
    And again, we don't live our whole lives over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny you say that yet you follow Christianity by celebrating Christmas.

I don't go around starting to preach and force them to change their views. I'm just sticking by my views
    Celebrating Christmas does not make me a Christian. Christmas for me does not hold any religious connotations, I consider it a social event and use it an an excuse to get together with my friends and for me all that matters. :grin:

Many Atheist celebrate Christmas here, but that does not make them Christian, does it? :curious:

Now go and do your homework. :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    And again, we don't live our whole lives over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Celebrating Christmas does not make me a Christian. Christmas for me does not hold any religious connotations, I consider it a social event and use it an an excuse to get together with my friends and for me all that matters. :grin:

Many Atheist celebrate Christmas here, but that does not make them Christian, deos it? :curious:

Now go and do your homework. :ciao:
    Aah. An excuse over excuse. It's funny how you celebrate other religious festivals to be social. I'm sure Xmas is a time Christians spend with their family.

You gettin' the turkey on?

Homework? Ah, don't worry about me. Worry about your self. Please don't reply.

ReputationRep:
    What's your opinion on the cummerbund?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.